New Monitor Issues

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Eshtoma, May 16, 2020.

1. Eshtoma Lorekeeper

After I set my Video Mode to 2560x1440 (recommended) in windowed mode, I get very large black borders on the right and bottom of my screen. How do I go about removing these borders and display the game at these resolutions?
  2. Sarkaukar Augur

Since you did not provide any other info, such as if this was your previous resolution or not...Sounds like you are playing in Full Screen mode but have not changed your actual EQ resolution. Most games do not auto adjust their resolution to a new monitor.

Alt O, Display Tab, hit the Video Mode button and select 2560x1440. Game resolution changes should be done in the actual game and not via the Launchpad Options Editor.
  3. Eshtoma Lorekeeper

Full Screen 2560x1440 works fine, but when I switch to windowed mode and set it to 2560x1440 it looks like this...

[IMG]
  4. Eshtoma Lorekeeper

I am able to move my windows and hotbars into the black border as well. Just want the image to reach corner to corner in Windowed mode.
  5. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Window mode is a separate graphics setting. It looks to me like Window mode is displaying 2560x1440 in the OS, but game is displaying 1280x1024.

To fix:
    1. Launch EQ.
    2. Switch to Window Mode.
    3. Press ALT + O.
    4. Click Display Tab.
    5. Click Video Modes.
    6. Select 2560x1440.
    Bear in mind, running window mode in 2560x1440 on a display of the same size will "squish" the game down a little, distorting text. The OS does this to make room for the border of the EQ window.
  6. Eshtoma Lorekeeper

Sadly that is the display I get above after following your steps. I tried relaunching the game in full screen mode first as well. Really stumped. Might have to just play in full screen mode and bite the bullet. Which is too bad, because I tend to Alt+Tab quite frequently.
  7. Qbert Gallifreyan

If you can drag ui elements into the black borders, try /viewport
    Sarkaukar and CatsPaws like this.
  8. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

If that did not work, your eqclient.ini is likely hosed.

1. Close EverQuest
    2. Open your EverQuest directory.
    3. Find your eqclient.ini file.
    4. Rename eqclient.ini to eqclient.ini.old
    5. Find the OptionsEditor.exe and launch it.
    6. Make selections and finish the OptionsEditor setup.
    7. Launch EverQuest launchpad.
    8. Enter the game.
    9. Change to Window mode.
    Following these steps should rebuild your eqclient.ini file with defaults and allow the game to fill the entire window when in window mode. You can then make any EQ graphics or options changes you need. If this does not work, delete the eqclient.ini file, and undo the change from step 4. Let us know how that goes.
  9. Eshtoma Lorekeeper

Ugh, still no dice :mad:.
    I've moved the old eqclient.ini to another folder for now. I then opened OptionsEditor.exe and got to the resolution bit. It didn't have 2560x1440 there, so I set it to the highest available which was 1600x1200. When launching the game, it automatically launches in windowed mode. I can then change the resolution back to 2560x1440 in windowed mode, but has the borders. I can switch to Full Screen mode 2560x1440 and the borders are removed, just not ideal.
  10. Eshtoma Lorekeeper

omg /viewport worked! Thank you all for the help and suggestions!!
    Sarkaukar likes this.
  11. Sarkaukar Augur

Yeapers, with the info provided /viewport would have been the next step. I have mine setup similar to what your screen looks like but the imagine centered in the middle with a majority of the UI elements in the blackout location.

You can hotkey to viewport settings, including /viewport reset. If you are of the mind, this allows you to play with the settings without having to retype them in, just update/save then test.

And I believe /viewport is in the character.server.ini file, not eqclient.ini file. It is per toon/server and not a universal account, thus it is why deleting/removing eqclient.ini did not resolve the issue.