MAG - RBoB vs Treaded

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Evurkvest, Aug 19, 2020.

1. Evurkvest Augur

Runed Belt of Boromas vs Treaded Boon of Potential for a Mag? Which is better dps? Anyone done the math and/or parsed it?

I did some quick testing back when Threads of Potential was 3000 dmg and found the TBM belt to be better but haven't given it much thought after that.
  2. Szilent Augur

3. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

The RBoB is still better.

Kizant's website does a nice job of telling you roughly how much threads is worth (~2k dps over a standard mage rotation). But it's really hard to get in-game adps properly set up with it, especially over long event time frames. Which is why I wear RBoB and just check after the cycle.

My post-cycle check is (I'm wearing RBoB):
    Number of direct damage hits x 5000 = Threads hypothetical
    If this number is less than the Force of Corruption X line in the parse, keep wearing belt.

For the last cycle parse, the difference was about 9.4M, even with the 13!!! percent resist rate for the proc. Given that I'm still using a UF sympathetic fire proc in range for 13.5M over cycle, it's still worth it to me. I suspect mages will see a little less than I due to better crit damage adps for wizards, but I bet it's still worth it ... assuming to you a gain of the dps is more than the stats boost of the modern belt.

Part the reason for the continued longevity of the RBoB is the increase of time under burns on raids in ToV. You are not getting a second burn on Griklor ... and if you try for two on sleeper, one of them sucks. All other raids, you can get two full burns in and pretty much plenty of targets available for the duration of burn. Since most raid forces still probably see at least 10m between events, burn times as a percentage of total raid time has never been better.

Technically, a modern belt will move you up to a new luck bucket, so you'd have to add in the delta of the luck increase on the threads side. Given that difference between 100-109 luck bucket and 110-110 luck bucket is so very, very small (1 percent increase in the luck critical damage add), it can be mostly ignored.
    Szilent likes this.
  4. Sancus Augur

It's less cut and dry for Mages.

Your analysis is a good way to go about comparing the two focuses, but Wizards and Mages are too different in this situation to extrapolate from one to the other. Fury of the Gods is the biggest difference, as it makes RBB's base damage effectively 5,445 for four minutes of an event for Wizards, versus the 945 it normally is. Since the proc isn't focused by most things anyways, SPA 303 is pretty close to actually increasing its base damage.

With how small these effects are overall, the differences in stats do come into play. Setting up a normal ITC burn in Kizant's web app for a Mage with RBB gets me 1,224,402 DPS. Swapping to Threads drops it to 1,222,984 DPS (a 0.12% decrease). However, adding 10 luck (105 to 115) and 40 SD gets me back to 1,224,224 DPS. That's a 178 DPS increase for using RBB.

In pretty much every other situation, Threads will be a (very small) DPS gain. Using our normal sustained weave with just Black Wolf and Season's Wrath for ADPS, I'm seeing 557,196 DPS. Changing to Threads and adjusting Luck/SD, that goes to 558,309, a 1,113 DPS increase by swapping to a new belt with Threads.

Over the course of most raid events, using a new belt with Threads is going to be higher DPS. Technically on a burn RBB has an advantage, but in my opinion it's too small to be worth swapping belts or something.
    Duder, RPoo, Marton and 2 others like this.
  5. Szilent Augur

ought to be Complimentary Velium Infused Gem of Striking?
    Duder and Sancus like this.