Pickzone Problems

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Hitty, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Hitty Augur

When the base pick is again full of botters I try to reach a /pick to get a camp and avoid them. But when wiping in a /pick (also if half of the group makes an emergency succor/port out) and group comes back then the "wipe pick" is still present somehow but the rest of the group enters in the base pick instead of the "wipe pick" and this "wipe pick" is not addressable and the corpses are not accessible anymore. Camped last night again a Named for over an hour then the group wiped and some made it it to the zoneline. Fellowshipped back (fellowship was in the "wipe pick" and Named + corpses were gone and the rezz needed a port to the guild hall. A full hour down the drain again. Choosing the /pick directly was not possible too. That happened before. Even if the loot is still there wihle having a bad pull and wiping on the last bit of the trash while Named was down, group went back and corpses poofed. This is highly demotivating and makes /picks pretty useless. Entering /pick xx shows a pick is present but there is no number to click on.

Please somehow fix it that the corpses stay the appropriate time like in the base pick and that the group has a chance to enter/fellowship into this pick at least to rezz and loot. I had it even that in the middle of the fight we got kicked into the base pick. Making Hunter or camping a specific thing like the endless camps for the ToFS keys is so demotivating meanwhile.
    Yinla likes this.
  2. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

You are wiping in a locked pick (15 min or less until it collapses). That is bad...that's just how it is.

This has been the behavior of picks since the start (at least on Live from HH Seb on … not sure about any TLP special functionality). And I have lost things before (including a HH Seb 40 slot bag one time) when the poop hit the cooling device and I wiped/evaced trying to kill a named after the message of pick collapsing. A tear rolled down my cheek and then I went on with my EQ life...

If you are in a pick and have loot to distribute (outside of current members) … stop doing whatever else you are doing and get the loot taken care of, especially when playing at low population time. If you are often in picks but miss the 15 minute message (I think it's a system message), make an audio trigger for the message so you know when you are on borrowed time. Use the /pick command often when your ooc timer is up so you can gauge when a pick might collapse (or /w if you group with less than 6).

You do realize that there is no fix for this, right? There are definitely people who would sacrifice a corpse rezz to keep a pick open indefinitely … which is what you are suggesting happen. The game has no idea about corpse runs and whether or not your are making a concerted effort or just trying to game the system.

The /pick system is pretty much the only thing keeping the game alive on Live atm … because they certainly aren't making enough zones in expansions without /picks to keep folks entertained. They are certainly not useless, but like anything, require knowledge and planning on how to deal with.
  3. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

/picks a horrible.

Triggering a chain of NPCs to kill in ToFS just as you get the 15 minute warning is not nice. Didn't kill the final NPC fast enough when we got to him so lost the key.

Would be nice if the /pick stayed up regardless of how many in the base zone if mobs are dying in the pick.

I can understand the changes made since release as a single after player should not be able to hold a /pick open. But these changes since introducing them is punishing those who choose to use them.

Yesterday morning 38 in the base zone when we arrived. Half hour later 8 including us, anyone going to a pick would have been punished by other players playtime.

Something needs to change. No one should have their playtime ruined by others logging or moving elsewhere.
  4. Hitty Augur

You don't understand Crag.
    There is no 15min window. The pick is open but no number to jump to. Even after reentering in short time while the corpses are not even finished (port to bind point) it is not possible to enter! No NUMBER to activate while the pick is still there. THAT IS A BUG!

Despite the other annoyances are simply bad design or missing ideas how to solve that. I want to have the chance to get into the pick and if I have 15min to do so to get my corpse back and loot the leftovers then this would not be a problem. BUT THIS IS NOT THE CASE!

Btw. a sidenote: Gina/Gameparse seems to sometimes have problems with writing/reading from the same source at high speed systems. I lost meanwhile a countless number of files because these tools have an incompatibility with my Highspeed System (M2 via NVMe). I tested that for months until I found that bug out. Even with my SSD it is a trouble and I don't want to be forced to use that 3rd party software for such a time limit. A big blinking red/yellow sign in the middle of the screen would be more appropriate for the seriousness of that timer to not miss this message. Nevertheless I am not talking about the usual 15min timer. I talk about the pick not available even if I zone out and immidiately zone in again and if I do it via Fellowship then fellow kicks me into the base pick.
  5. Baldur Augur

If you do /pick and the pick doesn't show in the list that means it's locked.

Until the pick collapses, so for 15 minutes, /pick in the base pick will open a pick window without any choices to pick into.

I'm not sure what using a campfire in a locked pick does, it sounds like it put you in the base pick because your pick was locked.
  6. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

I am pretty sure I understand picks on Live. I'm not sure you understand everything. Baldur explained the window thing...

Closing a pick happens for two reasons - there are too few people in base/main zone to support picks and there are too few people in the pick zone.

The too few people in the base/main zone is a number that varies by zone … but it's usually between 6-12 toons. So you could be in a full group in a pick and your pick gets locked because too many folks left the base zone.

Once a pick has been populated for some time (I think it's at least 45 minutes), there is a minimum number that has to be in the pick in order to keep it open. Usually seems to be 6 … but I think here mercs count so if you are a group with 3 toons and 3 mercs, I think a pick will stay open … or at least seems to.

The check for this minimum, once it starts occurring, is pretty much every sec (or at least seems like it). Evacing your group (or corpse releasing to bind) means you leave the zone temporarily. If a check occurs during the actual evac or when you've released to bind and are about to campfire back … and your pick now fails to have the minimum required, the 15 min closing messages will go out (but you will miss it … not being in zone) and the pick will lock immediately … then close in 15 minutes. And because you are not technically in the zone when the lock occurs, you are bounced. Big flashing messages won't help you.

This sounds exactly like what you are describing. I have spent late nights in picks and forget about the minimum number thing and use evac to escape a bad pull … and lose the pick. If I'm in a pick and hunting for alt gear, I will always bring a few scrub toons (if I can) and just leave them somewhere safe in the pick. That way if I have to change a toon for loot, I still maintain the minimum number of toons needed to keep the pick alive. And I never evac (unless I forget...)

None of this is a bug. You don't like the way it works, we get that. But it's worked this way since the very initial changes of picks on Live and has pretty much worked exactly like this ever since.

P.S. Audio triggers are built into the game and are not 3rd party software. It's why a lot of folks use them for things GINA may not be responsive enough for.
  7. Hitty Augur

Then this is the biggest crap ever.
    So it is again a misdesign. To cope with that we use now baby toons to trick the system.So the goal was to avoid the botters jumping from pick to pick which is completely useless in that way because they can program their stuff in any ways to compensate that. And if they are to lazy for it they permacamp the base camp. All real players who want to avoid these permacamps go now into picks and can cope with that annoyance and need to use a temporary solution to have a chance on some camps? Cudos for this design....glorious... if I would not had my sarcasm I could not survive sometimes in this world...

Thank you for this idea. Even I can not use them because that means to pay another account for ToV which I surely will not do only to hold picks alive...:confused:
    This game slowly goes down the drain...
  8. Hitty Augur

yes, it was exactly what happened.