There NEEDS to be a limit of items you can buy on barter

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Dagum, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Colonel Zuppendaff New Member

<insert foot in mouth>
    I didnt mean any disrespect, i don't know you and my comparison was out of line. I am sure you're a terrific player. I'm sorry.
  2. Annastasya Augur

They could also just make some changes to the bazaar search function. For example, for any single item searched, each Trader that is buying or selling that item will be listed once, until all traders of that item have been listed (up to 200 or whatever the limit is), at whatever their highest price is, before a second listing for the same trader is shown.

Now, if someone wants to run hundreds of gold accounts on the same server just to attempt to eek out the competition on some items, kudos to them. More money for the game, and the competition probably would not be worth it.
    Sathayorn likes this.
  3. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

You mean when a player searches to sell they only get one or two buyers? On Xegony I see 7 or 8 buyers of krono all have multiple buy lines up. So I assume you have to list a lot of them separately to completely block someone out.
  4. Lianeb Augur

Search only returns 200 results.
    You have to have the plat on you to cover a buy line.
    You do not have to have the plat on you to cover ALL your buy lines.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  5. Laronk Augur

I saw your post, feedback isn't constructive so it's not going to help. Those botters actually cause prices to go down so most people benefit too
  6. Duder Augur

Are you suggesting looking the other way concerning cheaters because their you think that their illicitly obtained goods saturating the market is a good thing for the playerbase? This boggles my mind.
  7. Vumad Cape Wearer

Fixing something by breaking something else is never a good solution.

Say I want a set of Frostfell armor and I want to pay 50k per piece. I need 300k. If I only have 100k, that shouldn't mean I have to pick which pieces I try to buy. I might list chest and legs and then someone looking to sell arms comes along and now we are on craigslist in the missed connection section. I should be able to list all 6 slots at 50k a piece and get what I get while I work on saving more money.

The solution is that you can only list one buy price per item and all of the items are listed as one single buyer line just how trader works.

Say I play the game. I have one single item I want to obtain so I drop by the baz and throw out a buy line before logging off for the night. Meanwhile someone is working the market as an income source. They are not part of the community or contributing to the game in any way. They have just found a way to drop in, work the system in a way that can almost be called and exploit and then move on. This does nothing for the game. It disrupts the player base and has a negative affect on the economy.

Sure, if one person wants to work the market to make money and nothing else then that is fine. I have played the market plenty in EQ and Crossout *while* actually playing the real game. But if they only thing they do is log in and put out 50 buy lines of barter spam and then log off, then they are not per say working harder. Imagine if Walmart sent people into target to hand out flyers and spam the consumer base. Think that would fly? Think when target trespasses these individuals the police would blow them off and just say "well if you were willing to put in the effort to advertise you'd be at walmart handing out flyers too. Stop crying Walmart is working harder." No, Target would ask them to leave, or make them, because despite anyone being allowed in the store, intentionally disruptive behavior is not going to be tolerated. I mean, that's what the conflict is about right? Spam marketing?
    Nniki and Duder like this.
  8. Ngreth Thergn Developer

I'll bring this up in the next design meeting. This is only a commitment to discuss the topic, not to make any changes.
    Magickon, Nniki, Yinla and 8 others like this.
  9. Dahaman Augur

This could be solved by allowing any number of buy lines (no change here), but on the barter (or is it buyer?) window, only list each buyer once listing their highest offered price.

That should be a single (= simple?) code change to one window?
    NameAlreadyInUse likes this.
  10. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

I still think the cap is the real issue and removing it is the real solution, but a couple of ideas stand out to me:
    • Limit the number results displayed from any single vendor, just like the /baz does. Default the number to something low, like 5 1 or 2, and let the buyer increase the number if they want to.
    • Forcing players to actually put up cash for each buy line makes perfect sense to me. I really can't believe people are able to put up 10 buy lines for a million plat each when they only have 1 million plat. (On the other hand, I'm not sure this would have any effect because there are plenty of players with enough plat to saturate the /barter with legit buy lines).
    Man, I always wanted other people to think I was Good, but I know you're right. :D
  11. Laronk Augur

Well they should get rid of anyone automating stuff, but just because someone is running 6 traders doesn't mean they're automating stuff. If they're instantly changing their prices, take a little video and petition the player and then maybe something will happen.

