Any longtime players never bother with tradeskills?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Raptorjesus5, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Tatanka Joe Schmo

One data point only, I know, but when I did my PoP progression in the fall of '17 (so it was still kinda popular), finding mobs up in PoP zones was really no big deal at all. This was on Tunare.
  2. Garmr Augur

Never did tradeskills and typically hate doing them, but they're pretty damn easy and relatively cheap to get to 300 now across the board, so I banged them out to do Shawl 3.0. The quests are easy and the reward is great, plus doing the quests I've found is a great timekiller and giving me something to do while I wait for the next xpac to drop (on TLP).
    Szilent and Skuz like this.
  3. CrazyLarth Augur

i am in the same boat I hated Tradeskills I gave up after trying to do them for the 1st Shawl quest I got to like #7 and gave up. I do find that I used all my PP mult times now buying the items to get to 300 and to level the trophy I am still short need more PP I think I have 5 more to level still on my 1st char to ever get a 300. Is it worth it I do not know I plan to play the game the long way and do the shawl quests and I plan to do the PoP raids so I can do that other Aug quest . Its a game and time sync but that is why I play.
  4. Zamiam Augur

what are you doing to raise your TS skills up that your using soo much pp ? I've done the majority of the TS's on my main and most of them can be done with between 40 - 75k pp to get them to 300. some farming required but also doing certain combines and selling the finished item back also helps .. you should really look up the Ultimate Trade Skill Guide .. Google it .. it is your friend ...I cant believe the amount of pp I have saved by using the above guide .. there might be 1 or 2 that you would need maybe a bit more pp but majority is easy .. research, smithing, jewel craft, tailoring, baking and brewing are ones I know of that ive done with less pp .

Ive read people have spent millions of pp on a single TS that is ridiculous especially now with overseer where you can get some of your mats for free .. between overseer and minimal farming and buying from NPC's and waiting for good deals in baz and or asking your guild .. there shouldnt be any reason people are spending millions of pp on 1 TS skill even 200k pp is a bit high ..

Now the run from 300 to 350 might be another hill to climb .. I have not focused on my TS's above 310 .
    here is link to the Guide:
    http://mboards.eqtraders.com/eq/for...i-mods/36211-the-ultimate-eq-tradeskill-guide
    Aanuvane likes this.
  5. Raptorjesus5 Augur

I just did Tailoring to 300 after getting some inspiration from this thread, and it has cost me 500k in materials that I had to buy. Not counting the opportunity cost from not selling all the pelts/silks that I had collected on my own. Now granted 500k isn't exactly an astronomical amount of money these days, but it's nothing to sneeze at.
  6. Zamiam Augur

not sure what you paid for .. if you used said guide above and followed it .. all you needed was 4 main mats rest are vender bought for less than 15k .. use pelts
    1. go to CR and get base skill up to 54 for free..
    2. go to freeport and get trophy quest (complete trophy quest for beginners )
    3. by the time you do trophy quest your Tailoring skill should be around 66 or so
    4. buy or farm rough , pristine , excellent pelts ..
    5. use rough pelts to make leather wrist (triv 158 ) Pelts are usually cheaper than silks as most silk armor req 2 silks vs 1 pelt for leather ..
    6 . use pristine pelts to make leather wrist till you hit triv ( triv 243)
    7 . Use excellent pelts to make leather wrist till you hit triv (triv 310)
    wow and 300 skill in no time .. like i said before pre-planning is key .. farming some of the pelts help .. set up a buyer and buy the pelts you need at a reasonable price point .. OOC in newbie zone area's to buy all their pelts . pristine and excellent will have to go to lvl appropriate zones (not newbie) .

when I start a new alt .. and believe me I have a ton .. I save everything I usually dont have to worry about any low lvl TS mats .. and If i know what I need before hand i'll set up a buyer for a week or 2 and buy what I need ..

If your going to buy your way to 300 and pay the highest prices then yes your pp cost is going to be high, However it can be done for less much less ..
  7. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Alternate: 1A - Use Abysmal Sea for the same free skill ups and get some extra recipes at the end of the free ones by saying "recipes" to the NPC

This is excellent brief guide. I like it only has a few steps. So much better than all the other guides that it takes hours to read then hours to figure out with spread sheets etc. :D
  8. Aanuvane Augur

Though the Complete Tradeskill Guide 6.1 appears dated - it is still viable/up to date. It's a super brief path for getting to 300 in any trade (Except Fishing - I'll look at revising that one, though I usually skill to 200 in fishing by just fishing).

