I followed Truebox Rules --Why I'm an Idiot

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by trollmind, Apr 17, 2019.

1. trollmind New Member

Despite the sound of my name being trollish, this is a true post. If you want to learn the real dirt on why true box is a failure from a very experienced player who has played it from the ground up and pushed it to the limits, and not from the mindless plebs that speculate endlessly and ramble their nonsense on these forums, read on...

It's about how I followed the true box code and built my army up from the ground over several servers by purchasing refurbished laptops from newegg.

Consequently I have lots of laptops now. But I'm an idiot. Because several years later, the Truebox code is still copmletley broken.

A certain VM has worked despite claims that truebox disables VMs.

There's no reason to purchase physical machines to box. There are 24-30 boxers running around on Agnarr, Coirnav and now Mangler.

These players run all their accounts off of 1 very powerful machine or several VM dedicated machines.

Daybreaks message is very clear. They don't care. There's absolutely no effort by them for years now to fix the code or enforce it. They have never asked me for system files or proof of physical machines. I'm an idiot for purchasing all these physical machines. The smartest people at this point are boxing as many toons as they want using VM.

The #1 and ONLY thing Truebox was ever truly designed to do was REQUIRE you to play 1 account per REAL MACHINE. If it cannot even accomplish this, than it truly is a worthless piece of code. And anybody that knows anybody can find out how to bypass it using these ***** VMs (I won't name which VM accomplishes this on the forums, even though they will probably lock this post anyway because it's too close to the real truth) in the span of a 5 min conversation on discord with one of the 20% of people on Mangler now abusing the game by bypassing this 'supposed' physical machine requirement. It's an utter myth at this point.
  2. trollmind New Member

It's an utter myth at this point that true box code requires players to play 1 account per machine. Go learn how to launch said VM. Becausefor several years now they have made no effort to update the code and break this particular VM workaround. For several years they have not once required any of us to provide proof of physical machines either, since they cannot/will not make an effort to break the VM workaround to their failed code. The entire premise of 'truebox' is a myth at this point.
  3. trollmind New Member

do whatever you want. just don't try to create public awareness on official forums. that's about the only thing you cannot do at this point it seems
  4. trollmind New Member

No single thing in EQ right now would LIMIT boxing and REDUCE the amount of boxers appearing in EQ at this point than BREAKING THE VM and MAKING THE TRUEBOX CODE ACTUALLY DO WHAT IT IS INTENDED TO DO.

For all you kids ranting and rambling, none of you seem to understand this or talk about it in any intelligent or comprehensive way. None of you seem to really have a clear understanding of why the current truebox code hasn't stopped 6 box armies from rising up en masse. Over the course of several servers X talked to Y talked to Z, and now virtually anybody can talk to guild members, friends and other boxers and with a little effort discover the 'key' to bypassing the truebox myth.
  5. Aegir Augur

Yeah. VM's and Script Software.... That's how the experienced "true" boxers are working today.

They must be laughing at a former Guildie's set-up now - this was around PoP on Phinigel: https://imgur.com/gallery/uyb36

He was boxing legit, but eventually got banned for RMT services.
  6. Kibanu Augur

It's not as easy as you think to do. A server can be set up to run several Virtual Machines that aren't aware of each other as being Virtual Machines. The Operating System on each VM is independent and thinks it's a real physical PC. Basically, each VM can be set up to be like a laptop / PC on a local network. How do you really expect them to be able to code around this? The only way to at least slow it down would be to prevent packets from more than one client on a single IP address. Granted, most people that know how to set up a VM cluster can also set up network tunnels to get around this limitation as well. You won't stop the truly dedicated people from boxing. It sucks but it's the reality. P99 requires permission to run multiple clients from a single IP. That helps, but as you've probably read, it doesn't stop it entirely.

I run four separate computers at my house and I use Multiplicity because one of them has a malfunctioning keyboard. I never broadcast keystrokes (i.e. I switch control to laptop 2 and do whatever command, then switch back). If this were to get me banned, I'll leave because I feel that I'm playing within the "rules". I also spend way too much money buying experience potions to level my boxes all the time. If they ban me, I'll gladly take my money elsewhere. I do not pay for accounts with Krono. I also don't farm camps. I play on Coirnav still.

