3 box Setup for box TLP

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by ECrack, Apr 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ECrack Augur

'eyyy yoooooooo!

To change the subject from everyone's Mangler outcries and also to see what ideas other people have.

I have decided to literally level every single class on this Boxable TLP coming up, now with this comes some attention to details. So here is what I have lined up for 3 accounts and the possible combinations.

Tell me what you think would work, maybe what doesn't work and what ideas you all have gearing up for this baby.

Account #1: Warrior, Magician, Rogue, Necromancer, Monk, SK
    Account #2: Cleric, Shaman, Wizard
    Account #3: Bard, Enchanter, Ranger, Druid, Paladin

Fun combinations I'm envisioning:

OP Boii's
    Mage, Cleric, Enchanter (Obviously)

Undead Bane
    Necro, Cleric, Paladin

Instance Boii's
    Warrior, Cleric, Bard

Rot crew
    Necro, Shaman, Druid

Wizzy's Infinite Explody Boii's Brigade
    Necro, Wizard, Bard

Boxer's Beatdown Battallion
    (Rogue/Monk/SK), Shaman, Ranger/Bard
  2. Xeris Augur

When you say "what works" what do you mean? I think w/ a TLP you can make anything work tbh.
  3. ECrack Augur

Mmm.. Rogue Paladin Ranger would probably be pretty terrible.

Guess I was looking for suggestions on other combinations or ideas on moving around classes on the accounts to be more optimal.

Who knows, maybe I nailed it.
  4. Barder-mangler Augur

It may sound odd but I would go with enchanter/Druid/cleric for the very first group. That way your Druid or chanter can powerlevel the next group down the line. Druids are super OP powerlevelers up through lvl 30 ish, and a chanter (in group or out of group especially) really shines.
    When I leveled my cleric box I just joined regular full groups and left my enchanter out of group for haste/Clarity/chain stuns, in AE groups it made things go absurdly fast. Toss in a charm pet to help with DPS and you fly.
    But for some reason I always preferred powerleveling 1 or 2 chars at a time rather than doing 3 as a group, but if you really want to traditionally 3 box I like your setups.
    Another great first combo would be chanter/monk/cleric. But I feel your path of least resistance for leveling up the weaker classs(rogue/war/pally/Ranger) is speed leveling the first primary group and then powerleveling the rest. You’d also be able to gear out the new team much faster that way. Just my 2 cents!
  5. Fudly Elder

I'm gonna assume you plan on soloing. Otherwise, any combination would work supplemented by lfg.

If I were doing this, I would make dedicated teams of characters to level together. Otherwise, you're gonna run into issues where the character you want to include is not in the right level range.

I'd put all the tanks on one account. You're not gonna want to box 2 at once. Same is true for the priests.

I'm not sure what you have planned for your Necro, Wizard, Bard combo, but I wouldn't be able to target and dot mobs while quad kiting them with a different character.

Unless you're gonna play on a server that allows third party software, boxing a rogue sounds awful due to the positioning requirements.

The teams I would make are:
    Paladin/Cleric/Enchanter - Charm is OP
    Warrior/Druid/Bard - Got damage shields?
    Beastlord/Cleric2/Ranger - Sick em Fido
    Shadowknight/Shaman/Mage - Wombo Combo
    Monk/Shaman2/Berserker - Got melee dps?
    * Wizard/Druid2/Bard2 - Quad Kite Kings
    * Necromancer/Shaman3/Necromancer2 - Rot/Fear kite crew
    * Paladin2/Shaman4/Rogue - For some reason, we're boxing a rogue

I think all of the teams without asterixes are pretty optimal. They can all interrupt, snare, root, tank, heal, split mobs, and put out decent damage. They also won't require too much attention to box well without third party software. They should be able to handle whatever you want to attempt. The ones with asterixes are gimicky and not as versatile/optimal.

(Paladin/Cleric/Enchanter can't snare, but you don't need to if you're using charmed pets. The paladin is there for lay on hands and taunt for recharming purposes)
  6. Karanthal Augur

With a 3 box I typically have a "Tank box", "Priest Box", "Caster Box" lets you pick a trio of which most are going to be fairly viable although some better than others

Account #1: Warrior, SK, Pally
    Account #2: Cleric, Sham, Druid
    Account #3: Enc, Mage, Wiz - guess you can throw most dps classes in here or a Bard and have a viable group.

