Lets get rid of force-feeding!

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Jumbur, Feb 8, 2021.

1. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I don't like the current force-feeding mechanic, where you have to actively munch on junk food to prevent your good statfood from being eaten.

I have 2 separate suggestions:

1. Food as a consumable: You get stats from the food you just ate, ignoring what you have in the bags. Otherwise it works a bit like it is currently.
    2. Food as a gearslot: You have 2 extra gearslots, one for food and one for drink, you put your statfood there and you get stats from it, the food is never consumed, and you never feel hunger/thirst.
    In the case of suggestion 1. some of the statfood is not worth the trouble(even with overseer) if it only lasts a day. So look into making the mats easier to get, not everyone can forage equally...

Do you guys have any suggestions? :)
    Cuuthbert likes this.
  2. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

My suggestion is not touching a thing.

Ngreth has already stated that he hates the fact that you can force feed and keep stat food and drink around longer. Any change to the system and I can guarantee that you will lose stat food and drink faster ... probably like tribute ... you always get charged at the start ... so you would always consume an item when you move it at the top to get stats ... how would you like that?

Forage complaining is a 2004 issue. You are in a raiding guild. If you aren't dumping materials to one person who makes stuff for the guild, your guild should think about that. Otherwise, a play session every other week if you MUST have stat food the whole time is what you need to invest to get the materials. It's not hard.

I know the expansion was short. I know folks are running out of things to do. But the amount of nitpicky changes people have posted in the last week make me think that most of you just need to get out and play the game ... or do something else and get off the boards.

If it's not new content and fixing broken current content, every waking moment of developer time should be to fix lag issues. There is nothing that will kill the game faster that the lag issues.
    Barton, Zaray, Elyssanda and 10 others like this.
  3. Basak Augur

I do like the idea of food and drink slots, though I still think consumption needs to be a thing. Of course, I also think hungry and thirsty needs to have more of a penalty but not going to get into that.
  4. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I would be ok with that, if they tuned the recipe-difficulty for it, Statfood was easy too maintain(without force-feeding) in the voa- tds era for example. :)

How do you guys handle forcefeeding and being afk? do you shuffle bags around beforehand?
  5. Annastasya Augur

Would it be so awful to create another sub-economy? Or revitalize an old one for that matter.

If our stat drinks and food consumed normally, like one would expect- that is, in order to get the stats from the food, you would have to consume them, then i suspect what would happen in game is this:
    You would see bakers and brewers making food and drink on the regular for their guilds, fellowships and friends. You would see players farming the materials and selling them, or the final products in the bazaar for a profit.

It would be something like the times when the potions, or poisons were a thriving market until some equilibrium is reached.
  6. Angahran Augur

'Force feeding' is a bug, bordering on an exploit.
    A consumable item is supposed to be consumed for you to get the benefit from it.

If you could get the benefit of a potion without drinking it, it would be an exploit.
    If you could get the benefit of a charged item without using a charge, it would be an exploit.

The fact you can get 1 of a stat food/drink and basically use it forever should be fixed.

Or make a new AA, 'Endless Pantry' which lets you use food/drink without consuming it.
  7. Aanuvane Augur

I simply flip the stat food out for MTPs and KCs before I knowingly go AFK or I deal with declining stat food and just make more.
    minimind likes this.
  8. Cicelee Augur

I agree about force feeding low stat food and still using high stat food is not right. However there are far more important issues in the game (raid lag among the highest) that need to be addressed and fixed first before I want devs to spend time on stat food and force feeding...
    Duder likes this.
  9. Syylke_EMarr Augur

I've never used force feeding. I just make enough food/drink that I can consume it as normal. It's not hard, or all that time-consuming, to do. 1 food/drink will already last multiple days of playing without using force/feeding.

I do prefer the EQ2 method for food/drink. Basically you configure an auto-consume and it gives you a buff with the stats. It would require changing how food works currently, but could convert current food/drink to be a clicky that gives a long duration buff that persists through death (and is immune to dispel?).
  10. Svann2 The Magnificent

I wouldnt mind too much treating food/drink like potions but then current potions dont require you to forage in 8 expansion old zones. If food and drink are going to be consumed faster then they shouldnt require old content either.

Also, if food and drink are like potions maybe they could have other effects instead of just stats. Healing, mana regen, etc
  11. Jumbur Improved Familiar

In voa, rof, cotf and tds you could often get enough mats in a regular play-session, for a half stack of statfood/drink, without going out of your way to farm for it.
    It was mostly just a single combine of "essence of <insert expansion>" with stuff bought in pok, and you were done.
    They even had alternative recipes, if you didn't feel like killing that day, and just wanted to fish( or something).

Post eok-recipes are much more cumbersome.
    Crafting (and farming for) a consumable should not take as much effort as crafting regular gear imho.

I hope they take that into account if they change the mechanic. :)
  12. Nargoul Journeyman

Foraging is the worst game mechanic ever implemented.
    Jumbur likes this.
  13. seber Augur

if don't like force-feeding no make you do it ?????
  14. Qelil Augur

Amen. I don't think the severity or seriousness of the technical problems can be overstated really, If it was an easy problem to isolate and fix odds are good it already would be.

Stat food is functioning as designed. It is a consumable. If you want to milk it by munching roots, fine but it doesn't need fixing, changing or worse yet a new feature.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  15. kizant Augur

People bother with stat food? o_O
    Nniki, Zaray, Elyssanda and 1 other person like this.
  16. Vaeeldar Augur

I will say that I’d be fine with just consuming stat food (I mostly do now) but when they change that they should also fix the insane recipes for food/drink. there is no reason anybody should have to collect oranges no limes from old expansions. Everything should be in the current expansion. I don’t think any other TS does that.
    Silfh V'Ester and Pikachuuu like this.
  17. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Pretty sure they are all on Olwen in WW now. Limes, oranges, coarse salt etc
  18. Vaeeldar Augur

Please tel lame your kidding. really?
  19. Svann2 The Magnificent

Not seeing orange or lime on Olwen.
  20. Cadman Elder

Shhhhh! :confused: