BOT groups ban IPs instead of accounts

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Claudi, Jun 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claudi Elder

Hi,
    banning accounts for BOT groups is pretty useless - they will show up the next day. But instead I would try to ban IP adresses?
  2. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

Botters are a source of significant revenue to DB they won't be banning them. Your only choice, really, is to play in a different zone or play on a server where boxing has been forbidden. This is a game in the end of it's life cycle and eliminating cash paying customers isn't part of their business model.
    lockjaws likes this.
  3. Claudi Elder

BOTs on AB afaik - 60. I know directly or were in my guild that cancelled EQ due to BOTs 40 plus the other ones I dont know - so ?????
  4. dreadlord Augur

Absolutely this
    Whichever way you slice and dice it, people are leaving AB in droves because of the botters
    The trouble is, there's no massive, dramatic, single point exodus
    People are just quietly not renewing subs because they can't play without constant harrassment
    Several zones are simply not usable by the average player
    I'm mystified why nothing is being done. I really really am
    Andarriel, Raptorjesus5 and Claudi like this.
  5. Claudi Elder

being a SK I cannot train them on Brothers Island, cannot train them in Mistmoore HH due to their lvl is to high, but I do train them every time in Old Seb HH and they die there :p
    Andarriel likes this.
  6. Buster_Shruggs Augur

You're calling for bans on accounts identified via IP address and then admitting to committing an offense that could get you banned? :eek:
    code-zero likes this.
  7. Buster_Shruggs Augur

I know it sucks, but I think avoiding the botters/farmers is the simplest solution. Or indulge in instanced zones/missions. As someone above mentioned, the botters/multi-account holding folks are a source of income for the company, so I doubt there will be any type of action aimed at eliminating them.
  8. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Do the botters actually pay for their subs, or do they just buy kronos for the plat they make by botting?

How do we know those kronos wouldn't be consumed/bought by legit players, if there was no bots?

Can't they ban accounts based on credit-cards rather than IPs(assuming they don't deal in stolen credit-cards also?) you need a credit-card to create an account afaik...
  9. dreadlord Augur

Having to go to instances is hardly an 'indulgence' - it's a Pita, and it shouldn't be necessary
    And, as another very long thread has pointed out, not all zones are instanced and people are being prevented from completing basic tasks like hunter

I'm also not sure re 'income' - there's various characteristics about these folks that makes me wonder if they aren't free accounts (eg, as someone pointed out to me recently, they only ever use rk1 spells)

then @the OP

Be very careful
    They video their encounters
    Excellent players have been banned/suspended for large pulls that weren't even actual trains
    code-zero and cadres like this.
  10. Buster_Shruggs Augur

You don't need any payment source, credit card,...etc. to create an account. You can turn a FTP account into ALL Access by acquiring a Krono in game and sustaining that way without ever adding a payment source.
  11. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

Even if they pay with kronos someone is still buying the kronos which is a premium to the normal monthly sub charge...$ $ $ $ $
    lockjaws likes this.
  12. smash Augur

Would say no, because you do not know if you on a ip number a bot also is.

Not all suppliers use static numbers for their customers.
  13. Febb Augur

Anyone can use freely available VPN's. IP bans are useless against an active botnet controller.
    lockjaws likes this.
  14. kiwi New Member

they can get MUCH more plats than what we can get , since they cheat and and play 24 / 7 non stop , and can have several bot groups to kill even faster .

so they can * easy * buy kronos from players in game , and we can buy TOV expansion now via plats or kronos from players ( i didn't see anyone selling TOV expansion since a while tho ).

in firiona vie , same player is back there non stop killing until next patch again i guess ( in kael at the named drendar blackblade area ).with his 12 or so army .

i don't use is_boxer , but my guess is those who are using it need to place the mobs so other toons can hit the mob right?

that guy clearly not using is_boxer if so , because he don't need to place the mobs to kill, all his toons move at same pace and going all behind the mobs by themselve , when mob die ( very fast ), all his army are going back to ** their camp spot **

**** cheaters could be sent to a ** prison server where they couldn't server transfer and no kronos transfer as well ** so all cheaters could play there ............
    Andarriel likes this.
  15. cadres Augur

I'm no tech expert, but wouldn't that be a problem in situations where many people may be on the same connection - eg university/college.
    There's no need for a high-tech solution to this however; just come to AB and watch them in action. Watch 3/4 groups at various times in the same place use exactly the same scripts
    Watch them aggressively camp literally on top of legitimate groups day in day out
    Watch them play for many many days without a break
    Killstealing may not any longer be a 'crime' but surely repeatedly taking a named spawned by someone else is harrassment and contravenes the T&Cs?
    So many grounds to get rid of these 'people' if the will was there
  16. code-zero Augur

It's quite possible that those bot crews consist entirely of free accounts with a select few having had a Krono that they legitimately bought from another player for plat to claim AA's. Once they check some of the online resources and learn which non-prestige augs and gear to get they'll do just fine.
  17. Zamiam Augur

True a botter can just make more accounts , however each new account he has to make means
    1. he has to use another krono possibly at some point to increase his AA's at later lvls
    2. lvl a new toon up on said new account to be able to put in group .. I doubt they are buying heroic toons on new accounts cause thats R/L dollars unless they are buying enough of them in game which I doubt I rarely saw the Gift: Heroics for sale when ToV came out ..
    If DPG banned every botters accounts he would have to start from scratch ..If DPG kept up on the banning from verified reports it eventually would deter the botters from playing ..
    I know if I was a botter and I had to continuously keep making new accounts and lvling up new toons for my bot crew I would move on ..
    also it does take a valid email address to create new accounts , If DPG banned accounts and also banned the email address associated with said account then the botter would have to create a new email account also ( I know thats not hard to do ) but it is an extra inconvenient step they would have to go through . Put enough hoops for them to have to run through to get another account up and running and it should be enough to have them move along .. jmho ..
    cadres likes this.
  18. Claudi Elder

I play this game since 1999. If I get banned - I really dont care if it makes it even just for a few hours a better game for another player or group.
  19. haaaalp Augur

lmao, "end of it's life cycle" for the past 10 years...? eq is going no where
    svann likes this.
  20. code-zero Augur

That's the thing, you aren't making anything better for anyone. Ask the people from AB, bot groups pop back up again almost as soon as they can get rezzed and gate back. Sure there's always the poorly put together crew of bots that will accept a zero exp rez but you can't depend on that
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.