How Does Windstriker Bow's Proc Function?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Azurefrost, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Azurefrost Elder

I just recently acquired the Windstriker Bow from Plane of Sky.
    https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=5522

The effect says that it causes the target to Levitate, Take 100dmg, and NPC stunned for 7.5 seconds (PC 3 seconds) and works up to level 85. However, doing some tests on various mobs this information seems to be inconsistent.
    I first used this on NPC in kithicor and observed them being thrown into the air, but they didn't seem to be stunned for 7.5s. More like it was stunned for 1-2 seconds, then the NPC started moving towards me while still levitated in the air until the "whirlwind" debuff wore off.
    When I tested this in Plane of Hate it still did damage and threw the mob up into the air, but they immediately fell back down and didn't notice a stun any longer then other 1s stun proc weapons.
    As expected, on bosses they took the damage (reduced to 60 instead of 100 on MotM), but were immune to stun and levitate portion of the effect.

Is this weapon functioning correctly? Because I couldnt seem to find a situation where a NPC was stunned for 7.5 seconds like it stated on the proc. Further it seems the stun when it does land is only about a second and the NPC is free to move towards you while in the air.
  2. Qbert Gallifreyan

Longer-duration stuns never used to last full duration on npcs. I want to say it is limited to about 4 seconds or thereabouts, but it has been probably 15 years since I was using the long duration stuns (paladin) to even notice the issue.

I don't think they ever changed it, but I could be wrong.
  3. Azurefrost Elder

Interesting. I wonder why they advertise it as a 7.5s stun if it doesn't even last for that. It also seems to vary not only on the stun, but the Levi effect too. Off random mobs I'll throw them up in air and about 2-3 secondslater they will come running at me while still being 20ft in the air which kinda sucks. Then off planar trash they will still get thrown up but only for a second like they took a big jump. Also hard to tell if the stun last for more than a second either. Of course I didn't expect the stun/effect to land on boss mobs. It's better that it doesn't because it prob piss off your raid if boss suddenly was floating above their heads.

Just wish I knew the stun didn't last as long before I got it. Because while better stat and ratio bows come soon after it, having a bow that could stun for 7.5s would still get some use.
  4. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

It appears to me that Darkpaw never "advertises" that it has a 7.5 second stun. The in-game text (going by Allakazam screenshot) says, "A whirlwind traps your target in the air, causing a great spin as well as 100 damage".

It is true that the text that the player doesn't see says:

1: Levitate (1)
    2: Spin and Stun NPC's for 7.5(s) or PC's for 3(s), up to level 85.
    3: Decrease HP when cast by 100

I would guess that the text the player does not see is either incorrect (either it always was or the effect was changed) or simply not detailed enough (as in the maximum might be 7.5 seconds if the stars align but usually is not).

I would guess that somewhere down the line they realized that a 7.5 second stun was hugely overpowered (it seems to me that a mob could be stunned for an entire fight, never able to do any damage) so they changed the effect but never changed the text the player does not see.

But text the player doesn't see can't be advertising, since you really don't see it unless you go into the file in your game folder or visit a third party website.

It might be a good idea for Darkpaw to change the text you can't see to match what it really does, or make the text you can see say what it does.

Normally, I would assume they wouldn't take the time to update an item so old but with TLP servers getting all the love, it might be something they do.
    GNOME_POWER likes this.