My OCD

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Kase, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Kase Augur

Thanks for responses you all.... seems the consensus so far agrees with me that its NAMED! and some of you are also just annoyed by people saying namer.
    Can we get a Dev to chime in and make it official that the word namer (well non-word) is stricken from the EQ language?
  2. code-zero Augur

The official Dev word is Rare and has been since '99 though it was years before they called it that. It's the rare spawn marked by a placeholder or PH. Now that I think about it the placeholders often have a unique name themselves
    Vumad and Elyssanda like this.
  3. Jodiddlydoo New Member

"By crikey! Get a load of this namer!" - Steve Irwin
  4. Goranothos Augur

Back in days of yore, we called it "an*l retentive".
  5. Flatchy Court Jester

This.

Oh also the Plink thing is stupid as well. Someone once tried to tell me Ding was for level and Plink was for AA.

Molo sounds wrong as well, but we are stuck with that one.
    Rolaque and Duder like this.
  6. Vumad Cape Wearer

I've read all the posts so far and the only thing that bothers me is the misuse of the term OCD. Calling ones thoughts about "Namer" is about as OCD as it is "Epic". A vastly over used term which dilutes the meaning of it. Based on the abuse of the term Epic, Devs should feel pretty okay giving us some trash quest for new weapons and calling it Epic, because, everything is Epic and everything is OCD.

If someone using the term Namer results in your inability to sleep, loss of functioning in society, neglect of self or others, etc, then you should seek professional help. Otherwise it is a pet peeve, and should be referred to as such.
  7. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

While there were rare mobs since the beginning the moniker in yellow, "rare" just came into play for hunter /ach

When you Consider NPCs (/con) you will get a message. The message relays three things. The first is the NPCs attitude toward you. The second is how tough the NPC is compared to you. The third is if it is "a rare creature", also called a "named" mob.

Up until recently, it was hit or miss on whether classic spawns that would meet our criteria as 'rare' were flagged. However, as hunter achievements have been implemented, we've identified and flagged these NPCs.
    As of the June [2017] update, consider information shows whether your target is rare. For example: Lasna Cheroon - a rare creature - scowls at you, ready to attack -- what would you like your tombstone to say?
    NPCs flagged as rare have a higher chance to spawn during a bonus rares event. The bonus is a multiplier on their chance. So, for example, if the bonus were 76%, a rare NPC that has a 10% chance to spawn on its encounter will have a 17.6% chance instead. Note that this does not guarantee the rare, but it does make it significantly more likely to appear.

Dev's seldom use the word "named" but instead use "spawn" or "mob" etc. While "named" is seldom used they never use "namer"
    code-zero likes this.
  8. Kase Augur

I call many things OCD (just as many use namers vs named), but it sounds like you have pet peeves also. Like the misuse of the term OCD.
    Sorry you feel like the term is misused, and I did misuse it...but title stands.
  9. Accipiter Old Timer

"We're hunting some named mobs in EW."

FTFY
    Kase likes this.
  10. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

I typed it that way, it was edited by wordfilter. Rather Banal really.
    Goranothos likes this.
  11. Elyssanda Bardbrain

I"m just happy there are other people this bugs.. I've cured my close eq friends of this, although they will use namer just to rile me up.
    It's like politics in Gen chat, just don't. Many of us use EQ as our escape hatch from the real world and don't need or want politics/religion (unless it's EQ gods) involved. I can spend 12+ hours at work getting slammed, yes that is how it feels, by politics and the news, so when I get home or time off, I don't want that (scatological reference here) invading my fantasy game.
    Flatchy likes this.