Shocker

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Lelandod, May 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snazster Elder

My suspicion is they've moved all of this to virtual cloud space services like AWS, or Azure, and are pretty much completely out of the hardware business.

When they say "servers" are down, it's most likely just an old-timey way of saying we are having system or software difficulties. Kind of like when old people talk about "taping" a show to watch it later but they are really DVR-ing it (and it's often not really even a DVR if it's not a box sitting in your home with volatile memory stores for recorded content).
  2. Indian New Member

I'm sorry. The down time is a legitimate reason to be upset. We lost 3 or 4 days during the anniversary, then approximately 8 additional days in the month of May. We are definitely owed some form of worthwhile compensation whether we pay to play or not!
    Discounts in the marketplace are Not worthwhile compensation!
    I concur that the Dev's need to concentrate on fixing the servers instead of creating new servers that they are going to have to consolidate within a year to increase the populations...that is so ridiculous and it is a huge waste of time and resources.
    Fix the existing issues and word will spread, opening up the possibility of more new players joining and old players returning.
    Anyone in business (that cares about their business) knows that Quality tops Quantity in the long run.

Incidentally, My name here is not supposed to be Indian and I am not a new poster. I have been posting since 2000 or 2001.
    This relates to my Quality vs. Quantity statement.
  3. Nennius Curmudgeon

No need to be sorry. It is upsetting to pay for something and not be able to use it.

One: The devs. are stretched and as far as I know are still working from home. More devs?

Two: Stuff does happen that could be out of their control. Where is the server farm? Is there a physical problem there? The internet has been slower than usual at times lately. LOTS of folks out of work, at home, etc.

Three: Gamers are as a rule, somewhat impatient. Not everyone of course, but lots seem to be. Things bobble and we notice right away and are happy to complain. I fit well in this group.

Four: The devs. didn't cause this intentionally. Could they have foreseen something. Maybe. I am not a dev., I don't know them personally, and they are human. Are there funding issues? This would not surprise me in the slightest.

Five: Am I upset? A little. I have been down this path for nearly 20 years and so I suppose I have grown used to it. Not sure if that's really a good thing. Should I be more upset? I am paying for two accounts. Real money no less.

Six: I want this game to remain and to prosper. I am happily addicted to it. Unlike some of my friends and folks I grew up with my addiction costs me about $30.00 a month. What do drinkers and smokers pay? TBH, I have no idea since I don't share those addictions.

Last: Bring the servers back up!! I just finished mowing all of my lawns AND removed a dead snake to boot. I need my fix. :)

P.S. According to this website more than 100k people have died from COVID 19 in the U.S. as of today and more than 350k worldwide.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Kind of puts it in perspective for me.
    Sokki, Lumenace and minimind like this.
  4. minimind The Village Idiot

Changed my life. I ever since I started, I've been top parse on raids and my 7th toe (on my left foot) has only gotten stronger.
  5. minimind The Village Idiot

Those are much more profitable for much less processing/RAM needs.
    Nennius likes this.
  6. Nennius Curmudgeon

Nice. I wonder what oregano would do. Hmmm
  7. Rhaane New Member

the "Time Locked Progression Server" forum section had me thinking that we need a "Locked Server Time Procrastination" area

EDIT - or "Aggression Time - Locked Servers"
  8. dreamweaver Community Manager

Well this devolved quickly. The OPs posted has been noted.
    Namde and minimind like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.