How long did epics take to solve?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by icefilms, Sep 28, 2017.

1. MaxTheLion Augur

Are you Yerm 2.0?
  2. Rhodz Augur

It was a different bunch back then and there were a LOT of people totally gone overboard on the amount of time spent working some things out. It was not uncommon for players to put in @100 hours a week working on this thing, I wont call it playing. From making maps, raid scripts, item drop tables and all the things impossible to really do without a well known program we all used to run at times just to see how things worked. The imagination was captured for sure.

I was just always of the mind that there were better things to do with the one to four weeks it took to complete and the constant crying for raid targets so the Epic could be finished.

I swear half the people that got their Epics were gone in three months afterwards so I would not call the way the Epic Quests were implemented all that much of a success. People would literally burn out on the game chasing their Epic depending on which one. Lot of us said to hell with it and just played the game, I think it was the smart play others do not.
    Clerics were the complete outsider here as the clicky rez just so valuable to raiding guilds and of course it was one of the two easiest to get due to this. I do not think it accidental which Epics were complete cluster fraks and which ones could be easily knocked out. That tie between the raiding guilds and devs was fairly obvious.
  3. ShaggyGrant Journeyman

The reasoning behind being rude is because you have a massive superiority complex while continually screwing up, and claiming that you are a writer. Then going on to claim I'm being insulting to you and using sentences like "Feeling insecure are we? If so why, and about what?"

And I said exactly what you meant in 1 sentence without looking like a pompous .

Is what you said at the end of your little rant about me while clearly at the beginning you agreed that I understood the entire point of your incredibly long and pointless tirades in your previous 2 posts.

Leads me to believe you just type for the sake of typing with no coherent thought process behind anything. Any idiot can claim themselves a writer for knowing big words, putting them into something that isn't nonsense is the real art form.
  4. Questoften32 Augur

I don't claim a thing, I am a writer of nonfiction a published author infact.However that is nether here nor there.

I do not think devs are simply foolish, that is not what I meant at all. This is also a generalization.

I think its more they and other artist are being forced to cater to the foolish...To realize a profit, and keep some semblance of the ship afloat...in some cases, to sell out, and slowly being effected by it.

I am speaking of a devolution in art, electronic and otherwise, that is brought about by a transient modern school of thought, almost as a tragic side effect.

I am saying why this is so, and yet attempting to divorce this from politics or religion, as its effects on art, and game design is all that is relevant here.

Not because I'm trying to prove some sort of intellectual superiority. That is why I am unmoved by your responses, correcting posts and such because, that's not it.

I don't care one bit about that. As hard as that would be for one such as yourself to believe.

I simply care about the art for its own sake and speak as I do.

As far as eq, I want it to continue and maintain as much of its integrity as it, can in balance with the necessary evils of the childproofing, and over streamlining to take the needed money from the facebook flash, angry birds people. From the leaches by proxy.

While satisfying those that really don't give a spit in the wind for anything but end mechanics and the newest thing.

I think with progression servers, free trade, and standard rule set, the devs are honestly doing the best they can in eq. They are bending over backwards actually.

Which is more than I can say for many other games..they listen, and They do try. Yet they do what they have to do also.

They give people exactly what they ask for, to the best of there ability...while many leave there ungrateful snotty little comments, and threats to quit, if its not fast enough...as would be expected in this age of entitlement without effort.

(people even seem to want in game bazaar traders to give them the stuff they spent hours farming for basically nothing. Moreover they want the devs to force them to do so, through imposed limits sanctions and restrictions on free trade)

I understand requests, but one should be civil and temper there requests with gratitude for what has already been done on request. This is encouraging instead of discouraging.
  5. Rhodz Augur

Looks like the cover page of a manifesto... :rolleyes:
  6. Wowjustwow Elder

Did you make any money on this nonfiction book you speak of? Or did all the money go to your editors? Editing this book would have cost a fortune!

