Time to slow Selo unlocks down? Dev please?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Tierdal, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Tierdal Augur

Selo was an experiment, and a great one at that. I've never had more fun, even got my girlfriend playing and she's never played EQ before.

1 month unlocks were perfect up till SOF. Is it time to relook at this? maybe 6 weeks or 8 weeks?

At SOF the bosses start dropping only enough items to partially flag the raid.

Additionally there are multiple raid tiers.

We start getting thousands of AAs and faster level increases.

We are already missing content with how fast things open.

We are also getting more players to come to Selo and it would be nice to give them a chance to catch-up and enjoy.
  2. Accipiter Old Timer

I knew this was going to be a problem when Selo got to later expansions. I know we have lobbied for change in the past, and in some cases we were heard. But...

Have they ever changed a server's core rule set?
  3. HappyPanda Augur

Selo is fine as is.
    If anything it would be nice to increase keys/flags a bit but we'll be fine.
  4. Zansobar Augur

Just let Selo go and soon it will just be another Live server and you can start over on a new TLP.
  5. sieger Augur

I run the largest raid guild on Selo and we've cleared all content to this point in era. Way back before the server launched me and my officers openly discussed the stretch of expansions from SoF-->UF and knew it would be a difficult time. There's also later expansions with timed unlocking of tiers and things of that nature (that without some sort of change probably can't be beaten in era on Selo), we went into this with open eyes and don't really see it as a problem.

The traditional TLP mindset is you're supposed to go megahard for 2-7 days every 12/8 weeks to beat an expansion then you're on farm mode. That paradigm just isn't a thing on Selo, and I don't look at it as "we're entitled to just casually beat expansions designed to be done over an entire year, in 1 month." I think some of the changes that were lobbied for over on Phinny to increase flags that bosses drop (which I believe were implemented after a certain point), were good changes that will help out.

I would certainly embrace raids that drop limited flags per kill having accelerated drop rates on Selo, but I understand the reasons that probably won't happen.

The way I see it is it's not so much about the speed you beat something in era but the speed at which you get to do the content. We haven't quite hit our year anniversary yet and we're in Seeds of Destruction. Phinigel which was the last TLP before Selo to hit SoD, hit it 3y25 days after launch (Ragefire/Lockjaw launched 6 months before Phinny in 2015 and have yet to hit SoD. We're there and we've not even put in a full year yet. I consider this to have been one of the greatest opportunities to do content in EQ history. If some of the expansions get a little slower/harder to clear, I really don't see that as a problem, because we're so immensely far head of the 'time curve' that worrying about the "time to clear an expansion" isn't a big deal. Rusty Short Sword was the second guild (after mine) on Selo to beat Crystallos and it took them most of the expansion to do so. On a traditional TLP that might feel bad, I look at it as "RSS got to complete all SoF content on a server they've been on less than 1 year." It's a tremendous rate of clearing content by any measure, and there's positives and negatives to it that I think most serious Selo players understood going in.
  6. FranktheBank Augur

Slowing down the server is not the ideal option. Many of us joined because it is so fast and we aren't bogged in garbage expacs (PoR). Doubling the flags and loot that bosses drop would be ideal. If a boss drops 2 keys, make it drop 4. If it drops 2 + 0-1 bonus loots, make it drop 4 base loots and I dont even really care if the bonus loot stays 0-1.
  7. That0neguy Augur

Yea no way. Joined the server because of the speed. Knowing full well that there will be expansions that maybe you dont see the content in era or clear it in era. But who really cares? Not going to hurt anything if something isn't done "in era".
  8. feigntrain Elder

Time to remove the only reason that anyone ever played on Selo? What?
  9. Rasper Helpdesk The Original Helpdesk

I think the best thing they could do for flagging issues is to make it so raid instances require the requester to be flagged normally, but remove the restriction for those joining. At that point it becomes about gear and ability throttling what raids you can do and not what days you raid and if you have enough to double/triple split flag raids.
  10. yerm Augur

The argument for increased loot rather than decreased lockout time is a good one. Being able to raid on the same "weekly" schedule as other tlps and just have drops duplicated might stave off some of the pressure from guilds to try to constantly push only top content. It tends to be a progressive improvement in that it doesn't help the most hardcore who do top content on cooldown, but basically doubles what is available to the most casual.