Im mostly playing War/Clr/Enc atm, but have done Pal/Dru/Mage and SK/Sham/Monk. I did do War/Sham/Mage but pulling/CC was a bit of a pain in any none Coth Zone.
    code-zero likes this.
  7. jeskola pheerie

Mag/enc/dru

/thread
  8. Vetis Augur

9. Chuuk Augur

Here are my suggestions - "main" character in bold.
    Max Devastation: MAG / CLR / ENC - Charm with enc, ignore the others.
    Chardok Devastation: MAG / CLR / DRU - Charm L53 chokidai with druid, ignore the others.
    Best non-charm setup: MNK / SHM / (BRD or ENC) - Typical Monk/Shm duo with some added utility.
    Most unique: ROG / WIZ / PAL - You will be able to get Classic Planar armor in NO TIME seeing as no one plays any of these classes.
  10. Rcbauer Augur

Best 3 box combo for grouping is Pal/Dru/Ench.
  11. bucktoof Journeyman

people still use TLP's ? kind of thought everyone had finally given up on them and went back to live servers. very surprising
  12. Leifer Augur

I will be 3 boxing as well on the non-truebox server. I'm going Pal/Enc/Dru all on one PC with 2 screens while tabbing over. I played this on Lockjaw in the past and it was fun. Back then I ran into another player in Mistmore I had never met before who was also 3-boxing at the time. We exchanged phone numbers and grouped together every night for 2 weeks until we hit 50. It's much easier finding just one other player than to have to find 5 others when you only play a couple hours a night.
  13. Brunlin Augur

Enchanter, mage, cleric FTW....mic drop.......close second would be Enchanter, mage, Druid.

Enchanter is just broken with mez and charm, you can do almost any content.

Mage is an obvious second choice as being very powerful in classic with pet and only need 2 macros to box efficiently. Also has Malo for charms.

Now the third choice people debate druid over cleric. Druid is a great power leveler but a cleric and mage is a better power leveler. Druid sup heal will suffice until you do the hole, and open world planes especially hate. I would stay away from fear with a 3 box.

When you go the hole and above, you will want the cleric CH also the cleric low level no damage stun is amazing for charm breaks. You will need to get j boots on all for that sow or buy sow portions....you wont have a snare unless you get the innoruk snare clicky for cleric. No ports but you dont really need this once your grinding, can easily purchase ports when its time to move. Also if you decide to group the cleric will be a better fit
  14. Xeris Augur

Try to 3box nagafen or vox with that combo. You can't
  15. Machen New Member

What does that have to do with anything? Assuming they leave in motm, nobody is three boxing nagafen or vox with any combo until they are well out of era.
    Herf and Brunlin like this.
  16. Xeris Augur

I could easily 3box them with sk cleric and bst in Luclin . I can solo them both right now on Agnarr with my SK. It's unlikely that even in pop that combo could take down Naggy or Vox. Charm pet will get dispelled mage pet won't tank the boss, etc.

I don't understand obsession with chanters in these box setups, especially ones that don't have tanks in them... If your goal is to do older raid content and not just group content, chanters are underwhelming. Sure if you want the fastest and most efficient leveling path in a brand new TLP, chanters are definitely overpowered, but outside the context of efficient group xp'ing , they're really not that useful.

Tank (war, sk, pal)
    Healer (clr or sham)
    DPS (ranger, monk, rog)

Is going to very likely be the best trio for out of era raid content . Casters are generally bad on those old world bosses unless you have both Tash and Malo, melee DPS works on anything. Clr and Sham are likely interchangeable, but clr will be better on bosses that are not slow able.

Try, for example to 3man Tormax in POP/LDON without a tank or clr. Again, you can't. So ya if the goal is to mess around with old world bosses ... Use a tank/clr/melee dps
  17. Xeris Augur

For reference, during POP with an SK, Clr, and Bst I could get down everything from Classic and Kunark (never tried VP), and I got Velk down from Velious. With LDON gear I managed to take down KT, but with that 3 the fight took about 40 mins. I also got all of bot tower minis down with this 3 box setup.
  18. Machen New Member

Not sure what you are taking issue with. 3 expansions later is well out of era. You've already waited 9 months to be able to do that from server launch, his combo might have to wait 12 months. That's a big deal maybe if your main goal is to box old raid content asap. He didn't say anything about that being his goal though.
  19. Xeris Augur

Sure -- and yes you're right it all depends on what you're actually looking to do. Also right in that definitely not 3boxing Naggy during Kunark. I guess he didn't say what his objective was, but the point is if you wanna do old world raid content there are particular combos that work and if you want to just do group content there are other combos that work well.
    Machen likes this.
  20. Machen New Member

A couple questions:

1) Are you planning to box all the toons all the way through from classic to live?
    2) Do you want to keep them all max level all the way through?

I ask because the strategies for 3 boxing post-mercs are greatly different than pre-mercs. Most people tend to plan their setup for life before mercs, but if we are talking about a new server that starts this year, has 3 month expansion unlocks, and goes all the way til it catches up til live, the majority of time will be spent in SoD+ with mercs. Also the time requirements to keep 5-6 characters on each account max level/aa in every expansion are fairly extreme. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this can't be done without automating and violating the no afk policies.

Personally I think you will find leveling every possible class on a six box combination will be much more satisfying and effective (and actually able to be done within the rules of the server.) The sub cost for the three extra accounts will be money well spent, if your ultimate goal is to have access to max level/aa for every class and play around with different group combos.
    Bullsnooze likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.