Anyhow, sorry... tangent there. There's no true way to stop the dedicated people who either know what they are doing or have friends that know what they are doing. :(

IMHO, they should police players and ban botters that way. They are pretty easy to spot and those people that are locking down camps and selling loot don't pay for their accounts with $$. They use Krono from farming in-game camps.
  7. Atabishii Elder

You are not an idiot for buying multiple pc's and boxing legit. A good legit 6 boxer will beat a 6 boxer running VM's every time. I'll take my 6 monitor mount/6pc setup over 1 pc and 5 vm's ANYDAY. There is a reason I'm known for never losing to other boxers and being the top dps'ing 6 boxer people have ever encountered on the TLP's, and it's because I did it legit. But hey, look where that got me though, doing it legit for so long before finally getting told by DBG that I'm never allowed to box again or get banned, and they definitely were not bluffing.

I know who this person is and he did not box legit, he used a broadcast software with VM's and has admitted this several times. That is a troll pic he put out to convince people like you that he didn't trust enough to tell exactly what he was doing, which should be pretty obvious considering every keyboard looks like they were just pulled out of a storage unit where they sat for years.

Just because you can't stop something entirely doesn't mean you shouldn't put effort in to stopping it. The majority of all murders, robberies, and assaults in high crime rate areas go unsolved. Should we just get rid of police because we can't catch 100%?

You fix the current VM workaround and that solves 95% of your VM problems. It took so long for this VM workaround to even become common public knowledge, that fixing it would at least you buy you another 2-3 years before the next workaround became common public knowledge.
    Volts likes this.
  8. Volts Elder

We can look back on history to help us judge current and future happenings.

Magefire and Boxjaw vs any True Box server. True Box works.

Sure a few will get through the cracks just like anything else. Just like Atabishii said, we don't make murder legal because some people don't follow the laws and do it anyway. Same with true box.

They just need to release a server with AoC and without Truebox. You all can have your fun, but I wouldn't touch it with a 10' pole!
  9. Kibanu Augur

FYI I wasn't defending the boxers that are circumventing the rules. I was just trying to explain to those that don't understand how VMs work and how difficult the ask is.
  10. Dre. Altoholic

None of this would matter if they just gave us fully private instancing already.
    Aneuren likes this.
  11. Onuxis New Member

Most people have no clue what a type 1 vs type 2 hypervisor is. Absolutely no way they can detect anything regarding Type 1 VM's when they are configured correctly. It's all about that PCI-passthrough
  12. Rentic Journeyman

They need to just stop the Truebox rules and let people box on 1 PC since its happening anyways and let the box army wars begin. All the Truebox is doing now is limited the normal players from being able to mass box with out buying a ton of machines and giving these guys a huge advantage on krono farming since its a limited amount who can do it. If people already cant see from the past Truebox TLPS the amount of boxers have increased because player 1 tells player 2 and then player 2 tells player 3 4 5 and so on, so its just going to end up like ragefire its just a matter of time
    PCSS, Kalipto and JBizzle like this.
  13. Kibanu Augur

Then you'll see 1-man raids everywhere. I've seen it on Ragefire / Lockjaw.
  14. Ruggar Lorekeeper

I am not sure this is the answer as of right now there is just a select group of people who box 5+ toons and yes I understand that most of them may be RTMers but if you think things are problematic now just wait till everyone and there cat can 5 box with ease.
  15. Rentic Journeyman

True but keep in mind Ragefire didn't have DZ and pick zones. Idk I think it would work out well and DBG would make more money. I know I would reactivate a lot of my acts if they did take away truebox and yes I know you could just do that on ragefire ect but I like to be where the population is and not on a server with 50 people boxing 6-12 toons, bring on the army wars! lol
  16. Ruggar Lorekeeper

Next progression server:

Non True Box
    Red Server (PVP)
    Can Loot 1 item off a player corpse
    FV Loot :)

Let the Great Box Wars Begin
  17. Elemenopi Augur

We'd need to see a cameo by Fansy the Famous Bard on that server, or it didnt serve its purpose. :p
    Agrippa likes this.
  18. HoodenShuklak Augur

Just like every beastlord would flock to a Luclin-launch server, right?

Last I checked, we still see the average 1-3 BST in a full raid.
  19. C3lowz Augur

So you're an idiot for following the rules and playing the game as it is supposed to be? Whilst you have people who are cheating and playing the game outside of how it is supposed to be played?

So you're saying we all should just cheat and hack in games or be deemed idiots?
  20. Fluid Augur

Three of my favorite MMPOG stories.

1) A guy who created an online game cheating hack made so much money selling it, he bought a house.
    2) One guy who used it had an entire closet filled top to bottom with computers running multiple instances of a game to mine loot he could sell online for cash. I saw a picture of his set up.
    3) At one time the amount of money to be made was so great, an entrepreneur<sic> actually hired workers in Tijuana to play the game because he could make a profit.

Oddly enough, I think the same type of people are really into mining Bitcoin now.