how to start up again?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Evertrek, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Evertrek Augur

TL;DR

started EQ1 at kunark and EQ2 after it was tuned to run on most PC finally. have played on and off for years. seen a few guilds come and go, raided, even had a RL EQ guild reunion once. i have played on Luclin but tried TLPs (and loved it). main has always been a cleric on EQ and summoner on EQ2, but have tried every class and trade-skill. explored everywhere...

i would like to start again, but was hoping a solo game (without boxing) would be available by now. i know that with a merc solo can happen until about level 62 then it slows. solo with a cleric has always been problematic. cleric used to be a class i could log into and have to turn down groups and raids i had so many requests. now they are on par (have been for years) with all other healer classes. soloing a cleric to endgame is not possible.

i don't want this thread to be "why can't i solo to endgame," or "it's hard to find a group for casual gamers." more about how would i start up/over again to at least want to login and raid once a week.

i helped my son get star wars galaxy working (with an site) and he loves it. dispute the fact he has played high end graphic games, even SWTOR. with that said he asked what was the appeal EQ had in the day. i said full servers with people playing a unique class that provided a role in a group. he loves PS2 and wishes he had a chance to play PS1. it's still a nice game for a scifi/shooter gamer. he likes ESO and may like EQ, but i doubt he would ever reach endgame without months of grind leveling.

so how do we get started again?
  2. Vumad Cape Wearer

Download the client and play together. That's all really.

I think for all that other stuff you are going to get exactly what you expect. The game is still designed around grouping. Player populations are not what they once were. The tank mercs are weak both as a tank and as a DPS so molo'ing as a cleric will still be a challenge. Frinding a quick group in a 30 minute session is very unlikely and finding a capable raid force once a week as a weak gear player with low play time and low networking will be challenging.

That does not mean that there is not a lot of enjoyment available to you. Have the one of you playing the most be a WAR/PAL/SK/MAG and the person playing less be a ENC/SHM/BRD/BST. Rock a cleric merc and a DPS merc and enjoy the time with your son.

If you guys will consider boxing, you get a 3rd merc with that box.
    Making a mage with a hot key
    /assist MT
    /pet attack
    /pause 50, /cast 1
    /pause 50, /cast 2
    /pause 50, /cast 3
    is a super simple way to box. You can do the same thing with any other caster based DPS class. Druid are good because you can port and if the cleric merc dies or you get a named you can use the same concept as what I suggested for DPS but using heals.

Also if you are absolutely against boxing, you can use a bard box. /melody 1, 2, 3, 4 and leave him standing in the camp. That gets you some input free buffs and a 3rd merc.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  3. Evertrek Augur

i have old accounts that i used to box with...but these days we want spotify premium, fios gigabit internet, streaming service 1, 2, 3. we lack the money and time. even if there was a level 105 boost, like you said endgame is a group/guild hardcore activity.

so why would EQ marketing even boast about tons of content and such but new and returning players don't have a chance to get past level ##. i would think by now live would give 10x xp boost and stats to easily solo to max level-10 at least (without boxing but maybe mercs). clerics and all classes should be able to solo to endgame - 10. my guess there is a technical reason EQ cant be retrofitted to have level adjusted zones (so zone progression can start anyplace like ESO and even WoW now).

just want to get the feels again, level, and catch up with the new endgame...
  4. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

You might check out the Miragul server opening next week, you are pretty much the target demographic for it. https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/miragul-heroic-progression-server-faq.260187/

TLDR: Everyone starts at level 85 with moderate group gear in the House of Thule expansion (level 90 cap) and new expansions will unlock every 2-3 months from then on. Should be a lot of grouping opportunities for a while since everyone will be the same level provided that enough people make a go of the server.

I'm not sure how high of a level you ever got on Luclin so the biggest hurdle might just be wrapping your head around a level 85 character and all of the abilities that come with that if you haven't played that high and/or have been gone from the game for awhile.
    Yinla likes this.
  5. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Because making an I win button and making it a solo game defeats the purpose of playing.

This game is free to play, if you want to go that route, and is actually seriously generous with what is available free, especially considering that you can pay for 1 month (or save plat and buy a krono), go gold, and get auto granted AA. If you are smart with gear, you can easily play that way, especially if you want to have fun.

You want to be end game? It isn't a quick thing, that is simply not this game, where people have hundreds to THOUSANDS of days played (as in, 25,000+ hours).
  6. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

How to start? Just start. Who cares if you die. Rez and get after it again.

That's how you learn. Good luck.
  7. Nennius Curmudgeon

Good advice. Some folks research so long that they never seem to do much. Jump in! Have fun!

P.S. Do learn something from each death though.
  8. Vumad Cape Wearer

There is tons of content. Sounds like you want to skip the majority of that content, play for free and a fast pass to the end. Sounds like you have some very unrealistic expectations and are setting yourself up for disappointment.

Hang on to that nostalgia and check back when you are ready to be realistic with your expectations.
  9. Bigstomp Augur

You mentioned having a son to play with you. That makes 2 of you.

Pick complementing classes and make use of mercs for other roles (personally I'd go tank and healer, and let the mercs do the dps - if they suck you don't die)

Keep an eye out and invite players who are in your level range.

Classes CAN solo to level -10, but it won't be fun or immediate. It's a group game at heart.

