chat tabs for the new / returning player

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Ayeam, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Ayeam New Member

Hello,
    I have slowly been returning; getting used to the game, ui, and all the info presented in the chat windows/tabs.

I usually make one for group, for guild, spells, melee and sometimes for just the chat channels.

How do you set up your chat windows?
    Can you get tells to go to the same window?
    can you copy your favorite chat window layout to you army of alts?

I am hoping this will provide people with lots of info.
  2. Shanarias Augur

Did you do the tutorial? There is an NPC in that group in Gloomingdeep (I believe the name is Prathun) who tells you all the options for chat windows.
  3. Ayeam New Member

yes, i have done the tutorial on more than one character. Prathun is certainly helpful. I was hoping to get some insight into how folks playing the game set up chat windows. (you know the ones that aren't so arrogant that they actually help some one else) i don't use a parser so my combat/spell windows might be set up different than yours. Maybe if you craft, you have a set up that helps you see your crafting progress.

The more info that's available the easier it is to getting going and have fun.
  4. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Window for Heals with two tabs: Mine / Others
    Window for Melee damage with two tabs: Mine / Others
    Window for Spell damage with two tabs: Mine / Others
    Window for Spell casts with three tabs: Mine / Others / Spell Failures
    Window for Information with four tabs: Other / Loot / Randoms / Faction
    Window for Information2 with three tabs: Event / System / /Who
    Window for Chat with three tabs: Chat / Tells / Spam (all the other stuff I don't care about)

I also have a 4k monitor so I have lots of room for chat windows.
  5. Buri Augur

I set my incoming tells to open a new chat window (in options), so that I don't miss a tell on raids.
  6. Fredescu Augur

Does anyone have an answer for this one? Is this stuff stored in an ini file somewhere?
  7. Beimeith Lord of the Game

The answer is both yes and no.

/copylayout allows you to copy your UI layout from one character to a new character, but it is currently bugged and doesn't properly copy your chat windows. But rumor is that it's being fixed so hopefully soon.

Until then, if you want to copy your chat windows you need to manually copy the .ini file and rename it.

UI_charactername_server.ini