Increasing the unlock time is NOT a decent fix. To put it bluntly: I do not see it as a problem to not get all of the content done in era. The attitude that you should be able to do all your tasks before the next unlocks has always been somewhat ridiculous and people dont even realize how silly the burnout rate is for people who DO hit that point. Selo was my first time seeing SoF and I absolutely loved it; I did not end up finishing spy reports or the hos arcs to unlock rk3 aura which I wanted - OH WELL! It's not about getting everything I want, it's about seeing everything I want. In SoD I probably won't get more than 2-3 arcs completed and that's fine.
  11. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

You made me snort my OJ. Well done on your joke post. Go ahead and take the rest of the day off, you deserve it.
  12. That0neguy Augur

except he isn't joking
  13. Seij New Member

The issue here is simply the gating of the content. If the flagging changed to flagging entire raids per encounter instead of 6-12 each kill, the content would be doable in the allotted time. You could argue for more loot, but unless the loot is currency bought (which wasn't doubled like faction), there is no issue here. Adjusting the flagging would put us the same place we've always been with loot and progressing through the content.
  14. Pikollo Augur

You'd think the devs would have discussed this too. So far it feels like they failed to. Either they did and do not care, did and could not do anything about it, or overlooked it. My thought is they know how servers die after X expansion and probably don't care to look past that. Either way I've never seen someone post any official message on these issues.

I like the current speed on Selo. But without any changes I am sure we will hit an era where we are an expansion behind clearing raids for gear we don't really need due to new group stuff. One day we will be a live server and undergeared for the content.

Selo, so far, seems to be about cramming 12 months of content into 1 month. I'm fine with that. I love that. But as with many posts mentioning some stuff should be tweaked to match the speed. Double currencies (raid and otherwise), Double raid loot and flags (and xp in era's like VoA where you gain xp per raid cleared). If we can't get that then just remove lockouts all together and allow guilds to gear up and flag as fast or as slow as they want.
  15. Nolrog Augur

I don't think it's a good idea to change the server rules this far after launch. People were attracted to this specifically because of the fast unlocks and wouldn't be happy if DarkPaw pulled the rug out from them and changed it up.

It would set a bad precedent and lead to a never ending annoyance of threads, of people asking for changes, you did it on Selo, so change our server to this too.
    Yinla likes this.
  16. Pappasalt Augur

Hi! It's your friendly neighborhood streamer/casual guild leader/mustache aficionado (yes I had to google the spelling) again.

Pretty much agree with most in that slowing it down wouldn't be good imo.

I do think the mark was missed on double loot/flags/currencies though on this server.

Being the slowest guild with 2 raid days I understand if we miss content at this point since there is so much of it. But using Rusty Short Sword as kind of a marker since 3 raid days a week is kind of the norm, they are barely getting the kill end as the expansion ends with no time to farm. I agree/disagree with Sieger it is great and rewarding when you barely get the content done, my guild has done it a lot. Issue being moving forward and especially going into things like Underfoot guilds like RSS are going to need some type of farming gear time which they didn't give us. Giving us a server at basically 12x normal speed with just xp/names/faction increases and half lockouts while not touching the other essentials is silly and either an oversight or just a mess to code they didn't want to deal with.

In reference to the person saying "don't change a server this late"...we have been saying this since pretty much the beginning...they've just never replied at all to any of our statements about it.
  17. Hateseeker Augur

it might be a good idea to add 2 weeks to each expansion but no more. Because, the idea there would not be to meaningfully slow down the time between expansions, but because the extra 2 weeks, when factored over 5 expansions, would add 2.5 months to the life of the server. the closer to live, the more people will be ready to start over or quit if no server is starting soon. that's only reason, not to slow the time between individual expansions.

PS: On Selo 2.0, skip LDON, LOY and POR entirely
  18. Protagonist Tank

19. Pappasalt Augur

20. Beardsy Elder

The exp has been pretty much perfect. Maxed out a zerkers SoF AA's within the first week? SoF's exp is absolutely ridiculous. You'd have a hard time not racking up 30+ AA per Lesson burn. 100AA a night on selos is really not hard.

I've been saying they should double the loot/loot currency/flags(triple?) for a while now. I hope they listen cause the rest of the expansions coming are going to be seriously rough being under geared.

Either way I've been experiencing the most fun I've ever had playing this game. Selos has been a better experience than back in the day just because of the "Quality of life" Improvements on the game.

I also wanna see Zerkers summoning axes in stacks of 100 asap lol :D