TLE Needs Increased Pick Instances Spawned (Especially Aradune)

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Trebor, Sep 8, 2020.

1. Trebor Journeyman

A lot of bottlenecks / overcamping issues would be solved by decreasing the number of players needed to spawn a new pick.

For instance, I'm on the last step of my necro hat. There's a DOZEN level 60s farming mobs in the fort, trying to get a piece of the charasis key. Poor level 20s trying to exp anywhere near that.

Each mob I need for the quest has about 4 people in line for it, whether it's in FV, EJ or even Skyfire.

Seems like a low cost way to really improve the quality of life on these super crowded servers. They weren't designed for these populations!
    Talimat and Thewiz like this.
  2. Tweakfour17 Augur

Yes and No, picks put stress on the server infrastructure and then you end up with chat/zoning lag and server instability. Its kind of a no win for DBG at this point
  3. Protagonist Tank

If you wait to do the bottleneck camps so long everyone with a pulse has time to faceroll pug to 60, you'll be sitting at bottleneck camps with everyone who faceroll pugged to 60.

You've learned an important lesson for next TLP.
  4. Trebor Journeyman

Looking at your post history, you aren't helpful, insightful or funny. I don't know if you're trying to roleplay your user name, but it's awful.
  5. Captainblood Lorekeeper

Have to agree with this one. Been unfortunate enough to encounter this guild more than once. Seems every new tlp gets a increase in number or severity of punks
  6. Captain Video Augur

Four? You're complaining about a queue of four? Wake me up when the queue is at least 50, at which point I can tell you that isn't unusual for a TLP. If you're actually talking about a TLE, you're in the wrong game forum, that's EQ2.

You can't get personal picks for any of these zones, because the servers can't handle it. Period. Full stop. You're playing 20+ year-old content in a 20+ year-old game engine. If you want unrestricted access to the old content, play on a Live server. Otherwise, the competition is part of reliving the experience.
  7. Sikkun Augur

Game has no problem handling personal instances. LDON, DoN mission, DoDH missions, heroic missions, AoCs, instanced raids, etc.

What it can’t handle is the pick system sucks and they don’t want to rewrite zones to be instanced using the systems that can actually handle it.
  8. Dragnet Sleuth Elder

The original experience of EQ was not like it is today, by a long shot.
  9. Trebor Journeyman

I don't understand why people are fine with this overcrowded nonsense. If they can't handle opening up 1-2 more picks, up the hardware a bit. It's cheap these days, and thousands of us pay our sub fees.

I don't mind waiting my turn a bit, but it's gotten to ludicrous levels.
  10. Dragnet Sleuth Elder

How I remembered Kunark era:

Most guilds still concentrating on Vox and Naggy as the "major" raids. Most of playing population in the levels 30-53ish, with a far smaller portion actually at max level for months and months.

The most explorative players and guilds running around talking to very NPC, exploring every little corner trying to find out where epic drops and NPC's might be, then taking that information to their class forum and comparing notes (while most people waited for the quests to be solved and guides published). It took most active players weeks and months to finish their epic.

Most of the population leveling were in Old Sebilis or Karnor's Castle. Chardok was mostly empty. Overthere and Lake of Ill Omen were easily the most heavily populated zones of the lower level toons, but still didn't feel overcrowded.

Talendor was usually killed after about about an hour, Sev usually up for around the same, and Gore often up for days before someone killed her. Venril was often up for 3-4 hours before someone gathered a force big enough to kill him.

Almost no one was looking for Veeshan's Peak keys or had any clue where pieces might be if they did have interest in it. Xalgoz was almost never camped. The Jade Chokadai Prod was almost never camped for itself, in fact the sarnak fort area was usually camped only by people leveling up there. It was usually not too difficult to buy a prod off of them for 500pp or so if you wanted one for your shaman (or HS key).

The top guilds started figuring out where the VP key pieces were and the top 1-2 of them were the only ones really making the effort to key up and go to VP. They had the spawns all to themseleves. The rest of the population who liked to raid weren't interested in possibly losing their body and gear in that zone.

Everything in general was relatively well spread out. Regardless of level, if you wanted to go camp goblins in Warslik Woods or some other place with a named rare, you usually good find it open. Sebilis was really the only place that was ultra packed with people, with K.C. being busy too. Epic mobs like the broken golem can be up for hours before being killed, and no one is sitting afk feigned in Fear for hours waiting to be the first to know it popped.

===========================================================
    Now what do you see? 25% (made up number) of the population is level 60 in days. 50% of the population is level 60 in a week. People finish their epic on the first day of Kunark opening, either having firsthand knowledge of the steps needed or reading one of the dozens of guides that take you step by step through each one.

Anything worth while is camped to death. Anything worth Krono ($$$) is going to get KS'd by that level 60 epic mage or necro (or a duo of them). Everyone knows about VP, how to do the key, and that there is no risk of losing your body. They start camping for the key as soon as the server opens.

Anything considered of value is camped to death and contested. People rarely move on if something is camped, they just call in more help.
    HoodenShuklak likes this.
  11. HoodenShuklak Augur

Don't forget we all had school in the morning too...
  12. Protagonist Tank

Careful. If those rose colored glasses get any thicker, you risk normal daylight setting your eyelashes on fire.
  13. Dragnet Sleuth Elder

Rose-tinted nothing. That was what it was like and is like now in my experience. Maybe your server was different.
  14. Protagonist Tank

Then you were definitely a part of that "level 20-30 something player wandering around lost in a guild hoping to raid vox" crowd still doing classic content in kunark era. Because the behavior at the upper end was 1000x worse then than it is now.
  15. Dragnet Sleuth Elder

Nah, actually I was max level and one of the first monks with their epic and one of the first humans who completed the Iksar Whistling Fists quests. Thanks, though.
  16. sumnayin Augur

You know when I was raiding Emp Ssra/NToV during Luclin/PoP...my brother's guild was raiding Kunark. This has never been a game about everyone having their items ready for them when they want it.
    Celithan likes this.