Class Selection Help, Have Questions.

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Xruptor, Nov 23, 2019.

1. Xruptor New Member

Hello all. I'm looking for a particular class and I'm hoping you all can assist me. I would like a class that can hold it's weight and solo well. I'm also searching for a class that would be viable in groups and do decently well. I'm okay with being flexible between Solo and Grouping, but a BIG emphasis on what I'm looking for is soloing when I want to. I do enjoy grouping up and wouldn't mind hoping into groups here and there as well, but I don't want it to be a 100% requirement.

I used to play Everquest back in the day during launch. So it's been awhile!

Classes I'm looking at:

Beastlord:
    I will admit this class sort of intrigues me. It's unusual and I've always been a big fan of pet classes. I'm used to Necromancer and Magician and what not since I'm an old Everquest player. However, I wouldn't mind trying this class out. Does it perform well? Can it solo well? I'm not sure if they are even wanted in groups. Maybe Iksar for this one? Possibly Troll?

Magician:
    I will admit I played a Magician back during the early years of Everquest. They were great fun and were able to solo just fine. Though they did lack stuff that the Necromancer had in terms of CC. I recall doing pretty well and holding my own. I don't know the state of the Magician right now and I'm not sure if they are as strong or viable as they once were. I do recall them getting a bit repetitive and boring in later levels. I also don't know if they do well in groups? I was thinking maybe Dark Elf? Or Erudite possibly...

Necromancer:
    This has been one of my favorite classes in many MMORPGS. I even had a Necromancer back in the early days of Everquest. They were able to solo fantastically and hold their ground. However, I've been reading that they have been absolutely NERFED to the ground and are extremely terrible now. Apparently they aren't the powerhouse they used to be and soloing with them is not as wonderful as it used to be. I don't really want to play a class that is in that bad of a state honestly. I also read that they aren't that useful in groups and don't get access to groups often. It's a shame because I always did like this class. Was thinking of Iksar or Froglok for this one lol, maybe even Dark Elf.

Shadow Knight:
    This is one class that has always fascinated me and always wanted to play. Though I've heard and read mixed stuff about this class. I know they get pets and can hold their ground, but I don't know how well they solo or if they are even viable in groups. They used to be such a pain in the rear back in the day in Everquest to level. Times have changed and I don't know where this class stands. Would love to try this one would but not sure if it's worth my time. Possibly Iksar, Froglok, Ogre for this one...

Shaman:
    This is one of the only healing classes that ever intrested me. Primarily because I've always been a fan of shamans and they also get a pet. I don't know how well these would be able to solo and I'm sure they are viable in groups. Don't really know the current stand of this class but I feel I would be healing 99% of the time or buffing. Still outside the group setting it would be nice to be able to solo effectively when I'm in the mood. They used to be strong but not sure how things are now. For this one Iksar, Froglok, Troll.

I hope I can get some advice and feedback on the classes above. I'm looking for the ideal class. Pets are a huge thing for me and that is one of the reason the choices are what they are above. Thanks in advance everyone!
  2. Xruptor New Member

3. matouoli Elder

well all these class can solo * pretty well * , i play a shaman since 1999 and always been able to solo if needed .

no merc if mobs don't summon . and i get a merc if mobs summon and hit hard.
  4. Finfan Augur

A mage with a Merc and Pet is a pretty awesome solo combination. Druids also do quite well. When it comes to traveling Druids can't be beaten!
  5. Fluid Augur

Depends on your game play style too. For instance, if you plan on running a lot of quests, it is a good idea to have a tracker [Druid, Ranger, Bard]. All three get fast feet<eventually> so they are pretty good at surviving. They are mostly outdoor types so not the best at dungeon diving.

If you plan on breaking camps, Enchanter is good/best. There is some overlap with other types that have similar spells, just the Enchanter is hands down the best.

You mentioned Shaman. They get the earliest SoW and decent DOTs so they can solo and survive like a Druid. They do group well and find groups easier IMHO.

Necromancer, honestly in most situations they are one of the most powerful characters in the game. Crazy good DOTs, decent pet, can self heal and do a bit of it on other characters. Only problem is they are pretty hated by a lot of NPCs so you have a reduced number of places you can go and quests you can complete w/o some serious faction work.

My second character created and oldest surviving character is a Magician. I've made maybe half a dozen over the years and have not regretted any of them. They excel at resource gathering so I have a tendency to make them just for that purpose. I have a lot of alts, so I'll use the Magician to do everything from farm resources to summon arrows and armor for the other characters. I mean even if you run a Necromancer as your main, it is nice to have a Magician there to summon toys for their pets.

Shadow Knights are one of the best tanks in game ATM. They are really independent and grow in power well as they level. Same restrictions apply as a Necromancer of course.

Kind of a cheesy answer, restricted to one character I would go Druid. Of the ones you mention, Magician would be my choice because they make a good utility character that can help any other character you have on the account. In a face to face solo fight, you will get the most mileage out of Magician + pet + Cleric Merc over the other classes assuming you are on live.
    SunDrake likes this.
  6. Xruptor New Member

Shaman was one of those classes that did seem interesting to me. I didn't know how effective they were at soloing being a healing class. I know they get a pet but I figured they weren't as strong in solo as some other classes. Being a healer will probably help out in group content.

Mage is probably on the top of my list of what I'm looking at. Though I've been reading that they are what some people have referred to as a "one trick pony". Apparently they don't have the CC tools that the Necro have. But they do have raw power in nukes and in their pets and apparently bring some group utility (though I'm not sure what) to the table. It does look like a great class, just not sure how well they do in the long run.

I played an Enchanter back in the day as well and it just didn't fit what I was looking for. Shaman seems like an interesting choice as mentioned before in previous responses. It may be something I should look into. I didn't expect a healing job to fit what I'm looking for, but if they can solo quite decently and heal, then why not.

Necromancer seems to be one of those classes I keep reading negative things about. Something about that they have never had their spells updated or what not. That they have been severely nerfed and just aren't as effective as they used to be. I'm hesitant to work on a class that has a huge hindrance right now. This is of course unless people are exaggerating and such and the class is just fine. If it wasn't for these doubts I would definitely play a Necromancer.

Shadow Knights always deem seem like a interesting job. A tank with necro abilities? Just didn't know how well they would be able to handle themselves solo. I can't imagine their abilities to be as strong as necro, but they should be good enough to help them survive and solo I suppose. The class armor and lore has always fascinated me.

Beastlord? It's a shame no one has mentioned this class? It does look really great but I can barely find any information pertaining to how this class is performing. It seems like a mixed bag but looks and sounds like lots of fun. Not sure if they can solo well and or if they are accepted in groups.
  7. Enigma Maitreya Augur

IF you plan on using Mercs (Tank, DPSMelee, Healer, DPSCasting) then the Magician, Necro, Beastlord, ShadowKnight all do very well here.

You can find different race mercs in PoK by doing a Find and then look for mercenary X. Not that when you go to Hire a Merc, there is a drop down, Apprentice and Journeyman.

Apprentice is the lower end and has rank 1 to 5 within it. Journeyman, IF you are all access, is the higher end and has rank 1 to 5 (2,3,4,5 if you do quest OR go Heroic and do that simple quest).

To be clear, Apprentice Rank 1 is lowest, Journeyman 5 is the highest.

Take note that some races offer "monster" races Orc, Goblin, Kobald etc.

IF you want to explore an area, then probably a Halfling Rogue is the best. Somewhere in the 50's it gets hide+sneak at sow+ speed. I think it is at 300 Sneak you are protected vs most anything that can see standard invis.

Beastlord does very well with a Merc, you can only have 1 out at a time, but you can have up to 6 to choose from.

Rogue does very well with a healer merc.

Shadow Knight does very well with tailored to encounter merc (or without a merc).

Ranger does very well with a tailored to encounter merc (Healer default).

Magician and Necromancer with any merc have staying power dand damage. I would be hard pressed to try to rank BL/SK/Mag/Necro vs mobs +10 levels higher as to which class is better. I probably would select Healer in that case. The why is it is complex when dealing with a DPS Burn vs slow and steady.

A very notable mention here is Warrior + Healer Merc. This is not as fast as the previous but certainly is acceptable if you like that play style.

Druid/Wizard/Shaman can be either under powered saving mana or over powered burning mana.

Cleric + Warrior .... questionable DPS.

Bard/Enchanter ... I do not like class's that are awesome except when ther charms/music breaks. So I tend to stay away from those two class's. As in my opinion, they can go belly up fast.
  8. Xruptor New Member

Thanks all I went with the Magician, lets see how things go. Worse case scenario I'll try out the Beastlord and Shadow Knight.