Devs check quest NPC spawn rates please

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Deadshade, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Deadshade Augur

It seems that after the end of the bonus XP and increased pawn rates for "important" NPC, something got messed up.
    I cannot talk for all quest NPC but with a friend ranger we were checking for 2 quest NPC (Ivy Armor quests) during the last 24 hours .

1) Thistle Underbrush in Lfay
    We have been seeing him often during the increased XP period but we have seen 0 (zero) spawns during the last 24 hours.
    2) Wiltin Windwalker in OOT
    We have also seen 0 (zero) spawns during the last 24 hours. However as it is a static spawn, we have seen 14 PH so can confirm that the PH is spawning.

Considering that the timer for the second quest NPC is between 75 and 90 min (more than 1 EQ day !) , it is particularly anormal that no quest NPC spawned.
  2. Healiez Augur

1) pretty sure he can spawn from any pathing brownie, maybe in the last 24 hours people just arent killing the brownies in Lfay.

This seems to happen a lot, people just get used to the increased spawn rate, then hit a string of bad variance and it appears to be broken. (not that it isnt broken, which could be the case)
  3. TrollMan Elder

Thistle Underbrush from my recollection has a roaming faerie maiden as a PH. Check that out :)
  4. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Neither of those NPCs benefited from bonus rare spawns.
  5. Deadshade Augur

Well "people" e.g my friend and me WERE killing brownies.
    Didn't I say that we were trying several times these last 24 hours ?
    Yet no Thistle.

As for Wiltin, since my first post I am now at PH N° 17.
    Come on, this would make it rarer spawn than Lord or AM or many other high end NPC.
    Is it really believable that a mid 30ies level quest for ranger leggings would take 20 (or more) spawns with spawn timer between 75 and 90 minutes ?
    That would be worse than many epic quests ....

For information : I play on Aradune
  6. Machen New Member

Yes, yes it is believable.

A lot of those quests were miserable slogs in 1999.
    Mezrah likes this.
  7. Febb Augur

Hi, welcome to classic EQ. Isn't it fun?
  8. Boze TLP complaint factory

Not abnormal at all.
    1. Thistle has a bunch of different spawns, his PH isn't necessarily a brownie.
    2. Wiltin is just a horrible, horrible camp. 24 hours without seeing him is totally normal.
  9. Maze Elder

Oh you think Thistle is bad? By the way, we got him 6 times in an hour, he's not considered rare, and this was while farming for the 4str shoulder quest.

I've been at fierce impaler for a week 6-8 hrs a day with no harpoon and only 2 fierce Impaler spawns. I've seen 79 placeholders between piercer and impale swordfish.

I'll go spawn Thistle in 15 minutes. You're not killing the right .

I actually had an inventory (2 40s, 1 18, 3 10 slot) full of the damn swordfish bills.
  10. Deadshade Augur

Update :
    Yesterday opened a new pick in OOT so I started to kill the PH also in OOT.
    At the present time over 48 hours, I have killed 19 PH in main and 7 PH in the pick .
    That makes 26 PH with a spawn timer more than 75 minutes and 0 Wiltin.

If this is not a bug then I don't know what is.
    I don't know if a 48 or 96 hour camp for a mid 30 level leg armor quest made sense in 99 but it clearly makes none on a TLP. We are not talking epic quest here !
    Any character could simply level from 30 to 50 and be in full planar armor long before this Wiltin spawns.
    So now that I put so much time in it, I would like that a dev has a look if this spawn is not bugged.
    It can't take more than 10 minutes .
  11. Mattling Elder

It's not a bug.

Took me 23 PHs before Wiltin spawned for me on Agnarr years ago. Seems consistent with that.
  12. CokaSZ "Oh they baited us"

Did the Fierce Impaler during the bonus and got him to spawn twice in 13 hours. Luckily second spawn dropped the Darksea Harpoon.

Someone offered me 500pp for it.... That's a 1/3 of the price of a Ebon War Spear..... I politely declined.
  13. Protagonist Tank

This statement is accurate.
  14. Febb Augur

These rares in classic expansions have like a 3% chance of spawning on a table of several different PH's that can spawn at multiple locations. The RNG is a beech sometimes.
  15. Drummer New Member

Laughs in Verina Tomb
    KimchiGoddess likes this.
  16. SunDrake Augur

They could, and they do.

Ivy Etched Leggings take many, many hours to complete and at no point have they ever been an item that is 'worth doing' if you are concerned about how you spend your EQ time. You can finish the quest, you can grab Mithril or Silver Plated Legs, or you can get Thorny Vine at 50 like most everyone else. The difficulty you are having with spawning the NPC is pretty standard, though. Definitely not a bug.
  17. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

First of all welcome to EQ! Here's some quick math for you. If your rare is a 5% spawn rate (that's an estimate on my part, but 5% is a pretty common rate for many classic era quest mobs) that means, on average, 1 in 20 spawns will be the named. That also means that, on average, 19 out of 20 spawns will not be the named. Knowing this, we can calculate:

0.95^26 (95% chance of not spawning a named per cycle, to the 26th [number of PH's spawned] power) = 26.35%.

This means that if you spawn 26 PH's, 26.35% of the time you will not encounter the named. 73.65% of the time you will have spawned the named within the same number of PH's.

So essentially you've encountered a 1 in 4 chance of not spawning a named, and are now claiming that "if this is not a bug then I don't know what is." These are close to the same odds as flipping a coin twice in a row and getting tails both times. Have you been unlucky? Yes, slightly. But variance is a cruel mistress, and one we should take the time to understand in a game like EQ before just complaining that things must be broken.

Also as Bobbybick already pointed out, neither of the mobs you're complaining about were ever affected by rare spawn bonus events.