idea: text us

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by svann, Apr 16, 2020.

1. svann Augur

Seriously. Just an idea I had - you have our contact phone numbers. A text could be sent when servers come up. Not just today but whenever servers are down for extended periods. Just throwing out an idea to think about.
    Kialya and Daedly like this.
  2. DillyBar Augur

Lol, wow, just wow.
    Andarriel likes this.
  3. Kuaamil Elder

No.
    Jennre likes this.
  4. Redsumm Journeyman

Please no.
    Jennre likes this.
  5. UncleUms Journeyman

Yup, this. People that don't want it can opt out. AT the very least they could email us! I have alerts on my emails as well, they are just as good as a text these days.
  6. Nennius Curmudgeon

Hmm What would an automated system like this cost to run? I don't need it, but I am curious.
  7. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Services provide this for about 2 cents (US) per SMS message. So if there are 50,000 people who want a text message, it would cost around US$1,000.

That's for one text.

Also, you may have to buy a toll free number. And that is texting only USA phones.
  8. svann Augur

Another way to look at that is this:
    I pay them about $30 a month for 2 subs. A 2 penny text on patch day would take about 0.07% of that. On bad months like this just a bit more.
  9. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

They have a twitter account (several actually) and you can get updates if they decided to tweet about servers being back up.

That would be the more logical option. It reduces the security risk of having your phone # tied to your account. It's completely optional on the user end. It can go out to every player with a single tweet.

No need for txt messages and the like. I used to set up a twitter account for the sole purpose of getting a notification when PAX tickets went on sale.
    code-zero and Fanra like this.
  10. Laronk Augur

Actually due to regulations in several countries, it would have to be an opt in dealio not an opt out.

I'd totally report them if they started texting me, text messaging is obnoxious. Subscribe to their twitter feed or someshit
    svann likes this.
  11. Duder Augur

Cuuthbert likes this.
  12. Tarasqua New Member

That would just mean more
    survellance!
    Goburs, Fanra and Zunnoab like this.
  13. IcebergDX Lorekeeper

Which brings us right back around to the key issue, NO INFORMATION GIVEN OUT, not even a "WE are still trying to identify the program, we will give you an update in X hours."
  14. IcebergDX Lorekeeper

Lose the tin hat already. If you dont think they know what you had for dinner, and probably how big of a dump you took earlier today already, where have you been? Its life in the 21st century, get used to it.
  15. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I agree with you that for the first few hours information was lacking. However, now:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/current-downtime-issues.265037/#post-3895244

16. Fuelforfire Lorekeeper

17. Tarasqua New Member

Chill out man! Apparently you didn't see the earlier forum post and don't get the joke, so I will ignore your snarky comment and hope that those who do get it will get a laugh or at least a smile from it.
  18. svann Augur

I thought having my phone number tied to my account was added security. Isnt that what 2-step verification is for?
  19. Redsumm Journeyman

Bingo. The proposed solution does nothing to resolve this problem. It just adds costs when there is twitter, the server status page, these forums, and discord already giving out no information.
    Wyre Wintermute likes this.