Do resists (saves) only block spell damage?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Kukaw, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Kukaw Augur

I know if they are high enough it lessens the chance a DoT or DD will land on you, but do they also lessen the damage that said spells do to you if they do get through?

Thanks
  2. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

No, as a rule they do not. There are however separate stats which do result in a reduction of the damage you receive from DoTs and DDs. This would be DoT shielding and Spell shielding; these are gained via specific Heroic attributes, Heroic Wisdom (though it might be the higher of Heroic Wisdom or Heroic Intelligence)to be specific.
  3. Kukaw Augur

Ahh ok!

Thank you:)
  4. Zipe The Healer

As far as I know, when you do a resist check you can roll resisted, partially resisted, and not resisted.
    Partially resist makes the spell do less damage to you.
    What I don't know is if it's applied to PC vs NPC or NPC vs PC or both. I just assume is both and live in the ignorance.

What Xianzu_Monk_Tunare is refering to is "spell mitigation" that comes from Heroic Wisdom and Heroic Int.
    Imagine It's like Mitigation and avoidance from AC and melee defensive.... Spell resist makes you avoid damage, like a dodge. Heroic Wis and Heroic int makes you mitigate damage.
  5. SunDrake Augur

Interesting. Learned something here. I always assumed resist checks [based on your innate resistances] applied to both total resists and partials [less than full damage.]