As far as there being lots of stuff on the market, it's a really good thing for the buyer. Do you have examples of illicit goods? You're not being very specific, are they going and farming all the collectibles and selling them too cheap? I don't sell stuff very often
  12. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I think the real question is how many servers even have this problem of people blocking everyone else from having their sell lines appear.
  13. Vumad Cape Wearer

Did you read my reply above? I used the example of armor ornamentations. If there are 6 slots, and I have enough for 3 of them, why should I have to choose only 3 to list for purchase? Doesn't it make logical sense that I can put out buy orders on all 6 and take what I get? The difference is that I want one of each item rather than trying to buy 50 of the same item. It makes more than logical sense that I can put out a list of collectable items I want to purchase rather than hope that the one item on my list I want is the one item that become available for sale.

All that does it put the people with abundant platinum at a huge advantage and makes it very difficult for poorer players to diversify their buying experience.

Imagine if before you went to the store IRL you had to pick the exact item you were going to buy. You arrive at the store and the item you want is not available but another item you want is present open box in stock. You have the money, but the store tells you no because it's not on the list you wrote before you went shopping. It makes no sense what so ever.

All the proposed switch would do is change the conflict from whoever can shout the loudest to whoever had the most advertising funds. It's not a solution.
  14. Duder Augur

Example relating to what I interpreted you saying - Higher amount of EoK chase loot being available (When current, EoK and RoS) because botters are afk killing 24/7 at easy locations like bifaak or the yeti caves in lcea.

However, you were referring to automated auto updating bazaar traders. Im not sure how anyone can think that artificially driving down prices is healthy for any market. Its a player controlled market, using automation when its not available for other players creates a very unbalanced economy.

The economy is bloated with excess platinum from various means as is. A current infux is from the FTP mage bots across all servers farming the OOW instances and selling at Wollems in NRO. So anyone who is crying about expensive items is probably not selling things themselves and thus has no platinum. Support the economy, sell your farmed items, your excess TS mats, Quest items, twink gear, etc. It all moves.
  15. Laronk Augur

My problem with this is the whole bazaar system sucks, I would actually sell stuff if we had an auction house like in other games but as it is now I either have to keep trading stuff to another character or at the end of my play session I need to go down to the bazaar take all of my bags and swap them with satchels and go setup my trader and then go update all the new items.

The AH way from WOW and other games.

Between missions or when I log on I walk over to an npc and bam bam bam my things are for sale and I can play the game at the same time. Tons of people don't sell at all just because they have to go setup a trader. I'm on FV I have good things that I could sell too.

I usually end up giving lots of things away.
  16. Duder Augur

Indeed, it is a very antiquated system and needs looking at. What you describe is what the majority of the playing population do. An AH system like you describe would probably eliminate the ability to use a program that automatically undercuts people on set intervals.

A balance of some sort need be part of the design. It is a sure sign that the bazaar need overhauling when posts concerning cheating by using automated scripts and people flooding out other buyers with spam advertising are a monthly occurrence on the boards. And what % of the playing population even browse these boards let alone have ever visited them? When we see a "New Member" come post here, it shouldn't be taken with light weight. This person who never visits the boards has taken the effort to try and cry out because the issue has gotten them to their boiling point. The majority of players have no idea with the DBG Issue Tracker is or how to use it or contribute to issues. So it's very easy for DBG to push these concerns under the carpet for later because there isn't enough input from the community.
  17. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

I did read your reply and, imho, your concern falls at the bottom of the priority list. I recognize that the existing /barter system gives you this ability and also that the existing /barter system appears to have worked fine until the price cap became a bigger issue.

But for now, if the devs/handlers can't put resources towards fixing the price cap (which is the root of this /barter problem) and if people are suggesting duct tape fixes, then I think players with resources should be prioritized over players who do not actually have the resources yet.

But I do recognize your concern, and the feature you are requesting doesn't seem unreasonable - IF there wasn't a price cap that curtails an actual free market (where people would always have the ability to bid higher or sell lower).
  18. Waring_McMarrin Augur

This would be a very good idea so that a player can't have one line at 2 million and another at 2k to try and confuse players
  19. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

or better yet: only put their lowest offer up so they stop trying to cheat folks :)

EDIT: ROFL...I don't really think this would do anything. For something like Kronos, where everybody is just trying to buy ANY, only putting a buyer's low price up would be funny :)
    But for items that haven't yet reached the price cap, you would only hurt sellers by only putting up low buy prices only. Free market (no cap) is really the best solution.
  20. Moege Augur

Propose that people on your ignore list does not show up on barter/trader
    That would allow us to filter out the spammer/cheaters without mercy.

And it should be a 5min change.
    Coagagin likes this.