How do I get notifications for self-buffs expiring?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Fudly, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Fudly Elder

I'm trying to dual box a ranger + cleric on mangler, and I'm getting annoyed trying to keep my ranger bufffed. I try to keep him buffed (level 40) with his 3 damage shields, the attack buff, haste, clarity, the weapon proc, run speed, regeneration, and cleric ac/hitpoints. They all have different durations, so I constantly have to look up and deduce which ones are missing because I only got expiration notifications for ac and hitpoints.
  2. Qbert Gallifreyan

Those all should have the same type of fade messages, but perhaps you are missing them in combat spam? The yellow fade message is displayed to the person that cast the buff, and it sounds like you're seeing them on the cleric buffs your cleric cast, on your cleric's screen.

If not lost in buff spam on the ranger perhaps you have the filtered out/to a different window? There is a different type of message when you lose a buff someone else cast on you but it is nowhere near as prominent/it is easily missed in regular cast messaging.

Eventually with 20, 30, 40+ buffs it gets a little ridiculous to keep track, so I always have my buffs in the same locations so if one is missing I can tell at a glance which one it is. Perhaps you can come up with something similar for yourself if it might be helpful.
  3. Fudly Elder

I have buff expiration filtered to a chat window with little else. I'm not missing them. They're not there. I only get buff expirations for buffs I cast on other people. I've also searched my log with a text editor. The expirations for self buffs are not there.
  4. Qbert Gallifreyan

Ya I think it's called something else when it is your own buffs, but I'm not in game to check. As I am unsure which buffs you are using, I snagged Shield of Brambles as an example; you are looking for a message that says "The brambles fall away," as opposed to some yellow text saying that "Shield of Brambles" has worn off or some such.

https://lucy.allakhazam.com/spell.html?id=129&source=live

Cast on you: You are surrounded by a thorny barrier.
    Cast on other: Someone is surrounded by a thorny barrier.
    Wears off: The brambles fall away.
  5. Fudly Elder

Hmm, "the brambles fall away" is in my log, so is "the call of sky leaves" and "the precision fades". However, they're not showing up in the tab I've setup to display "worn off". How do I get those messages there?
    Yinla likes this.
  6. Fudly Elder

Ok, I found it. They're "spell emotes", and enabling them has the downside of getting the emotes of every buff that hits anyone in your group.

I appreciate your help.
    Yinla likes this.
  7. Nennius Curmudgeon

You could also note the text used when the buff expires and create an audio trigger for the event.
    Quatr, Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Dythan like this.
  8. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

Yep, audio triggers is the money. Set em up for the 2 or 3 shortest timers.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  9. Fudly Elder

I setup Gina to yell at me, but it still kinda sucks because the expiration text for Skin Like Steel, Spikecoat, and Riftwind's Protection is all "Your skin returns to normal." I wonder what the odds are of them ever implementing proper self buff expiration notifications.
  10. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

They recently changed some things about text lines in the game.

Ensuring 'wear off' messages include something specific to the spell may have been an oversight.

It actually might be a good time to bring this up in the bug thread, (lack of spell specific wear-off messages for the spells you know don't have them).
  11. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Don't believe this would qualify as a bug.

Wear off messages for effects you cast on others will always have a unique message that includes the name of the effect. Like:

Your Spirit of Wolf spell has worn off of Magnus.

So you can just make a single trigger like:
    ^your {s} spell has worn off of {s1}.

And that will catch all your spells fading on everyone and everything except yourself. Buffs (on others), dots, debuffs, etc. are all caught by that. It gets pretty spammy if you MGB a heal over time or something, but otherwise it's mostly pretty useful.

But your personal buffs fading have always had nonspecific fade messages. In later expansions they mostly tried to make them unique (I think, haven't played super recent expansions). For older effects there is a lot of overlap in their fade messages like OP mentioned with messages like "Your skin returns to normal" applying to many buffs.

It could definitely be a quality of life change to add the specific personal effect that faded to the fade message, but it wouldn't be a bug since it never functioned that way.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  12. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Yes, I don't propose it's a bug.

Just a nice quality of life thing.

I just mention it, as the bug forum is the only way to get an idea like this reliably percolated up to the devs.
  13. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Not quite a bug, but it is something that could be seen as a mistake. What I mean is that it is not asking too much that specific types of spells have specific types of faded/wore off messages. Like Temp line all have the same, each of the DS lines have one unique to it, Haste lines all have the same, etc.