Why VP key spawns not shortened on a time limited TLP

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by BarryGarry, Sep 23, 2020.

1. BarryGarry New Member

Why is the spawn the same as live was, rather than making spawns faster since we all have limited time till velious comes out
  2. Captainblood Lorekeeper

Got 2 easy ones:

1) you're already subbed, so no monetary incentive to doing more work
    2) the amount of griping during patches and the inevitable additional 6-12 hours of downtime afterwards >> amount of griping b/c of draconian questline
  3. SwordandShield Lorekeeper

I can think of two reasons.
    Reasonable: They don't want to trivialize the quest completely. VP is the a keyed raid zone, and it should be difficult in some aspects to quest the key. Making the spawns to easy turns the quest into a simple tour of Kunark zones.
    Cynical: The development team doesn't care about making quests or zones more accessible in era. Even with slower expansion release schedules, new expansions make 90% of old content worthless, and given enough time all older content (in general) becomes worthless. The developers don't want to spend time fixing old quests when they could be doing higher priority stuff.
  4. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

They were shortened, it isn't the same rate as it was 19 years ago.

April 20, 2016
    - We have reduced the time needed to gather the keys to Veeshan's Peak in the following ways:
    - - Reduced the respawn timer on the Top Shard of the Jarsath Medallion by half.
    - - An ancient Jarsath is now about three times as likely to spawn rather than a placeholder.
    - - The bloodgill marauder will respawn twice as fast.
    - - Verix Kylox's Remains is now almost twice as likely to spawn rather than a placeholder.
    - - The shard of the Kylong medallion that spawns in the Kaesora library will respawn twice as fast.
    - - The rotting skeleton has had its chance to spawn instead of a placeholder slightly increased.
    - - The pained soul has had its chance to spawn instead of a placeholder slightly increased.
  5. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

As Bobbybick posted the quest has been significantly shortened by speeding up the pace of getting MOST of the key, the two remaining roadblocks are the ones that were a boring pain in the backside on live & the early progression servers.
    Phinigel had the old slow paced version for just over a month prior to those changes going in.

Now personally I feel like rotting skeleton & pained soul are still too damn slow & that they create too heavy a bottleneck but some players like that you have to camp some things for days at a time, masochists abound in EQ.
  6. Captainblood Lorekeeper

Why is a long spawn or rare spawn rate timesink used interchangeably with difficulty? At no point was I ever fooled that I was a better player because I could sit at my desk and wait longer than another. Where did this idea come from and why is it being perpetuated?
    Duder likes this.
  7. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

EverQuest always had time-sinks built into the gameplay, it was there from the inception.

Some of it I don't mind but I think that after 20 years a lot of us have lost the patience for excessively long boredomquesting though, one big thing about WoW was it taking out a lot of that boring gameplay deliberately.
  8. Gremin Augur

I question if the An ancient Jarsath is actually set right, seen people sit there for 8 hours with no spawn....and they where slaughtering the areas it spawns in.
  9. Mismezz New Member

Instead of medallion fragments, why don't they just drop (or have as ground spawn) the full medallion. That way there are multiple camps for each full medallion, while reducing the need to camp every single shard of every medallion
  10. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Anecdotally, we would routinely go 15-25 hours between spawns on Ragefire and Phinny(Prior to the patch)
    Skuz likes this.
  11. KermittheFroglok Augur

I agree they have been adjusted in the past and I'm still personally skeptical of that thought that these need to be changed further.

However, the counter argument some have brought up on other threads is that these changes were made in response to 2016 TLP populations, whereas today we're seeing more TLP volume especially from COVID-19.

I'm still of the thought that what people are describing on other threads is actually reasonable relative to Live many many years ago, but I suspect people are frustrated because it's become more competitive from what they may be use to from the past TLP iterations or P1999. With that in mind, the debate obviously devolves into whether the current TLP should be closer to Live progression or closer to preceding TLPs. That'd be best discussed broadly on a different thread though.
  12. Stepbrowhatamidoing New Member

or it could be people still buy krono to pay for each spawn, thanks for all those 10 kr per aj kill. Long as krono is involved they are not going to rush to fix it. Also as someone who has done the VP key on multi servers, the only diff i see is bloodgil and the ground spawns. The other ones are the same regardless of what was said in patch notes, ive seen PS go 20 + hours, ive seen aj spawn b2b2b2b2b and go 10 + hours in between.

Its all about you guys buying krono to pay to get into a raid zone where 90 % of everything rots.
  13. sebbunwolvesbane New Member

So, I spent the day camping Rotting Skeleton. I think there's a bug. Rotting Skeleton seems to spawn 4x as often in Picks than main (I had a guild group in one with me in the pick). I have a rather low sample of ~8 hours of kills (at ten minutes a kill likely on average, maybe higher so probably around 200 kills total). I got 2 spawns in base pick, and a whopping 7 spawns in the pick.

In short, I think whatever fix they did to increase the spawn isn't live in the base pick. I'd shoot for the picks if you can grab them.

If they made this change in base pick and picks, I think we'd see major results. As it is, the camp is really bad.
  14. sumnayin Augur

They are shortened, Getting VP keys is infinitely easy than it was on Fippy 9 years ago. Also, timers have been reduced since I played on Coirnav, which was already reduced from before.
  15. Erekai Journeyman

I certainly won't argue that they HAVEN'T been reduced in the past.
    But I WILL argue that they absolutely SHOULD be reduced further.

I have never, and I mean never, ever, had less fun in EQ than doing this key quest.

It makes no sense to have this kind of bottleneck when: 1) People can open their own DZs of the raid zone, 2) expansion cadence is every 3 months, rather than like a year, back on live. Maybe when there was only 1 open world version of the zone available, and you had a year to consume the content, okay, sure, I can see an argument for this quest being as painful as it originally was. But these two things are not the case on TLPs (in my case, Aradune). It really needs to be adjusted down further. This quest is incredibly un-fun, and really saps the enjoyment out of playing EQ.
  16. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

Sir i was told the VP hasn't changed since Phinny. This was after server first on Phinny. So clearly you just made this up.
  17. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

Because it's not about difficulty it's about exclusivity and relationship building with your guildmates.
  18. Thunndar Journeyman

It's sad when the easiest part is killing Trakanon, other than the rat turn in.

AJ is a nightmare that needs addressed. The rest I can deal with
  19. Machen New Member

Seven weeks into Kunark and fifteen guilds have killed Phara Dar on Aradune. That's at least 500 characters flagged, probably twice or three times that as I'm guessing most guilds aren't rolling in with <30 toons and EQ Baby must have a bajillion keys by now.

Yeah, the key isn't fun, but with five weeks to go, at this rate virtually every guild that wants to will finish VP in era. Still doesn't seem broken to me.