Ranger Weapons on a tlp.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Abyssmul, May 20, 2019.

1. Abyssmul New Member

Hello,

Im kinda newb as a melee. My last few tlp I was a Cleric or Shaman. So I was hoping to get some advice. I have the following weapons roo work with.

Serpents Tooth, Crystalline Spear, Fluxbladed Axe, and Smoldering Brand. I could possibly buy a spined dragon claws too if needed.

I understand the dmfg ratios but struggle to understand how to best choose which weapon goes MH & OH.

Can you guys tell me which 2 weapons are best served in each hand? She's possibly explain why? So i can make better decisions on my own and not need to post everytime I upgrade..

Thank you Kindly
    50th Ranger on mangler
  2. Moranis Augur

Roughly speaking, this is how your damage is calculated:

Primary: ((WeaponDmg * 2) + DmgBonus) / (Delay / 10)
    Secondary: (WeaponDmg * 2) / (Delay / 10)

You can find damage bonus charts online, but they are almost all (( 9 )) at Lvl 50 for 1H weapons under 27 delay.

But it's not all about damage - if you're tanking, you probably want the Flux Axe in MH because of the proc, even though the ratio is garbage compared to the others.

In general, I believe you want the best ratios, but in the mainhand you want the best ratio that's the highest possible damage (So, a 14/28 wep would be better than a 12/24 wep) to take advantage of the damage bonus, but in the offhand you just want the best ratio because damage bonus isn't considered.

I could be wrong, but this is how I remember it. You probably want to use Serp Tooth in MH and Brand in offhand. Use the Flux Axe when you need aggro, and sell the Crystalline spear.
  3. Meredyth Augur

There was a patch where they changed damage bonus to scale with delay so it is now just better to always put the best ratio in main hand and the second best ratio in off hand.

Two things might have a small impact here though - aggro is based on your base damage per swing regardless of whether you hit or not, and while the aggro will still be best with the best ratio, I could see a situation where low delay weapons would be better for when someone tries to tank because the aggro would come in many small chunks, while with a high delay weapon the aggro might be the same but it would come in larger chunks with more time in between for DPS to accidentally pull aggro off the tank, meaning you might see slightly more aggro bounce at the start of fights with a high delay weapon compared to a low delay weapon, even if they are the same ratio.

The second consideration is weapon proc rate, if I recall correctly the main hand proc fires more often than the off hand proc, but given that proc damage is so low compared to the actual weapon swing damage, it really shouldn’t influence your choice (unless it is an insanely good aggro proc and you are a warrior)
  4. Abyssmul New Member

So in this case is main handing the spear (13/30) and offending the tooth (13/27) the best choice?

The spear is MH only.

And if i got the spined dragon claws (10/21) how would that go? I assume it would offhand and tooth main?
  5. Meredyth Augur

Yes the spear limits your options being main hand only. Yes, Tooth is roughly a 0.48 ratio while spines dragon claws is 0.476 so the tooth is slightly better and would go in main hand.

Rangers have one other thing that matters - they have a disc in Kunark which allows them to proc 100% or something and then the proc becomes more important than it normally is, but only when the disc is running
  6. Kelandi Elder

Spined Dragon Claws are Primary slot only.

Tooth mainhand, Brand offhand. Don't waste your plat or krono on Claws... most of these will be replaced fairly quickly in about 2 weeks.