Agnarr Question

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Vanyana, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Vanyana New Member

So thinking about renewing my account and playing on this server. Never liked anything past LDON and just read about Agnarr. How is the life on this server? Decent amount of people still playing on it? Would love to raid this content again. Thanks.
    Ulfhedinn and Rogue Captain like this.
  2. Protagonist Tank

There are a few people still raiding, but I can't in good conscience recommend starting fresh on Agnarr. There is no group game at all - you will be soloing all the way to raiding levels. And since the server is PoP locked, you won't have any of the mechanics or xp boosts that make that less painful.
  3. Vanyana New Member

Eh, I played for years before hell levels were taken out. XP isn't a concern of mine. I like the challenge. I fully anticipate soloing for the most part until my mid 40's joining a server 2 years after release. 1k days played as a wizard so I know the ins and outside of the character. More concerned about end game life. If it's somewhat active I will probably dump 2 years into the server until Pantheon is released. Tired of other mmo's and single player games are boring to me.
  4. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

If you need some help, shoot me a PM or just post your character name. I got like 30k plat you can have from one of my traders since I don't play on this server anymore.
  5. Rogue Captain New Member

Agnarr has an awesome core population. You won't be disappointed if you're looking for a small, but close-knit community. Many people left for the new TLPs, but I'm seeing more and more return as time passes.

Most on the server have lower level alts, so it still may be possible to find some people to group with from time to time. Once you hit 40 it'll get easier to find a group as Velks is still a popular grouping spot up to mid 50s+.

There are still some larger guilds doing content (Luclin, back flagging, time, etc...). I have a couple toons in Shadow Requiem and it's an amazing family.

Welcome to the server! If you post your toon name when you start I'll see if I can help you through some of those pesky lower levels.
    Ulfhedinn likes this.
  6. Vanyana New Member

Thanks guys. Just rolled my new toon. Brought a smile to my face seeing Neriak again. Look me up sometime. Character is Vanyana.
  7. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Check your parcel delivery I sent you 33,000p and some change.
    Good luck
  8. Corydon Augur

I'm playing at EU times in the evenings and I do find groups. But it's nowhere near as good as it was before Mangler opened. It's a frigging shame. I kind of hope people bore out on Mangler and come back to Agnarr (unlikely) and people realize Selo is a project and come back to Agnarr (I may hope, right?) :)
  9. Risiko Augur

Seeing as this is DBG's first experiment in having an expansion locked server, I'm curious how this server compares to the p99 server.

Can anybody with experience of p99 and Agnarr give some insight on the comparison between the two now that Agnarr is long past it's progression era?

• Is the low to mid level grouping seen the similar?
    • Are the number of active max level guilds raiding similar?
    • Is the in-game economy similar?
    • etc
    Ulfhedinn likes this.
  10. Ulfhedinn New Member

Let's start off with the TL:DR version first. IMHO Agnarr, as a server, is far better than P99 in almost every way. However, other people may have a different experience and/or may be looking for something different in their gameplay.

Now for the long version...
    It's been over a year since I've played on P99, but I'll try to answer your questions to the best of my knowledge based on what I remember. For me, after playing on Agnarr, I most likely will never go back to P99. The high level gameplay on Agnarr is awesome. The people on the server are mostly a great group of folks with few exceptions.

Is the low to mid level grouping seen the similar?
    • On Agnarr very few people are leveling new characters, but it's still possible to find lower level groups on the weekend (and sometimes during the week). What makes the lower levels tolerable is the vast amount of people in PoK willing to buff lower level toons free of charge. It's a great server currently. Many generous people still play on the server. As Rogue Captain said earlier in this post, once you hit 40 there are typically people leveling in Velks, which gets you into the low 50s. Then you can start the Planes from there.
    • On P99 I remember the lower level population being healthy during my time on the server (although, similar to Agnarr, this depended on time of day/week). This may have something to do with the slow exp rate of the server and absence of general chat or LFG function (forcing people to travel to the zone to LFG and wait for a group), which would force more players to stay lower level for longer. I grouped with a level 52 SK on Agnarr this weekend who started his toon 5 days ago. It's not difficult get into the 50s on Agnarr, but it was a long grind for my play style on P99.

