Would be cool if...

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Jimmy2times, Dec 21, 2020.

1. Jimmy2times Elder

I think a DoN (Dragons of Norrath) locked server would be pretty cool for this upcoming TLP. I have observed the same argument multiple times "no no we dont want X server because it already exists". All the current TLPs will eventually reach live at some point with time if that comes to exist, except for Agnarr. DoN locked would be a bit different for the most part it is still "classic-ish" locked and a good era imo. Thanks for reading, and if you wouldn't mind giving it a consideration.
  2. jeskola pheerie

No to all era-locked servers
    Kobra, Skuz, Machen and 3 others like this.
  3. HoodenShuklak Augur

Anything era locked is basically an expiration date.
    And from what it's worth don raids were a joke.

Pop lock kind of worked because its old school but also the end game was stacked.

I just don't see don lock being anything to sway any significant population to say, hey this is the one! The hoppers will still hop and the people trying to ride to live will have to look elsewhere.
  4. Xeris Augur

Oow lock is what I want, make it happen fam
    Jimmy2times likes this.
  5. Gremin Augur

and why lock in the middle of the 4 expansions where you are stuck at 70? DoDH is amazing, PoR is absolute trash...
    Skuz likes this.
  6. Tweakfour17 Augur

DoN is an..interesting..end point. The final raids are minimal and after farming anguish for months have few upgrades for most raiders. The group content is fairly abysmal as well. In my opinion there is 3 maybe 4 points that could even be considered good expacs to lock on (note: era locking is dumb, don't do it).
    1. Planes of Power - end of the nostalgic run, lots of end game stuff. Bonus, add LDoN...oh wait..thats Agnarr.
    2. The Serpent's Spine - All races and classes and now unlocked (note not all combinations, oh well). Expansion was designed around starting at lvl 1, content in TSS for 1-75, can complete all the way through epic 1.0/1.5/2.0/2.5. Lots of low level/mid level quests. Decent end game raids. XP is live, so levelling doesn't take forever.
    3. Seeds of Destruction..ish - Mercs are out so the people who stick around won't struggle as more and more quit.
    4. House of Thule - Heroic characters + Mercs = Catchup and play with the few people that are left.

No other expacs really offer a natural end point, anything before between PoP and TSS is either too close to PoP or right in the mid of the 70s slog. Anything after HoTish is close enough to live you might as well just let the server finish it out.
  7. Jimmy2times Elder

Id be cool with that as well.
  8. Jimmy2times Elder

Thanks for the detailed explanation my man.
  9. Jimmy2times Elder

Idk, I think everything has an expiration point even the game itself, but thanks for sharing.
  10. ikarinokamii Elder

an ERA locked server other pop or before is the only thing that makes any sense.
    1. OOW is too close to pop
    2. Don is not bad however I think either TSS or SoD are better options.
    TSS because of the group support and zones and SoD because of mercenary which are essential for when the server ages out.
    3. I think SoD is the best choice then TSS then DoN although i think if you are going to DoN you might as well go to PoR.

addendum - i think heroic characters defeat the point of era lock TLP server.
    Tweakfour17 likes this.
  11. Xoner Baby Joesph Sayer

It would be cool if they stopped splitting up the server populations with high frequency TLP server releases. But money talks.
  12. Jumbur Improved Familiar

How about a "Traveler race" -server... all expansions are unlocked, the winner is the guild who can get all the explore achievements first! (yes! even the raid zones)
    you still need to quest/earn all the needed keys/flags, as none of the locked zones are open...

Could be interesting to see what route people would take...:p

A temporary server, a bit like quarm...
  13. Machen New Member

So, since you'd have to beat the current live expansion, this would probably only appeal to current live players. And I doubt there would be a lot of interest. It would not be trivial to create a new guild on a new server with new characters and beat the same content that your mains on live just beat.

Also, if all of the expansions are unlocked, most of the locked zones will no longer be locked. Doubt that's something they would want to toy with.
  14. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I think one major reason Agnarr was ever popular to start with was likely due to the Mac version having been stopped at that point & the Mac version having built up a sizeable following before it was shut down.

Another would be a bunch of nostalgia freaks who really didn't want to go beyond PoP, ever - I think they're all on Agnarr now (or were & eventually found it boring) & I do not believe there is a sufficient population outside of Agnarr who are interested in a locked-era server beyond PoP - a handful of folks on the forum could be found for any "cause", but there's no way near enough to justify another locked era server in my opinion.

Hell the PvP fanatics were noisier about a PvP TLP than the handful of era-lockers who can't even agree which era to lock it between themselves, and there were only about 20 PvP bois and boxes who ever showed up on Zek.

Nice daydream idea to entertain maybe, but the server would be a desolate barren wasteland faster than Coirnav was.
  15. Jumbur Improved Familiar

You misunderstood me, I didn't say "beat", I said "traveler achievement". The last locked raid-only zone was SoD-tower I think(so korafax raid-prog would be the end "raid") the last locked group zone was mearatas. ToV/CoV is open, so just running around for a few minutes is required there. Technically it could all be single grouped...no-one said you had to "explore" them in order, or at the right level...;) Half the race would be strategic route-planning...
    Well, if they can't adjust locked/unlocked-status for keyed zones, per server, then the race would be over once people have leveled up to whatever level restrictions ToV/CoV has, and would only last a few days. Which makes the idea not so great. :oops: