Rain of Fear - Velishan's Revenge - The Scales of Velishan

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Downtoplow, Nov 7, 2020.

1. Downtoplow Journeyman

Over on Phinigel, we have been going back and farming currency and doing vanquisher achievements for a couple of the RoF chase items (Bifolds, Carillon Box of Lost Souls, Rods of dark rites). We are down to only one raid achievement left - The Scales of Velishan.

The Scales of Velishan - Defeat Velishan after she has used all forms in this order: Magic, Ice, Fire, Disease, Stone.

We've tried and blanked on this achievement four straight times and we can't figure out what, if anything, we are doing wrong. It seems we cannot switch her from Scales of Disease to Stone form at the end of the form changing line. We don't use dots, we nuke her with ice first to get scales of ice, then we nuke magic to swap her back to scales of magic, nuke her with ice again to swap her back to Scales of Ice, then we nuke with fire until she throws up scales of fire, then we nuke disease until we get Scales of Disease. After we get her to buff herself with scales of disease, we get stuck. When we begin to melee her, she won't change stone form at all. We've tried unequipping weapons, no pets, no bard songs, we tried only monks, and nada each time. We are beginning to think maybe it's somehow bugged.

I know there was an issue with her that was addressed about a year ago in the December 18, 2019 patch: Velishan's Revenge - Corrected a bug that would make it impossible to force the dragon to change forms.

My question is has anyone done this achievement since last December?
  2. Metanis Bad Company

We did this on Luclin a few months ago. As a cleric I don't pay much attention to dps strats but I know we failed this achievement one night and then came back a week later and was able to accomplish it somehow. My vague recollection is that we went through the color swaps 2 full times? Perhaps Saroc or Zunnoab could weigh in, they were leading the raid the night we did it. It was sometime during this summer of 2020 though, definitely recently.
  3. Soulbanshee Augur

Procs matter, have to get rid of any proc aug, proc armor, proc weapon, sym proc, proc buff, and if possible disable proc AA or tell those classes to only use the spell types of that proc during the right phase. I think we also had to ban pets, but especially no swarm pets at all, nothing that cannot be controlled.

We found you cannot just cycle it then burn it down at the end. You have to VERY carefully slowly DPS, switching damage types each time it changes. If you flip it the wrong way its failed.

The cycle twice may have just been because we had to DPS slowly to ensure nothing of the wrong type landed. Triggers help, have to immediately stop the damage type that's resisted once the form changes. I think if Velishan blows up too many times it fails it or something like that.
  4. Downtoplow Journeyman

Appreciate the replies. We soft tank her with a knight using ALEX and no DS. We only nuke the appropriate type of magic to swap her forms. Once she gets scales of disease, all casters stop casting and our melee go in. Our issue isn't her changing to the wrong form, it's that we can't get her to swap from Scales of Disease to Stone form. At 110, we should be able to straight melee way more than any proc damage.
  5. Ranonman Elder

6. Soulbanshee Augur

It's not out-meleeing proc damage, there has to be 0 damage of any other type I think. If there's the bad thing happening message because of other damage it won't work. And good call forgot about the no DS also, but make sure there's no non-obvious sources of DS like the TBL illusion buff.

Have everyone trigger these phrases:
    This type of spell cannot land while Velishan is shielded by
    This type of ability cannot land while Velishan is shielded by