Tommy Wiseau also wrote books and scripts, made a movie, was the staring actor, director, and also funded the movie. We all know how "The Room" turned out. Are you Tommy Wiseau? :)

For those of you that don't know anything about the movie "The Room" Youtube "everything wrong with the room" or youtube "James Franko The Room" and be ready to be amused.
  7. AgentofChange Augur

You're tearing me apart Lisa
    Genoane and Wowjustwow like this.
  8. Wolrok Elder

God bless your editor.
  9. Meaghan Stormfire Journeyman

At the same time I also recall huge organized "hunts" where people would go zone by zone hailing every NPC, killing every single mob, and combing every inch of the ground looking for ground spawns.
  10. SemperRegal New Member

What in Cazic Thule's name is going on here???
  11. Rhodz Augur

Exactly as a lot of info was kept in the club so to speak at first and some things the players had to find for themselves. Keeping things found out to yourselves was not a bad idea if you didn't want to complete with a good portion of the server for something that may only spawn once in a decade.
    So it took a while for the information to become widespread.
  12. MaestroM Augur

Oh Faelin isn't that bad. Her PH orc pawn is like 20 feet from Orc hill. I don't remember if she despawns or anything, but that PH died ~250k times between launch and the middle of Kunark. Gfay is one of the most populated zones of the era and orc hill is one of the most famous leveling spots in EQ. In a zone as well understood and mapped out as greater faydark, a new friendly red con mob that appears that close to such a well known landmark would have stuck out like a sore thumb.
  13. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

God bless you for bumping this so I could be reminded of the $3 amazon ebook author.
    Prisoner likes this.
  14. Ultrazen Augur

Doing my monk epic in era was the most frustrating and the most rewarding thing I've done in a video game. A couple of those camps went on for literal days.
  15. Tuco Augur

Re: community + dev tackling of quests, this happens literally every beta for live EQ and whenever a new substantial quest gets released / patched. It's a funny interaction between the players and devs because neither party is sure whether the players are stuck on a puzzle vs being stuck on a broken quest.

The standard progression quests need to be pretty clear, but some of the optional "chase" items are intentionally obscure. The devs won't give the player real hints, and often can't reproduce real problems the player is having. It's very reminiscent of epic 1.0 and some of the original quests like SoulFire (iirc).

Brevity is the soul of wit.
  16. Questoften32 Augur

No apologies, but that was 2017 don't know why this was necro'd this from 3 years ago, given the content I must have been drinking and sleepless from marathon gameplay. It happens. I think I was doing game videos then, and recording on a debate forum.

I was going on about the de evolution of art and entertainment at the time, ie gaming, music and film industry, quality. Felt the same thing was happening to eq2, ''it was'' I seem to remember it was a successful vid commentary ''eq/eq2 was not mentioned specifically.

Also EQ fans were being abusive with there requests then despite good nature'd attempts. I observed this ether here or on eq2 forums to the point I felt the Devs would adopt a go to hell attitude eventually. I remember feeling bad for a well meaning guy replying to comments but I disremember the issue of them. Something about recompense.
    Tuco likes this.
  17. RibbitDivot New Member

Please read up on the difference between they're, there, and their.
  18. Prisoner Journeyman

Nice, when the grammar police come out in an discussion thats a good sign.
  19. Questoften32 Augur

I'm past this tif now, I see no need to respond to ranting from 3 years ago this is common knowledge now...Or I understand it better lets say.

People know music was getting sucky, games dummed down, idiot proofed, and streamlined and Eq2 has already went to hell ''in my opinion ''your primer stat, stat dose not benefit your class'' and drinking xp from vial to insta level toons to 30''.

Why do you think WoW classic beat WoW live? Its the current ''informed'' public opinion ''more or less''. If I'm thinking it, so are a half a billion minds in one way or the other. The other way dose not amuse or hold water. Not much to do there. Its simple.

What else is there to say? Done is done. Its still nice to revisit Darklight wood or the fae however, in memorandum (if they don't do away with that too). Just personal preference, don't really want to hardcore say anything bad because its EQ2...still *shrugs* I still support the franchise, not just eq1.

EQ 1 still rocks and has gotten better in ways.

In eq2's case further exposition would serve neither parties "Its grown comfortable numb" my lips move, but it wouldn't hear what I'm saying. Dont worry Its just pining for the Fords. Its too late in other words, but was nice while it lasted...the tarnished image is still there (I will bring it daisies from time to time with a visit).

I don't trust its progression server (eq2's) but would like to play it a little...because its said the first one did not live out its span but was merged early, so If I tried it, the rug would likely be pulled out again. Too big a risk.
  20. MaestroM Augur