Are the number of active max level guilds raiding similar?
    • I'm guessing there are about 5 or 6 active raiding guilds on Agnarr right now. All my toons are in one of them, but I've interacted, grouped, and raided with players from other guilds and have had positive experiences each time. These are pretty stable guilds and they treat their guildies with respect mostly.
    • On P99 I remember there being 2-3 elite guilds who treated all other players and guilds like crap. I hated the high end game on P99, which is the main reason I came to Agnarr.
    Is the in-game economy similar?
    • This is for sure a resounding no. Items in the Bazaar on Agnarr go for pretty cheap. A Krono, which is $18 at the DBG store, is going for about 65k on the server right now. With that you could deck out 2-3 characters (depending on class) with very good gear that will get you into your 50s. A fungi tunic is going for about 6k right now. IIRC a fungi tunic on P99 is virtually impossible to get as a new (and sometimes a veteran) player. I mained an Ogre Shaman on P99 and I didn't have a fungi until I was in my mid 50s. Additionally, the shared bank slots help because you can transfer gear easily from character to character, rather than buying gear for each character or having to trust a stranger at the WC tunnel.
    etc
    • For me I like Agnarr because, like P99, there is an end game and there are no expansions to chase. However, unlike P99 (IMO), high level gameplay is fun and relaxing. There are instanced dungeons, spawns aren't perma-camped, and most toxic people on the server left for Coirnav or Mangler. What's left is a healthy core population. I can always get additional AAs, better gear, explore content (new and old), help low levels, buff in PoK, etc... I'm constantly having fun in a relaxed atmosphere. For a casual player like me it works well.
    • Each class plays a bit different, but similar, on Agnarr. If you've always wanted to play a Ranger or Wizard, Agnarr might be a good option for you. Wizards have amazing rain spells, which do high damage and cost very little mana, which allows them to sustain damage much better than on P99. Ranger's, with their bow and AAs, get a huge dps increase. Monks are still awesome, but not as OP as on P99. I could go on, but there are other resources out there with differences. It's just a different dynamic in terms of grouping and classes. Focus effects also help a lot at both low and high levels.
    • The one big downside I see to Agnarr is the amount of flagging that needs to be done in PoP. It's a pain to get flagged these days. Flagging is needed to unlock certain zones at high level. Although some guilds do run through the flagging process, it's extremely difficult to find a PUG that will do it, even just the PoJ trials, which is the first step to flagging. I'd eventually like to see flagging removed from the server, but that may be a pipe dream.
    This post is already way too long, so I'm going to stop. Please feel free to reach out directly to me if needed. Also, if you do end up making a character post the name and we'll get you some help. Good luck!
    Corydon and Risiko like this.
  11. modsiw Augur

Ulfhedinn likes this.
  12. SunDrake Augur

Ulfhedinn did a really good job of laying out the pros and cons of both P99 and Agnarr, so I won't attempt to rehash what he said, but suffice to say that I agree with most everything he posted.

The primary difference for me is this: the process of getting to 60 [or 65] is more bustling on P99. They have been Velious locked for years, and the players just do it over and over and over again. There is a more healthy group scene to the top. Now, this: Agnarr is still way more fun, despite that. The quality of life changes can't be overlooked. I played on P99 from late 2009 until Coirnav launched. I still log in to P99 some to say hi to friends and check in on people, but vastly prefer time spent on Agnarr. I wasn't around for Agnarr's peak - I just leveled a character there when I was bored and had multiple maxed characters on Coirnav, so I am in your boat when it comes to only catching it after the fact. I got my first character into the 50s on Agnarr over a week played casually before or after raids. I think I used a Krono on that server to get my start, but my Monk was more well geared for 1-55 than you would ever dream of having on P99 without YEARS of play and platinum to fund the journey.

The only thing I'd mention that might swing this is that P99 is launching their long awaited Green Server in October. This has been 10 years in the making now. P99 is one server with 10 years of bloat. I fully believe the Green Server will be absolutely popping. So if you want in on something fresh with a vibrant, healthy population, and can wait that many months, then check back then.

A final caution: Once you get to 60, just stop there or otherwise enjoy small things about the game. The raid game there is absolutely garbage. If you still want to get 3 AM alerts that Venril Sathir has spawned, that might be your cup of tea, but for most people it's lol level absurd. [I raided all content for many years with various guilds, and would never recommend it.]
    Corydon likes this.
  13. SunDrake Augur

P99 also seems to have [at least at the top, or those who have been there forever] a lot more of that disgusting crowd that use terms like 'cuck' and other forms of.. I dunno who or what they are, internet troll culture? People that you'd not like to spend time with if you met them IRL.