How do I get timestamps to save on the tell window?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Fudly, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Fudly Elder

I know it's possible to do this, but no amount of setting it and restarting the client is working.
  2. Raytan Augur

Right click on the bar at the top of the chat window, where you would normally lock the window, change settings, etc. You should get a pop up that shows the lock window and other settings. At the bottom of this pop us are settings for time stamp. They have several time stamps to choose from, depending on how detailed you want the time stamp to be. For example: hh:mm, hh:mm:ss, etc.
  3. Fudly Elder

I mean. I've set that. Upon restarting the game, it will no longer be set. I'd like it to save that I want to see timestamps.
  4. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Custom UI?
    Are you /camping or /quit? when you leave the game?
    Using Patcher?
    run file verification. This is on the log in screen when you choose the account your going to use - its in the lower left and looks like a cog and I think it says advanced options. Just click it and then on the next page chose the one that checks your files.

Did this just start or have you never had them save? Or never used them before?
  5. phattoni Augur

run the game as administrator, thats how i fixed this problem.

for some reason it wasnt saving my settings without permissions, i set the permissions and now i have no problem.

might work for you too.
    Nennius likes this.
  6. Fenthen aka Rath

I get timestamps for all chat windows except my dynamic tell window container. I can set timestamps, but they won't retain, in that specific window.

I think the answer is having a dedicated chat window for tells (like a normal window with tells filtered there) but then you of course won't get tabs per-person you are chatting with.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  7. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I wish for a static tell window that automatically gives tabs per person.
    Fenthen likes this.
  8. Fudly Elder

I figured out how to do this. The trick is to close all chat tabs. Create a new chat window that appears in the place your private messages appear. Turn timestamps on in that chat window. Close that chat window. Now, whenever you get a tell, it'll have timestamps.
  9. Vmar New Member

In the UI ini file it shows as:
    ChatWindow0_TimestampFormat=1
    1 is H/M/S
    2 is H/M
    3 is M/S
    Each chat window you open, gets assigned a name (ChatWindow0-XX). Each tab in your tells window is equal to a chat window. So as the above posted stated to open a new window and timestamp it, then close it. However if you get a second tab tell window, it will not be timestamped unless you open 10-20 chat windows and timestamp them all, then close. Can check your INI file as well but the lines are not created in the ini file until you make a new chat window.

You may also be able to just go into your ini file and put
    ChatWindow0_TimestampFormat=1
    ChatWindow1_TimestampFormat=1
    ChatWindow2_TimestampFormat=1
    ChatWindow20_TimestampFormat=1
    to timestamp windows, but I didn't try it, so I'm not sure if it will work.
    Rondor, Fenthen and Warpeace like this.
  10. Conq Augur

I have had the same issue ever since tabbed windows started. It just never saves. When using <Use Tell Windows ON> I've found that a second or third tab (tell) will save the timestamp settings, but once the window is closed (and all tabs lost), the newest tell window will not be timestamped again. My work-around has been to create a new window for tells and <Use Tell Windows OFF>.
    Conq
  11. Vmar New Member

You need to close all windows that you're actively using for tells, create new chat windows (multiple) and set time stamps on all of them.
    Rondor likes this.
  12. Conq Augur

With "Use Tell Windows" toggled on, I get one popup chat window with no timestamps. Another tell from another character, and my same newly spawned tell chat window adds another tab - again without timestamps. I set the multiple tabs to timestamp. I close that window (and all subsequent tell tabs.) I receive another tell. Up pops a new tell chat box - with no timestamps. That's the way it's worked for me since it's inception.
    Conq
  13. Rondor Augur

The workaround to get it to work requires you to start with NO popup tell window open. If someone sent you a tell that popped up a new window, close that popup now before doing the following procedure.

Now that the popup tell window is closed, right-click any window and choose the option to create a new chat window. This first new window will appear at the spot your popup tell window would normally show up.

In that new window which is NOT a popup tell window, set timestamps to on.

Don't close this window yet. Repeat the same thing: create a new chat window, set timestamps on for it. Keep making a bunch of new chat windows, enabling timestamps on each, without closing these new chat windows just yet.

Once you've created a few windows with timestamps on, NOW go back one by one ideally in reverse order and close all those new windows.

NOW turn on popup tell windows and have someone send you a tell. You should finally see timestamps. More tabs in that popup tell window, up to the amount of new windows you created in the procedure above, will have timestamps.
  14. Conq Augur

That worked, thanks!
    Conq
    Rondor likes this.
  15. Warpeace Augur

This worked to fix it for me. Thanks
    Barton and Fenthen like this.
  16. Fenthen aka Rath

Thanks for the info Vmar!