Need help picking straight DPS class for Aradune

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by MightyUnclean, May 23, 2020.

1. MightyUnclean Elder

Hey guys, I'm planning to play on Aradune. I haven't played for a long time. I want to play straight DPS with as few other responsibilities as possible. So that has me narrowed down to magician or wiz. I'd play a rogue, but I get lost easily so corpse retrievals might suck for me. And I'd play a necro, but I'm afraid it might be too complex. Question is, which is the simplest, most basic to play in a group and raid? Does wiz have more secondary responsibilities (not including evac) than mag?

Thanks for any help!
  2. Mrjon3s Augur

Both are about the same.
  3. TheChosenOne Augur

Id pick a Wiz is you're looking for little responsibility.. with a magician you have to manage your pet during raids, etc and will be required to get greater pet hold AAs as soon as luclin hits. Mage also needs to summon and manage items for the pet and debuffing mobs with malo

Wiz is the easiest class in the game to play.. just nukey nukey nukey, and occassionally teleport the group around or translocate people
  4. Lumiens Augur

Fixed that for you
    code-zero, Fizon and Trevalon like this.
  5. Lumiens Augur

And as Bobby would say, seriously, don't play a rogue.
  6. Magneress Augur

monk wiz rogue mage, roll the dice on any of those :D
  7. sumnayin2 Augur

Necro is definitely the most laid back. No one expects anything from you on raids.
  8. sumnayin2 Augur

Yeah, don't go monk when you don't want responsibility. My lack of wanting to ALWAYS pull dwarfs my desire to play a monk
    Forsaken likes this.
  9. Ultrazen Augur

Wizard is for sure the easiest class to play with the fewest keystrokes required. You never have to move once in camp, you hardly have to pay attention, and you can make an assist macro so you don't even have to bother manually targeting mobs. Wait till the mob is half health, hit your assist hot key, level.

In a purely 'fewest number of keystrokes in a fight' battle, Wiz wins by a mile.

/pause 3, /assist *whatshisname
    /pause 50, /cast 1
    /sit
    /say I'm a WIZARD!!!!

GG.
    Chatoyan likes this.
  10. MightyUnclean Elder

But necro has some more complex mechanics, right?
  11. JooJooFlop Trainer of Trainers

In sky raids all wizards have to do is eat death touches.
    HoodenShuklak likes this.
  12. Foaming I Drank Bleach IRL Once

Wizard is about as low input as it can be in the early expansions.
  13. yerm Augur

Mage is easier than wizard in an "I do not trust myself to play well" capacity. Wizard is easier in a "I want to do as physically little as possible" way. You may want to consider a mage over a wizard for this reason - sure it's more buttons and a pet but it's not THAT involved, and said pet will still be able to contribute even if you are lazy on resists, rains, etc.
  14. Velerin Journeyman

Monk is pretty easy no work dps for raiding. Most guilds will have 2-3 pulling and 2-3 just chilling and dpsing
    Senadin likes this.
  15. Misaligned Augur

While this may be true in raids most of the time, for grouping and leveling you will be expected to pull, a lot. Speaking from experience as one of those lazy dps-only raid Monks.
    Forsaken likes this.
  16. Trevalon Augur

This X1000000

I have always said Wizard is the single most deceivingly hard class to play. Anyone can press a nuke, but if you want to be a GOOD wizard, its much harder than a Mage or Necro. Knowing correct rotations, when and how many times to conc, knowing exactly what spell to cast and what time. Knowing how to time nukes between your rains. I have been leading guilds/raids for 14 years on TLP servers and never fail half or more Wizards who get to my raids don't know you should be casting spells while your rain is ticking down (Literally a staple of wizard gameplay). Anyone can play a Wizard, but I have spent more time teaching Wizards how to play in raids than almost any class because they seem easy, till you are told your doing 1/3rd the damage of every other Wizard cause you don't know how to play.

For grouping, sure they are simple. Stand, Cast 1 spell, sit...thats it.

That all being said, if your not gonna raid Wizard can and will always have a much harder time finding a group than a Mage or even Necro. Mages find groups fast, Necros second fast, and WAY down is the Wizard.

Id say for you Mage is probably easiest. Literally send your pet, cast 1 or 2 nukes (thats all you got), Maybe malosini depending on group, and if you raid pass out mod rods. COTH comes into play in Kunark but thats nto hard either.
    Uesce likes this.
  17. Xeris Augur

If you want a DPS class and to actually do good DPS, but don't want to work hard, necro is a really bad choice. Necros can do very good DPS, especially in Velious/Luclin, however in order to do so you have to keep 7-8 dots up constantly, and have to fd periodically and lifetap periodically while doing this. If you're a very good necro, you're amazing DPS, but a lazy necro will be pretty useless.

I'd agree that wizard will be easier to do good DPS on. However, you get out what you put in... You can weave nukes/rains and maximize your DPS, or you can just hit a few nuke hotkeys on a fight. Put simply ; a lazy wizard will out DPS a lazy necro on any raid.
  18. Minpire Augur

ENCH/CLER
    MONK/SHA
    SK/SHA
    NECRO/SHA
    MAGE/ENCH

SK - GROUP TANK
    WARRIOR - RAID TANK
    CLERIC - ALWAYS WANTED FOR RAID
    MONK - BEST MELEE DPS Until PoP Then Rogues get up there in PoP for RAIDS
    WIZARD - MANABURN for KEY Mob STEALING in Plane of Storms For GUILD

tons of threads about it, all other combos are just mediocore at best unless you wanna be a portal taxi

IMO: Monk would be best, Self Heal, Feign Death -- HIGH end DPS out the gates from classic and beyond/ box a shaman with it or find a shaman bubddy, you are GOLDEN in any group hands down with haste also.

Except to Transfer Mana to Clerics until you are OOM
  19. HoodenShuklak Augur

I've played wizard and mage quite a bit. The mages absolutely have more responsibilities whether raid or group. You're expected to mod rod, coth, and if you have a pet its somehow always an issue that people let them aggro on accident, especially earlier on. They also have damage shields to keep up.

The wizard on a raid simply has to port people which can be a lot when mobilizing but it's all in 1 chunk really and doesn't interrupt you constantly. They are really laid back in the responsibility department on raids. in groups sometimes they have to root or snare, but that's not that common in modern tlp. Being a good evacer is perhaps the greatest finesse they can master, aside from max dps without aggroing of course.

I found the wizard has some good meta games to min max their dps, which is part of the fun for some people... like knowing the ratio of concs to rains, how many concs for certain bosses to max dps etc.

If you're a lazy wizard though in groups you better hope the server is bustling because people wont forget the wizard that blows his mana on 2 fights and sits through the next 5 minutes.

Also... get awareness potions!
    Ishbu likes this.
  20. Blastoff Augur

The people saying wiz is the ez mode class are fools. Monk hits auto attack and fd gtg no worry about threat. A good wizard tops charts occasionally during classic and pretty much all the time kunark-luclin. While ez mode monks and necros are hitting fd and continuing on their brainless rotations, wizards are gauging 1-2 steps between being in bellycaster range while not nuking themselves while spamming concussion to avoid agro. Also those trash monks/necros that claim to out dps the wizard all of the sudden are not able to rely on their fd for dps on an open world race world mob. Wizard is god. Don't let anyone tell you anything else. Until pop that is, then monks are too broken for anyone to keep up with even their fists.
    Gussok and Minpire like this.