A different look on development (Kael)

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Veteran_BetaTester, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

ADHD.
  2. kizant Augur

It's against the rules but the idea of a 'faction' exploit like how the one dev framed it was pretty hilarious. Faction is working exactly like it's supposed to. I also think it's a little unfair to assume everyone understands these issues. Most people don't play forum quest and these posts get lost very quickly.
    Daedly and Veteran_BetaTester like this.
  3. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

Close this thread, I have made my point.
    Thank you moderator.
  4. Cloud the Third Augur

It is ok that they did it most of the hard core players who are addicts are done using them. So all you are doing is hurting the slower players. Only thing removing the ability to use the giants is hurting high end players is the fact that getting 18 aug drop went from a nightmare to we just aren't going to even try getting them now.

I just hope they add it to the hero missions since I don't even go into ToV other than raids and hero missions now since I finished the rest.
  5. Tappin Augur

The ONLY persons responsible for this mess was the devs responsible for designing the content. They made the error, so they can man up. However, using giants to PL through content isn’t something that can be left in the game.
  6. Razorfall Augur

[IMG]
    Duder and Endorek like this.
  7. Tappin Augur

No they are not. The live giants were programmed to assist PC players killing dead giants. Using the previous game mechanics to repeatedly isn’t cheating.
  8. Cadira Augur

Fixed part of that for ya, buddy.
    Daedly likes this.
  9. svann Augur

Meh, people used to claim it was an exploit to kite stuff.
    Then people claimed it wasnt an exploit to solo evolve shoulders in TT (but dont tell the devs we do it)

IMO if you try to keep it a secret then you know there is something wrong.
    If you be open about what you are doing then its good.
  10. Tappin Augur

Arguing that the use of this game mechanic was unintended consequence of something (an exploit)is equivalent the saying the portion of development team that worked this implementation was incompetent. However, this statement is a fallacy since they were warned of the potential similar issues in beta and ignored it.

I honestly believe this issue was on their radar, it just wasn’t a critical enough issue fix immediately.

But to those who suggest it’s not fair to modify content that’s being abused, because you didn’t abuse it, is laughable.
  11. enclee Augur

Just give the live giants some platinum every 15 minutes and it’ll all be cool.
    Vumad and svann like this.
  12. Tappin Augur

Part of determining if something is an exploit is figuring out if the actions are socially excepted. However, it’s highly subjective to do so.
  13. Cloud the Third Augur

Exploiting would be using a bug in the code to your advantage. Lets say there is a quest you need to hand in 4 items to an npc and you get plat back. If there is a bug where you can hit submit but back away from the npc fast enough so you get the reward but keep the items that were suppose to be turned in that would be an exploit to make infinite amount of plat.

Using a feature in the game to your advantage that wasn't a mistake in the code is not exploiting. If an npc sells the 4 items you need to turn in for the quest and you get more plat back than what it cost to buy them it isn't an exploit it is just taking advantage of proper operating code to make infinite amount of plat.

Both of these are things that they likely wouldn't want you to do and would get fixed in a patch at some point but one is an exploit and one is just playing smart.
  14. Vitaulic Apprentice

I don't think you're being serious but I'm bored and I'll bite. By your definition there can NEVER be an exploit because it was "programmed that way". In your first scenarios it is obviously the fault of the developer who set the "delay" that allowed you the time to back away and keep the items and the cash and therefor that is just smart playing right? When people found a spot on top of the pyramid in cazic thule that mobs could not attack you, the developers made that spot, therefore it would just be playing smart to stand up there and nuke away with no risk? You see using your straw man arguments means there can never ever be an exploit. Everything that happened in Kael, your two examples are all exploits. They create content and there is unintended results which is what happened here. Use some common sense and you can be ban free for life.
    Duder likes this.
  15. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Ummm... LOL. Good luck on that outlook on the game. Probably the most ridiculous way of looking at exploits posted yet. You even beat out Tappin easily.
    Duder and Vitaulic like this.
  16. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

Was it an exploit for GM's to hide behind the left side hill (a GM told me they did this) when you zone into Dulak to secretly watch Bards AE kite in that open area?
    That (hiding behind the wall) is still not 'fixed' or 'patched'.
    Bad programming?
    Was it the Bard's (the player) fault?
    No.

This is a good point.
  17. Razorfall Augur

From the other thread:
    Duder likes this.
  18. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

"spot on top of the pyramid"
    Have you ever edited a UI file?
  19. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

You buy the expansion, you zone into Kael. You get the task, kill 8 mobs.. and you hail npc's to update first, second stage of the group task. One says " oh that is one of our mobs on the list lets kill it" You pull it, the kill goes bad. You didn't get experience.
    What the? Why are the giants KS our pull. HMM let us try again. Same thing happens.
    Together, you ponder what to do, what to change, what spells to cast... and figure it out. You get a kill!

INTERESTING.. cool idea.. this is fun.

EXPLOIT! Razorfall will say this months down the road in the forums

If I was to tell you, hey, I know a way you can summoned all your characters to your camp (even if you all die!).... wanna know how? /looks around to see if anyone is listening.
  20. Cloud the Third Augur

Being completely serious according to what you just posted everything you do in the game is an exploit.

In a quest you hand in items and those items are given to the NPC to finish a quest. It is clearly an exploit to do something that allows you to keep those items and get a reward.

Finding an easy way to get those items to hand in but still handing in an losing those items to get a reward could never be an exploit.

Given you could be exploiting something to get the items easier than it should be but that would be a different issue.

A common exploit people use all the time is completing a hero mission and before opening a chest they drop and replace people or sell spots for others to join and get a reward. This then allows the original people that beat the mission to get another one without a lockout and do it again. This is an exploit people use every day of the week but they don't care that people exploit it.
    Veteran_BetaTester likes this.