Website Safeguard/Botprotection gets out of hand

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Kitekat, Dec 8, 2020.

1. Kitekat New Member

This is really annoying. I get it that the site needs protection from autobots and trojans. But since a couple of weeks I have to partly make the testing 4 times in a row every time so that this stupid system accepts my answer. Please lower the security level to somewhat reasoned or change that nasty of all nasty annoyances to something which is secure and works on the first try. What are cookies for if you don't use them. There is no reason to ask it 4 times in a row stupid answer - and no, I know how a hydrant looks and I don't need to click it again and again and I don't have any autodelete or virus/trojanprograms without control on my system. If the security level of this crap needs to be upped then the security program is trash!
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Well, you could just never log out.

Who knows what determines the frequency but I have not seen one when logging into these forums for over a month. Knock on wood.
    Tatanka likes this.
  3. Jumbur Improved Familiar

It is not about protecting the website from bots. It is about categorizing random pictures, so that our AI-overlords will learn how to bomb fire-hydrants rather than traffic-lights, when they try to take over the world...

/tinfoilhat :eek:
    Herf, Zynt, Sinsa and 2 others like this.
  4. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

The reCAPTCHA protection is run by Google. Daybreak can choose to use it or not, and when to use it.

For example, they could use it only when creating an account, which is what I think might be good enough. They currently use it on both account creation and whenever you sign into the forums.

They have also decided to not permit you to stay signed into the forum if you do not sign out. So you have to sign back in every time you close your browser.

Daybreak does have the ability to set whether you pass based on the "score" and to set the range from "Easiest for users ------- Most secure".

I find it annoying but I understand why they use it. I've run websites and if you don't protect them, you get dozens of fake accounts created every day.

I do think they should permit you to stay signed in when you close and reopen your browser, however. Thus, you could sign in maybe once a week and only have to deal with the reCAPTCHA then.
  5. Zanarnar Augur

This might be a setting on your end. I only have to sign back in if I've signed in somewhere else. (I use my work desktop, and my home one. If I don't sign in at home it stays signed in at work, even if I close and re-open my browser. I do have firefox set to keep all my previous tabs so when I re-open my browser it pops back up all the tabs I had open, Forum included. You might be clearing your previous session every time you close your browser. (I've set them up that way too on a shared environment.)
    Riou, Nniki and Fanra like this.