Aradune TLP Server

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by GugokSkulkraker, Feb 13, 2020.

1. GugokSkulkraker Lorekeeper

Regardless of the rule set, I think we can all agree that a Brad McQuaid tribute server would be a nice gesture towards one of the creators of Everquest. He was instrumental in so many aspects of this game and was very passionate about Everquest. For those that are not aware and living under a rock, Brad passed away in November of last year.
    skattabrainz and Brunlin like this.
  2. Alakshak Journeyman

Firstly was that ever officially confirmed? And even if that was the cause how many artists and musicians have died young due to excessive substance abuse? That does not negate their impact or importance to the scene they were apart of. Grow up.
  3. Monkman Augur

EQ is a drug.
  4. Zansobar Augur

If you name a server Aradune eventually it will die. It's not good to name servers after people.
    Skuz likes this.
  5. Risiko Augur

No matter how you feel about the man, that's just not cool to say.

That was pretty insensitive and disrespectful to someone that was instrumental to the creation of a hobby that has touched many peoples lives more than probably ever was imagined it would. Everybody makes mistakes, but that does not detract from the accomplishments that you make for the brief time we all spend on this planet.

I didn't like what went down at Sigil Games, but I will not sit here and lie and say that he didn't mean a great deal to me for what he did with EverQuest. Even after what happened with Sigil Games and Vanguard, it was still a distinct honor getting to meet him at Fan Faire the last year that he worked for SoE before going to start Pantheon. He will always be one of my heroes BECAUSE of EverQuest, and it was devastating hearing of his passing.

Your flippant comment about the man is disgraceful.
  6. GugokSkulkraker Lorekeeper

Some people just have to say mean things so they can show how edgy they are. An Aradune Mithara server would make me happy to play on it. I just thought others might share that same sentiment.
    Risiko likes this.
  7. Runes Augur

Naming a server is a nice thought but I agree that it would fade too fast and be irrelevant.

Whatever idea it is, it has to be permanent and added to existing and new servers.

Maybe a cool quest line that incorporates tasks and item rewards that a quest giver named in honor of Brad that embody the good and positive aspects and traits that Brad had and brought to people.

Certainly at minimum you could make Aradune the epic ranger quest giver but that would miss the mark and only allow people leveling Rangers to enjoy.

Maybe include in a popular zone an area dedicated to him with relavant memorabilia included and items to his memory.
  8. Jhaerik Journeyman

Why not just make an Aradune server that endlessly cycles? IE gets to a certain expansion, stays there for 6-12 months then resets. Add in a special area in PoK(or perhaps a mini plane) to act as a tribute to the man, with perhaps a new quest line for a title (Follower of Arudune) perhaps? I'd resub to play there (seeing as Pantheon isn't ever going to launch...) :)

Could perhaps even work it so it reserves names between resets and certain titles/cosmetics/ect carry over between resets. Same with guilds.
  9. Mourning Would New Member

I like it, cycle through to a point, sit stationary 4 months, reset to classic. Once reset any toon over lvl 50 (or whatever point) is reset to level 1 on your account with the same names. free's up the mules and alt names, while keeping mains the same.
  10. Fraggly Augur

10/10. Make it truebox, allow breathing room for different server types, boom. Great idea.
  11. PVPme Augur

Really hope the new TLP is going to be a Truebox! Non-truebox sounds scary.
  12. Runes Augur

I'd have a hard time playing on a ground hog day server that I knew all of my time and effort would be wiped in a year and I would be stuck playing a classic to Kunark or classic to Luclin on an endless loop?

I think I get what you are after as there is a new TLP that seems to come out every year but the difference is that those servers have a longterm potential for your time and gear that you won't lose.

Only way I could see this working was if there was an option at the end of the server cycle to transfer to another TLP that was at an unlock equal to or ahead of where the recycle server was and every person transferring would have to understand that their name could change if it was a duplicate of someone else on the destination server.
  13. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I do not want an "Aradune" server unless it is for a Classic-PoP recycling seasonal server.

A non-seasonal & recycling server is just going to eventually fade out like all of the others have, a recycling one at least is satisfying a known market & would probably provide a good income for DPG.

Classic Recycler Server.