Also, for my 2cp, unless you're targeting going to 350 - the Crescent Reach Freebies are better than the Abysmal Sea ones. The mechanics are just much better.
  9. Zamiam Augur

There is actually a quest for fishing called the fisherman's companion which will help raise your fishing skill to close to 200 before your done with quest usually and gives a nice reward .. you can also sell the extra mats for the quest for a decent amount of pp to help with your next TS skill .
    https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=2236
    Aanuvane likes this.
  10. Garmr Augur

Get cultural book, make a cultural tailoring kit. Any pelt lvl 60+ has a cultural bracer recipe. Once needle and sewing kit are made, evryting is vendor bought other than the pelts and will have you at 300 in no time for way way way less than 500k.

For example from EQTC for Barbarians bracer (sub in any pelt lvl 60+):

[IMG] To make Elaborate Driftwalker Armband (Tailoring: Yield 1, trivial 355), (Restricted) Combine the following in a Northman Sewing Kit
  11. Aanuvane Augur

Certainly a viable path for anyone but Dwarves (for tailoring), however, the cultural items do not stack and do not sell. You basically need to have a tribute person nearby or just destroy them as you make them.
  12. Garmr Augur

Correct, but its a cheap, fast and easy way to hit 300 (big bags help). Same can be done for smithing. Hating doing tradeskills myself, I opted for the least painful path I could find in each as I decided to tackle the 3.0 shawl this month.

Fletching now........F fletching.
    Skuz likes this.
  13. Password1234 Augur

Yes, any advice for how cheap and easy it apparently is to hit 300 in fletching (for those of use that aren't wood elves and don't worship Karana) that I must have missed would be really appreciated.
  14. svann Augur

Did them on my main but will never do it for alts (except that minimum required for epic). I see some people doing it for entire box crews.
  15. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Fletching is still an uphill slog for any race that doesn't worship Tunare or Karana.
    I took the arrows route once the server I am on unlocked VoA/RoF but that took a substantial amount of farming to find enough feathers (you will need to make a huge amount of arrows).

Maxing trophy was quite easy though using the (crossbow & bolts) recipes found in the Merchant Alliance book in fact those recipes were good for maxing all of the trophies they had recipes for, do not try to max the fletching trophy using arrows, they are simply not worth it.
  16. Cicelee Augur

One could argue that you can be 99.9% successful in EQ if you do not have Shawl 3.0, Artisan Prize and Rallos earring. While all nice high stats on the latter two, they are just.... numbers. Sure a Rallos earring might get 16k hp and your TOV raid earring might only be 10k.

So what?
  17. Garmr Augur

True enough, my main complaint is that after tons of hours farming tainted feathers and fractured shards, I found out about yet another recipe (bow) that will take you all the way to 300 and is all vendor purchased. So if you have some plat to burn you can save a metric ton of time. Skillups still suck on fletching tho no matter what you do. At work and no eq access but Ill check my fletching favs when I get home and drop the type of bow it was here.
  18. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I've gotten to 300 or higher in tradeskills 14 times (over multiple characters, obviously), and have to say, for me, the absolute best way to get tradeskills maxed is with the draught of the craftsman. I have used those for probably 10 or 11 of the 14 times I've maxed a tradeskill, and it's really hard to beat.

I don't play enough to farm everything I would need, and don't have the plat to buy mats for the traditional approach. And even if I had the plat, whenever I DO check Bazaar to check on the feasibility, there's nowhere near enough mats offered for sale to make it possible, at any price.

caveat: I've never set up a buyer, not sure if that would make a difference, though, on a server which isn't one of the high-pop ones.
  19. The real Sandaormo Augur

I fought doing tradeskills a loooooong time but when I saw the Shawl final version i did them back then.
    Granted I never farmed anything myself, found the easiest path ( although expensive ) to 300 in each skill and got it done.

When I saw Artisans I had all intentions of maxing them but realized uh no its too tedious for me!!!
    At some point i might do some of it but my Atisan is at about 50% is all and still a nice aug. Ugh
  20. Password1234 Augur

I'd like to hear what you used, the highest vendor bow I could find only goes up to 282.