But if you have 2 people playing together. With mercs added you're half way there. You can make progress. Then add random people and find friends and build a social network. Then it goes from there.
    Zamiam likes this.
  10. Zamiam Augur

aye agree with Bigstomp .. also
    I would suggest you pick a tank that can self heal a bit . either an SK or Pally then pick mage or necro for the 2nd .. with mage you get decent dps plus an extra tank or necro good sustained dps with a not so bad pet .. then use merc's to fill 1 healer plus a dps merc .. both SK and necro have FD abilities also in case of bad pull ..
  11. Captain Video Augur

Every so often I see a thread like this one and always say "Take a look at the Hero's Journey questline." It was created to give both brand new and long-absent returning players an interesting story arc to follow from level 1. Or, if you warm up with the excellent tutorial questline in Gloomingdeep, from around level 10. It will make use of some major subquests from classic-era zones, and so you'll see a lot of the game world as you progress. A few HJ subquests can be annoyingly grindy, but that's also part of the EQ experience. Almost all of it can be done with two live players + mercs; in the later stages there are a few raid-class quests which will require min. 6 to request, which means either boxing a third toon + merc, or joining one of the guilds on your server to find a buddy to help out. There is definitely a sense of accomplishment when and if you finish it, and you'll end up with main(s) at 85+ ready to become Heroic.

All but a few of the live servers have one or more "family-friendly" guilds who aren't exclusively doing endgame content, so once you're in the the 70-range you should be able to find others who are trying to get matching-level toons over that hump. Avoid Trak and Vox servers for this purpose.

Should you decide the HJ thing isn't for you, there are a variety of power-levelling guides online which walk through various classic zone levelling paths. Two players can get to 85 faster that way, and from there you're going to have to do some social networking on whichever server you choose, it's an EQ fact of life.
    Vumad and Bigstomp like this.
  12. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

If you still have access to your old accounts use them, every year your account has been activated you gain vet rewards these are very helpful especially the bonus exp for 30 minutes.

As suggested try Miragul which launches next Tuesday, every one will be level 85 and there will be a lot of grouping opertunities available. You do need a subscription though.I'm sure this server will have a lot of players who don't know what they are doing at level 85, but also a lot of help from players who have been there before answering questions.

You may wish to create a char on another server before then, and do the tutorial so you get used to the commands again.

Good luck and welcome back. :)
  13. Bigstomp Augur

HJ is amazing for returing players. Should let them get into the game again while having quests to do.
    It's not perfect though. You may need to side trip now and then or just grind now and then to reach the next doable state of the quest. (the harpy quest - forget the zone name) was particularly rough for level appropriate people.
  14. Evertrek Augur

I don't plan to play with my son. He plays ps2 with his groups and showed interest in EQ. He started SWG and will pull some friends into that game.. But not sure how to introduce new players to EQ.

As for me getting started again. I have 3 accounts with level 95 characters. My retired main is a level 95 cleric. I've healed raids for years. Did the gear up dance with groups. I don't mind a little grind but with friends. None of my friends list show up anymore.

I did see the next TLP may be a more casual server. I don't have an issue paying a sub for something of value. I get the feeling a few here are thinking pleaple taking the free to play option as freeloaders. May want to rethink that.

I have enjoyed TLP content and have enjoyed content for years. I want to start again on live and maybe get back to raiding ready. As a cleric. But live is dead except for endgame. All I was saying is most other mmos have addressed the replay value of older zones.
  15. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

If you are considering Miragul TLP take a look at Last of the Ancients website, it maybe what you are looking for if you wish to be casual now with the possability of raiding later on.

https://lastoftheancients.enjin.com/
  16. Evertrek Augur

thanks. ordering the the new expansion today. have a good one.

has anyone ever suggest letting us have out more than one merc at a time?
  17. Zamiam Augur

yes its been suggested , I dont think dev's ever responded to it but it will probably never happen ..
    if you want another merc just start a F2P 2nd account choose bard or mage and keep it F2P and you have a A3 or 5 merc if silver can go up to A5 if a true Free to play then only A3..
    with Merc aa's the A5 isnt that bad of a merc with gear and AA's ..
  18. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

19. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

EverQuest has a habit of addressing things in a way other games don't, the issue of replay of older zones was sort of addressed by the introduction of Spirit Shrouds, a gameplay mechanic which is a little sidetracked from the main game as it allows you to play a "monster" of level 5 to 70 & every 5 levels inbetween, their stats haven't aged well due to the game revisions which followed their roll-out but you can use these with Mercs too, I recently decided to go hit Nagafen & Vox 3 boxing level 50 spirit shrouded characters & mercs & it was a lot of fun.

Getting back to live is doable just time consuming, you have a great head start if you have 3x level 95's if they are all on different accounts & you can 3 box, as I understand it Call of the Forsaken introduced "Heroic Adventures" & these HA are the means by which most players progress in levels & gear until they catch up to the live expansions.
  20. Asnjas1 New Member

Doesnt want to turn it into a why cant i solo or finds groups. Second post complains about lack of exp boosts and stat boosts allowing easy soloing to max level.

I also like how he asks a simple question and refuses the simple answer. How do i get started? You download and play. No seriously how do i get started im wondering.

I hope no one gives him the free stuff and pling hes clearly after.