PvP flagging shouldn't isolate players

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Ginix, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Ginix Augur

So a few of us boys over on Selos TLP that enjoy PvP decided to try to make a PvP guild.

The main turn off people seem to have about turning their PvP flag on though is this out dated PvP system that is in place, which literally isolates anyone that decided to even try it. I see no reason a red (PvP flagged) character shouldn't be able to buff/port/heal a blue (non-flagged character) and it really makes it so people are unwilling to even try.

I think if you devs lifted the limitations on interacting between red and blue that a lot more people would be willing to give PvP a try. At least consider this since making a straight PvP TLP seems to be out of the question.

Thanks
    Boze likes this.
  2. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

If time to implement is > 0, I'm guessing your out of luck on all things pvp. That realized I would love to see casual pvp be a thing.
  3. Ginix Augur

Yeah, figured as much. Thought it would be worth at least bringing up in the off chance its something easy they can just flip on so reds & blues can still interact and play together. The isolation is too much for non-boxers sadly.
  4. Wanuven Lorekeeper

I could be wrong, but I imagine the whole reason there is a separation of red/blue in terms of buffs, heals, et al has to do with a PVP fight where someone is receiving heals from a toon who cannot be touched because they aren't red.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  5. Ginix Augur

That's what I had thought at first but this can already be done among PvP flagged players as is.

Since the outdated system has +/- 4 level gap to attack other PvP flagged toons you can already heal/buff people above or below your level gap and not be attack by the people attacking them. All this does is isolate anyone that even tries to flag PvP from interacting with blue players.

I get it if they dont wan't to try a PvP server but hope for some type of response at the very least if this fix can be set in place easily so casual PvP can be a thing.
  6. code-zero Augur

You can buff them in any arena zone
  7. Efwan Journeyman

That would be great, but something that might be even easier is just adding a way to toggle it on/off. Priest of Discord should be able to turn you back blue whenever you want to group with blue friends or get ports etc then have the option to flag when you want to try to pvp
    Ginix likes this.
  8. Smokezz The Bane Crew

What's a Selos? What's a TLP? Never heard of these things... OH! You have your own forum...
    svann and Slippry like this.
  9. Tatanka Joe Schmo

It's not a TLP issue. Duh.

Efwan's suggestion makes sense. However, another idea, which doesn't depend on a code change.... roll another char. One can be PvP, one can be blue. I'd rather see a switch, but even if they like the idea, it'll likely never see the light of day.
    Kaenneth and Ginix like this.
  10. smash Augur

The answer to that is a clearly NO, NO.

Why? Because it is way too easy to exploit/abuse.

Example... I have pvp on, and I see a person, who looks like easy victim, and and been irritated on that person, so I go kill personn a few times. Now that person brings a friend, I run to discord and become blue. Cheating the person for revenge, his friends leave and I turn pvp on again, and repeat the kill. So I can continue to do, unless a person reports for harasment.

Basically when you become a bandit, you do not get an out of jail card for free, but pay for the crime, here you stay pvp on.

Oh there could be made some system of becoming blue again, but it would not something you can controll directly, you could become blue when you have not participated in any form of pvp after say 30 days.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Yinla like this.
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That is easy enough to get around by have mechanics that prevent you from flipping between pvp and pve as often as you want.
  12. svann Augur

PVP on blue servers has been dead for 20 years.
    It just never worked, and quick fixes wont make it work.
    Just roll on a pvp server if you want pvp.
    Or ask for a pvp progression server if thats what you want.
    You are not going to get red on blue.
  13. Ginix Augur

We are slowly getting people to come try red on a blue server so not sure why you're saying it can't be a thing.

Would be nice if we could interact with blue players as I see no reason we shouldn't be able to but we'll make it work regardless. Just figured I'd post in here and maybe a dev could make a dream come true. xD
  14. Bigstomp Augur

I believe you can be buffed in group and stuff like that. (not positive)
  15. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

You can't, any beneficial spell from a blue player is blocked, grouped or not. Even port spells are blocked.
  16. Scorrpio Augur

If you can bring a higher levelled red player to buff/heal you, the other party can bring their high levels to kill your helper off.

The only potential exception I can see is everyone becomes blue in instances (HAs, missions, raids).
    Open world, the moment you let blues help reds, it will be exploit hell.
    Yinla likes this.
  17. smash Augur

If you wanna be pvp, then go on the server where it is, but problem is, they can probably do pvp better than you...

I do not see any reason for trying to implement something that is a dead duck.

As Scorrpio says it will be exploit hell. You might say you do not exploit, but history has show time and time and time again, if there is the slightest loophole, in some coding, then it will be abused.

I will be a lot on that if something is implemented, the time for it to be exploited will be less than 6 hours
  18. Derresh Augur

a small 15-30minute quest to turn your name back to blue with a lockout of like 1 week would probably be enough to prevent abuse.
  19. smash Augur

Still abusuable!

Atm, if dont allow you to turn back to blue, as it should, with this you just go anon, stay away from person for 15-30 min and then you avoid the person.
  20. Ginix Augur

Modern MMOs don't punish you for playing PvP flagged and I see no reason why Everquest cant adapt with the times and let players interested in PvP try it out without basically making their character unplayable with non-PvP boys when they see fit.

Not sure what you're ranting about with all this exploit talk though. Turning PvP on and off easily would be a perfect fix if it can only be done in an netural zone like PoK/Nexus with a short cool down like swapping out mercs has.