Returning/new player with TLP questions

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Frid, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Frid New Member

Hello,

I played everquest 2 back in the day and I have played 2 TLEs, but they die out with time. I heard this is not the case with the original Everquest, is it? I would like to experience the game from Kunark up until level 70 or so. Do servers last enough for people to experience later expansions like the ones up to level 75?

I also played everquest around TBS era and I played a wizard, I think she was level 80 or so a couple of expansions later. I no longer enjoy live servers since they're a barren wasteland and I also don't like mercenaries. The thing is, I have never reached max level in any expansion, so I am basically a total noob.

So my questions are, is it a good time to jump in Aradune and enjoy the server in its current state? Is levelling up as slow as P1999? Can I play a wizard or will I struggle too much? Option 2 would be a Magician or maybe a Necromancer, but I don't really like melee classes other than maybe the Shadowknight.

I am not entirely sure I would manage to level up fast enough to keep up with the rate of expansions and all, do you think I would enjoy a locked server like Agnarr or P1999?

Any advice is welcome, thank you all.
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

EverQuest's TLP servers experience player attrition too, at least they all have so far.

They have almost all started out in "classic" with a lot of players 25+ guilds etc and over time they lose players & guilds, typically each expansion will see a loss of 1-3 guilds, some of those will be as a result of mergers.

Note: Coirnav did not start as well as most largely due to having extremely slow XP to begin with and being launched too close to Phinigel - it has live xp now but only a couple of guilds remain.

Note: Miragul was a "Heroic" TLP that started in a much later expansion and all characters created there start as level 85 Heroic characters, it is also a Truebox server & had a less than superb starting population, there was just 1 single guild there actively raiding since it opened, a few others tried starting up there but very rapidly collapsed.
  3. Captain Video Augur

Aradune is in the middle of Kunark right now. Velious will unlock in about another six weeks. You can enjoy the server a lot if you're not rushing to get in on the heavily-contested spawns at level cap. It makes a big difference if you know someone else who is playing or will start playing there, because finding PUGs at lower levels takes some patience. If you're going to solo for a while, know that a wizard is more difficult than average. You'll see quite a few other mages and necros. But, you should play the class you enjoy, which is often the class you already know best. You can try more than one.

Playing on a content-locked server is a personality choice, really. Some people like them a lot, others can't stand them. Agnarr is a much different experience from P99, since the latter only goes to Velious, and Agnarr goes through PoP/LDoN/LoY. It's like triple the content, with a lot of QoL improvements as well.
  4. Frid New Member

I don't have any friend who plays original Everquest, no. I would try to be proactive when finding groups but a bit of soloing is expected of course. I know Wizard is not the "smartest" choice but it is my favourite class. I don't like melee classes in EQ1 as I find them a bit dull. Maybe I should go for a mage as it should be a decent soloer and a good DPS class.

WOuld you guys say TLP maintain a healthy population until at least OOW?

Thank you both for your advice