Starts in Classic:
    Truebox
    AoC
    Fast XP
    3 month unlocks
    Double rares
    halved unlock timers
    no Free-Trade
    Closes down 3 months after Quarm defeated by 50% of guilds raiding PoP (or something similar)
    Once closed Players may transfer their characters to any server which has unlocked Gates of Discord.
    Once transfer window closes the server is wiped & restarts in Classic again.
  14. curious2 Lorekeeper

id love to see an Aradune server
    basically, mangler plus beastlords and berserkers at classic start
    maybe slightly higher xp too than mangler, makes alts more fun and sells more bags and pots
    yes, there would be some minor problems, but it would be a nice gimmick and fun
  15. Jhaerik Journeyman

To
    To be fair I've been on Mangler for all of 3 days now and half the people I've ran into seem to box anyway lol.
  16. Fraggly Augur

Careful now, don't go stating the obvious to the Truebox fanatics. :rolleyes:
  17. Jhaerik Journeyman

I mean there is literally a guy in general right now spamming "twink group with boxed chanter" lol.
    Fraggly likes this.
  18. Risiko Augur

Considering you have been on the server for all of 3 days (your words), I can only assume you are at the low end of the level scale right now. The vast majority of the population on the server is at the other end of the spectrum right now raiding in Planes of Power. Therefore, the only people you are seeing right now are those who just got here, those that decided to roll yet another alt, and those that got kicked out of their raid guild for shady stuff and is starting over on a new toon.

Those people want to level, and as you probably already know, leveling is much easier and faster in a group, so it's not uncommon in the least that people will box in the low to mid levels on a server where most of the population is at max level. When you get closer to max level, you will see more people playing a single character.

Does that mean that people don't box at max level? No. Of course people box at max level. This is EverQuest after all. There are always people who want to min/max in EverQuest, and it has been that way on every single server since the beginning of time.

Every time you group with someone that is NOT boxing and that you enjoy grouping with, put that person on your friend list. When you login each day, see who is online in your friend list, and send them a tell. If you do that, I guarantee you that eventually you will have a group of friends to play with in EverQuest that are not just a bunch of boxers.

It's up to you to build an environment you enjoy playing in. Coming here to complain about the very, very small percentage of people you ran in to in THREE DAYS on the server does nothing other than discourage other would-be new players from trying out the Mangler server which in turn lowers the number of potential non-boxers for you to group with in game.

**update**
    Also, I want to point out that the Planes of Power expansion opened on the Mangler server last week. In a month (or less), a lot of the people that are going hardcore raiding Planes of Power will have all their flags, and be playing their alts again. This happens with every expansion opened. You literally joined the server at the peak time for people to be focusing on their max level characters. Give it a few weeks, and you will see a difference.

Towards the middle to last half of the Shadows of Luclin expansion, I was seeing plenty of groups in all level ranges because people were playing alts and new people were joining the server getting ready for Planes of Power.

That is the cycle of a TLP server. Just expect it.
  19. Alakshak Journeyman

To be fair Risiko you are right about the timing of coming to Mangler. I would just like to add a little addendum.

In my opinion and from what I've seen since Classic and from other TLPs the community is becoming much more insulated. Obviously I have no data for this but having played multiple TLPs at this point the speed at which people "settle" in is getting faster with each successive server. While there are still quite a bit of PUGs going on people are forming cliques much quicker than older TLPs.

Between boxing and guilds the PUG scene is a lot different than it was during say Phini's Classic-Velious. On Mangler it was not uncommon to see an entire picks of the Hole, Sebilis, Chardok, etc made up entirely of guild groups. Not the same guild holding down an entire pick of course. From camp to camp I would go seeing everyone sporting the same tag looking for a place for our group. Some involved boxes but most appeared to be normal groups of 5-6 people.

Point being in my opinion most people doing the TLP treadmill are less likely to join PUGs in general and are quick to settle into their clique. The amount of people I have met who will only do guild groups or box themselves is staggering. They don't box because they are some try hard krono farmer. They do it because outside of guild groups they are just less and less interested in taking a chance with PUGs due to some of the absolutely insane experiences they have had with PUGs.

It doesn't mean the pick up group scene is dead by any stretch but it's what I've seen first hand over the course of the last few years worth of TLPs. Take that for what it's worth.
    Fraggly likes this.
  20. GugokSkulkraker Lorekeeper

I disagree and keep in mind Aradune is an avatar within Everquest, not an actual person.