Ultra rare world drop for CoV expansion

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by LesserArchi, Dec 16, 2020.

1. KrakenReality Augur

There's no point in arguing with someone like that. They think in the 20 years since launch that none of the developers have thought to build tools, incorporate 3rd party tools, or develop any aptitude to efficiently itemize the game.

Plus, they're confusing artists and developers. People like that think they are being nice and complimentary, but they're not. They're disparaging every developer that has walked through those doors.
    Bobokin likes this.
  2. Bobokin Augur

We don't need to get into personal intentions, but there is some rationale to both what they are stating and to what your reply is. To be fair, players ask for changes that look small but are really either a pain in the butt to do or actually cannot be done with the archaic code. In this case, it is about the easiest thing to ask and get completed. Substance Painter and database tools are available to make quick action of this.

It doesn't affect me much because I am a casual player, and the odds of me getting one of these items is slim. I only chimed in to give my opinion on if it could have been done rather than if it should have been done. The previous chase weapons didn't get replaced until the max level changed.

I believe this situation is like the dad in the movie Elf who signs off on publishing a book that is missing the last two pages. Someone said, "This is good enough, " and signed off thinking the players wouldn't really notice. Well, players wanted to know what happened to the puppy, or in this case, if there are any additional chase items in this expansion.
  3. Celephane Augur

Didn't RoS use the same rares as EoK?
  4. Bobokin Augur

So did TBL, but a few evolving armor items were added.
  5. Celephane Augur

I see you have misquoted me, nice. TBL did not, those drops were RoS raid stuff. Anyway, historically not every expansion gets new stuff, CoV doesn't have to have new stuff either. These items when put in the game have never been exact copies, only the stats have been. The names are different, the graphics, color, visual effects, etc are all different. I really don't see the big deal with items not being put in this expansion, seems normal to me.
    Lannin likes this.
  6. LesserArchi Elder

Yes but I don't think the stat was very comparable to T1 drops, comparable to T1 armor.
  7. Celephane Augur

These items are never armor. Just weapons and non visibles. And I'd argue that the raid drops were better than RoS T1 group stuff. I don't base everything off of hp/mana when it comes to gear
    Lannin likes this.
  8. LesserArchi Elder

You are right but had something to compare to. Chase stuff was lot better than RoS T1 group gears
  9. Vaeeldar Augur

It did but they were still useful. At this point the only item still worth using is tower shield. T2 group gear is about equal - t3 group gear better. I don’t much care either way but chase loot is now pretty useless.

Oh also pet focus ear, so two items I guess.
    OldCa61 likes this.
  10. Xyphen Maximum Augur

1. It probably isn't any different from any other expansion. There are a lot of things they "could" have done just for the sake of adding new ultra-rares, but:

a) This isn't the first time they've decided not to. Ring of Scale didn't have new ultra-rares, they carried over the same ones as EoK.
    b) Maybe their design philosophy is not to 100% re-use old models. I don't know, I don't work there. But they obviously have a reason for not adding them.

2. That was an analogy. My point was that extremely small changes can take significantly more time and effort than they seem. Throw in a pandemic + upended work environment, the loss of a producer + senior developer, etc. It's not hard to see why they chose not to add new ones factoring in the current environment.

3. There probably are, and they probably have reasonable reasons for not using them. Onboarding new tools and integrating them into a team takes time as well, and if the benefit isn't immediately obvious, they may not think it's worth the time. The larger the team, the longer it takes.

I trust that the majority of devs on the EQ project who've been in the business long enough are qualified to make that assessment.
  11. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

The EQ dev team is very small and they are well aware of what would be nice to add to the game. They want to add more stuff. Really. They are not sitting around drinking coffee rubbing their hands in glee going, "You know, it would be super easy to add more stuff and would only take an hour but I'm going to go watch YouTube videos instead."

If you want to blame people, the upper management of EQ (all the companies that have owned it over the past 21 years) has constantly starved the game of staff. Since Day One, the management took the money and used it on other projects instead of reinvesting in EQ. Now we are down to a lot fewer players than in the past. I go play in CoV and some zones are practically empty. That's a bad sign.

All we can do is hope the new owners inject some cash into the game and we can start to see some improvements maybe six months from now.
    Zynt, Yinla, Skuz and 2 others like this.
  12. Celephane Augur

All 3 of them! 989, Verant, Sony, SOE were all studios under Sony = 1 company. Daybreak just sold it, = 2nd company. New guys = 3rd company
    Nennius likes this.
  13. Bobokin Augur

That was a direct quote. How were you misquoted?

The TBL items were "chase loot" evolving items:
  14. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

But thats the thing they didn't have the time. To change the stats on an itme means recreating that item and giving it a new name. BPs were on beta for a long time before they got their clickies added, Ngreth posted it took a day to do all 16 BPs and he wanted to do them all in 1 go. Changing the look also means the artists have to get involved, meaning more time needed.

Ngreth does more than just items, quests, missions, raids, tradeskills, etc. If he took time out to do as you ask, I'd hate to think what would have been left out.
  15. KrakenReality Augur

I can't be the only one that thinks 1 day for a feature designed to last for 1 year, doesn't seem that unreasonable.
  16. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Lets hope that the new owners are prepared to invest in more manpower for EQ1. :)
  17. Nniki Augur

It takes 1 week to create the effects on the chest pieces:
    Duder likes this.
  18. KrakenReality Augur

I’ll admit I’m a little perplexed by his statement about talking to players. When’s the last time the BP click effect has changed for a class? Stuff like this really makes me miss Fan Faires.
  19. Tappin Augur

I don’t buy that this was a mistake. Every expansion there is something similar with rates, hence is known recurring problem. Then why, does it continue to happen?
  20. KrakenReality Augur

Wrong thread, bro. You want the thread with complaints about the ore drop rate being nerfed.