XP grind on alts/new heroic toons

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Fohpo, Apr 21, 2020.

1. Fohpo Augur

Best place to go? Is it really more efficient to stay at 110 and grind out 10-20k AA before leveling?
  2. Xenze Elder

All about time/investment.

When the new expansion drops, we’ll get EoKs AAs via autogrant. For the time I get to play, the smarter move for me would be to rush to 115, then worry about the AAs as I upgrade gear/augs in preparation for the next expansion.

Other side of the coin is I stay at 110 (which I am while I wait for my Bard to catch up, he’s at 106) and farm AAs. But EoK brought in a lot of those buggers. For the amount of time I play, I’m sure I’ll get more AAs from the autogrant feature than I would grinding them out myself. So yay, all that time I wasted grinding AAs was erased when the new xpac dropped. And now I’m 5 levels behind and nothing to show for it.

Someone who has more time to play and can get more AAs, and still have time to hit 115 no problems, then yes, grinding out to 25-30k AAs will make life a lot easier for you
  3. Vumad Cape Wearer

That depends on your playtime, your class and your goals. Note autogrant gives you about 16k AA, so 10-20k ontop of that is 30-40k, so definitely no. However, a few thousand, maybe...

For instance, I boxed a cleric and an ENC, and at the end of RoS I leveled a 3rd box mage. The mage is primarily my tank for named mobs, DPS is secondary. As a result, my primary objective is to get the mage to 114 for the earth pet. Then, I immediately started buying companions fortification AA. 115 came later.

As an ENC, my spells are level capped. I need to level to get the spell that will let me mez the mob of the next level. I count of my runes, spells and tanks to compensate for the AA I am short on (not the case anymore but I had to catch up after being gone for a while).

Most cases levels will yield more results in less time than AA. However, Tanks and to some extent healers are going to be primary examples of classes who may need to pause some to get some needed AA before continuing. A tank that is short of gear, AA and augs may find that they are ineffective at higher levels. They may as a result need to pause the leveling to obtain defensive or healing adept AA.

On the flip side there are a ton of AA you simply do not need at all. Orators unity, an ENC AA which simply casts buffs, is only a quality of life improvement. The AA in my focus tab are great but my primary job is CC and ADPS. I can be more effective by leveling and then getting these focus DPS AA than I can getting the AA and leveling after. This is going to be true of most classes.

Lastly, autogrant usually updates an expansion at the launch of an expansion. My ENC, who was behind, maxed out AA lines rather than distributing AA more. When ToV launched, I got a TON of TBM AA for free. If you are starting fresh (like my mage), or playing catchup (like I was last year) then you may find it is in your best interest to skip entire lines of AA that are non-critical depending on how long it takes you to get to that point relative to the next expansion launch.

Good luck.
  4. Eaedyilye More stonehive bixies.

I created a box mage 2 weeks ago. (Twin mage attack) I leveled the new mage to 110 and I'm grinding all my essential DPS and pet AA's and some others. I have a lot of EQ time, so for me it's worth it to grind AA's at 110. It all depends on your situation.
    eqgamer and Yinla like this.
  5. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I'm in the get the AAs you need before leveling up camp. :)

Bard for example I got the duel invis at 110 and a couple of others before moving on.
    Beastlord I got Pet AAs & Para and a few others I felt I needed from my burn lineup.
    SK I got defensive AAs.

I think you get the idea. :)
  6. Surivanoroc New Member

Xp is super easy. Just get the AAs at 115.

To get the AAs do collection for past expansions. If you do them all you'll be just about max AA
  7. Hemothorax New Member

Is it easier to grind AAs at 115 vs 110? I'm in the same boat grinding out the 100-110 with my boxes. I was in a group solo one time a few months ago grinding in Sathir's tomb and it seemed like it was an AA a per kill at 110. Not sure how much that would change at 115.
  8. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

It depends who is leveling whom and what the level disparity is (if any).

My suggestion is that if you are closer in level, go AA. If you are further apart in level, go XP.

AA come faster if all party members are the same level. XP comes faster the further apart in levels. Obviously bear in mind the tougher mobs you kill, and the better ZEM you have, the better the XP will be.

Good Luck!
  9. Heajol Augur

I'm a newb so bear that in mind .. I'd like to hear what others think about the way I've been thinking about this?

It's my opinion that if you are going to play the majority of your play time in pre-TOV content, then stay 110 and grind out AAs. If you're going to be playing a lot of time in TOV content, then go for 115.

I was just having this discussion a couple of days ago with someone who single boxes, and they went straight for 115 to have the best chance to join groups, which are mostly happening in TOV. Whereas I as a boxer am planning to stay at 110 for a while, and catching up on some of the past content, before moving on to 115.

TOV being a level increase expansion seems like it wants to encourage you to play the new content .. IE level to 115 and stay in TOV rather than "sightsee" a lot of the past content.

This is just how I've been thinking about it .. but other thoughts on this way of thinking are appreciated.