Another noob question.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by smills428, Dec 19, 2020.

1. smills428 New Member

Hi. I just rerolled a toon. I haven’t really played since the luclin days. It was my first mmo then, and I didn’t really know what I was doing. I’ve played a few since those days, and have a pretty good understanding of mmos. My question is, are there many quests in the starter zones? I don’t remember there being many back in the day, but that was a long time ago. I was running around Freeport looking for some to no avail.

I usually grind a lot in these games, so it doesn’t bother me, I’m just wondering if I’m missing something.

Thanks.
  2. RizLoaner Elder

Most of the noob armor quests were taken out as the gear rewards were too powerful. Not sure when they come back, maybe in luclin or pop but there really isn't much anymore that will give you any sort of exp at this point. On past tlp's it was a different story but not anymore.
  3. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

PoP is when you will see the newbie armor quests show up, which also ties in with the unlocking of the Gloomingdeep tutorial. These newbie armor quests were originally introduced with the Froglok Race & LoY I believe.

There is a list of "when do we get feature x" on the following zam page, it's not exhaustive but you may find it useful:
    https://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/eq:Progression_Servers

I also keep a list of some stuff on a google doc I shamelessly borrowed:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Cxd9SBRPZZDE0pdym_JuzJZNkuwn5zZlRoKy_SbAGG0/edit#gid=0
  4. Ezra Journeyman

That said, if you specifically want to do armor quests, all of the Iksar classes have long quest arcs for class-specific gear, many of which persist all the way to the highest levels of the game. One could view this as a bonus or detriment of starting Iksar, depending on your fondness for EQ-style mob camping.
  5. Tweakfour17 Augur

Your spreadsheet is not set to viewable to anyone with the link.
  6. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Tweakfour17 likes this.
  7. Fluid Augur

It really depends on the character type. Some types like Druids or Magicians can pretty much solo to the 50s w/o armor. Ditto for some types like Necromancer and Shaman.

The early expansions had softer MOBs then later expansions. I find that even Tattered and Patchwork armor work OK up to ~level 10.

If I was to roll a new character w/o support from existing characters a good path is to level the character to ~5, put 20 points into Tailoring at your Guildmaster, then buy patterns and ruined hides off vendors to help with cash and armor. You can actually turn a slight profit doing it this way if you make sure you use patterns that only consume a single hide while getting to trivial levels of skill.

There still are some low level armor quest that have been in game forever.<?> I do the Lizard Tail turn ins for large rawhide armor. I think you get rewards for doing the Lizard Meat quests there as well. Ditto for Qeynos evil factions with Hurrieta's Bloody Dress.

One of my favorites to do for physically small character types is the Scarab Breastplate. I think it cost ~2.1pp + the cost of materials which I buy off vendors. This much pp shouldn't be a problem since there are several quests you can do even at level one that pay ~6 gold per.

If you tell the character type, I think people can get more specific.