I've recovered my ancient account, so now what?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Winvarin, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Winvarin New Member

TLDR:
    Need to figure out what to salvage off my old main (and alts) and what to just chunk in the trash.

First of all, many thanks to Daybreak support. 17 years and 4 server merges after I last played EQ, they were able to reconnect me with my original account containing my (now) midlevel main (55 Pally) and the two lower level alts I had (39 Monk and 15 Ench).

Now to blow it all up. My memory of the last time I played EQ is that the Paladin was a mess to try to level. I was a casual player back then in a game when the grind was king. It was tough to keep up with friends while playing a hybrid. So I rolled a wizard last night (always wanted to play one but the Paladin took too much time).

My original main char (55 Pal) only had about 1500pp on him when I logged in last night. I combined that with the plat I'd given the two alts and still didn't break 2K. Which isn't horrible I guess. That, plus the improvements in the game since I left and the stack of /claim loot waiting for my legacy account should be enough to get a good start for what I am hoping to make my new main character (the wizard).

I may pick up the Paladin again at some point. But I was a little overwhelmed when I logged into him last night. There are a lot of quest items on him and in his bank for quests that I am not sure are even worth it anymore (looks like some of them may have been for the 2002 version of the Paladin epic quest). Same for his armor/weapons. I am sure the game has likely passed most of his gear by. I'm just not sure whether it's worth trying to figure all of that out when I pick him up again. Or just strip him bare, sell what is sellable, then buy some Defiant and go from there.

There's not a huge rush to do anything with him. For now, the plan is to just use what little cash he has to help the wizard level as fast as I can. But at some point, I figure I will need to decide to do with the quest items and gear I have on both the paladin and monk. The chanter doesn't have much on him to speak of as he's only 15.

Any ideas from any of you who are returning players would be helpful. Thanks
    Fallfyres likes this.
  2. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

Don't touch any of your toons. Just leave them as cool little time capsules. Start your new guy, play through the whole tutorial. Roll a 2nd guy and do it again.

After that, decide if new eq is what your after, or if you want that older nostalgia hit. If the later, pay 15 bucks and roll a ton on Manger.
    CatsPaws likes this.
  3. Scorrpio Augur

Start new char, play tutorial. It will explain a number of new mechanics, like mercs.

Do sub with your acoount, at least for a month. Be sure to claim /veteran - you will have lots of handy abilities there. But claim it on chars you plan to PLAY.

Check your inventory currencies tab. You will likely have a ton of loyalty crowns - like 5700. Loyalty vendor in PoK will sell stuff for them. There is usually a 16-slot, 100% WR container there as well as 'bags of plat'. I think you must be on a subbed account though. Those bags have about 15k plat, whuch should get you rolling nicely.

Any gear you might have is completely obsoleted by the new 'defiant' gear that comes in varieties from Crude to Elegant. At 55 you should be going for either Flawed (37-50) or Intricate (48-60). Defiant gear drops in any zone from level appropriate mobs, and is tradeable, so you can check bazaar.
    Be sure to enable auto-grant in AA panel. (You might need to camp out/in after that)

Defiant covers visibles and shield/weapons/bows/charms.
    Belt/cloak/shoulders you get by taking tasks from Frankin Teek in PoK. And jewelry (face/neck/fingers/ears) is on vendor in PoK next to Loyalty vendor.

Do keed stuff for your epic, it us still very satisfactory to finish it.
    Being a paladin, once you get some defiant, and with a healer merc, leveling can be much faster. If you just take Teek's lvl 55,50 and 45 tasks, that alone can net close to a level. Targets alternate, this week lvl 50 was chromadracs in Skyfire. I HATE THOSE. I am actually slow levelingvan SK alt for fun these days, just hit 50.
  4. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Don't worry about plat or spells. The plat that drops off mobs keeps up with the cost of spells which you can buy in POK now. Once you hit level 20 then start doing the daily hot zones - those give armor, plat and exp.
    Good quest is Guild and Guild Halls given by the lady who is by the Cresent reach stone in pok - although your wizzy can port that quest will give you access to an in game guild for use of the guild ports there.

There is too much to learn right off the bat, I would say not to try and clean up the old guys yet. Not hurting anything just leaving them there while you have fun on the wizzy.

I would not sub right off the bat.
  5. Zakalis New Member

Thanks for all of the responses. This is still Winvarin. Although the forums made me switch my login when I transitioned over to my old account. I am going to do as most of you recommend. Leave my old characters with most of their gear intact for now. The wizard is a lot of fun for the time being. And the handful of plat left on my old toons is really making it easier to keep the Wiz fed, in spells and healthy