TLP Shaman Vs. Cleric

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Gladdius, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Iyacc Augur

Don't forget that once Velious drops the cleric can work in a pants-right click every once in a while.
  2. Kloodge Elder

If you left click your pants, it feels like someone else.
    Iyacc and Fallfyres like this.
  3. Stagentti Augur

In reality people choose clerics as the best solo group healer because the vast majority of shamans cannot/don't do what you're describing (unfortunately the vast majority are in the bucket of the first part of your comment).

So in theory you may be right, but not in practice. People don't want to roll the dice to see what type of shaman they get, with regards to healing.

Which is why clerics get groups so easily and people recommend cleric if you wanna heal and get groups easily.
  4. ShivanAngel Augur

True but saying “shaman have mana problems” and “shaman are bad in classic” is horribly innacurate...

Just because most people dont play the class right doesnt make those things true. A proper assessment would be “most people dobt know how to play a shaman properly in classic, so in groups some people have issue with them, however played properly they are the strongest group gealer in the game.

Just had to point out the origibal post i quoted was completely innacurate, as are a lot of things on these forums posted by idiots that dont know/understand how a class works.
  5. Gladdius Journeyman

I do not consider myself an amazing Shaman, but I can usually keep a group up with no issues. But I'll admit my cannidance kung fu is weak. Anyone got a link to a guide? Or good explanation how to do it properly? And effectively?
  6. ShivanAngel Augur

It just takes practice, you watch for the “server tick” when your mana and hp regen. Wait about 1/2-1 second for latency, hit canni, then immediately sit back down. Repeat jntil you hate yourself.

Becomes trivial once you get mounts
  7. Stagentti Augur

I got ya now. Apologize for my reply being pretty off base from your point.

That being said - definitely agree with your assessment of the class and how people play it.
  8. a_librarian Augur

charm pets are absolutely terrible tanks.
    Trey and Koshk like this.
  9. Ulain Journeyman

Probably getting off topic but how do you properly canni-dance? I'm aware of tics, but seems like everytime I wait for the tic to regen, then move/cast/etc it REMOVES the regen tic I just got. Is the server time not a good indicator anymore?
  10. ShivanAngel Augur

The best way to heal a charm tank is break it, mez, then mem blur for starters. Also not every group runs with a chanter 24/7 charming so there is that. Sure if you want to power through with charm pets go for it... sayong someone doesnt know how to make a group cause they choose to not use charm pets is lolworthy.

So yes, in that one situation I would say a cleric is better...

Also ch is 7.5k not 10k. Its also 400 mana not 350.... an embarressing comment.

Again if you have mana problems on a shaman you are doing something very wrong.
  11. Koshk Augur

I'll strongly disagree. The best tank will always be a player.
    • Someone who can position mobs correctly, especially not parking them on top of casters.
    • Will move away from rooted mobs, to avoid taking unnecessary hits.
    • Aggro what matters, ignore what doesn't matter.
    • Can break aggro when appropriate (which a charm pet can never do).
    • Taunt/stun/debuff a mob that is mezzed, to pre-build aggro (again, charmed pets can't do that)
    • Never turns around randomly and begins attacking its own group.
    I can probably think of more, but you get the idea.

That's not to say charmed pets are not awesome. They absolutely are. But they will never be the best tank, compared to an experienced player.

Finally, I've never seen an 11k hit point charmed mob (edit: in Classic). I don't doubt they exist. But from what expansion were you referring to?
    Vinlail likes this.
  12. ShivanAngel Augur

Probly planar mobs and pretty sure mud golems in the hole can get that high
  13. Machentoo Augur

The key is timing it so you are sitting on the server tic. The server tic isn't always synched up with the client's representation of it. Just because you see your mana go up, doesn't mean it actually did on the server, especially if you haven't cast for a while. There is a rhythm to it. On normal move/cast it is hard to time it, but casting resynchs the client timer so if you canni at the right time in between each server tick, your client will show your mana tick up in synch with when it actually does on the server.
    Ulain likes this.
  14. Yukface New Member

man this thread made my lunch go by quick...#noiwasnteatingpopcorn

but for the record...that enchanter guy who wants to tank, dps, control heals and basically run the group... should just go solo.. and leave the grouping to us peons. atleast that my 2cp.

Yes I will take the shaman healer, who is glad he got a group vs the cleric who thinks you are lucky to have him every single time. If he doesnt know how to canni dance... i dont really gaf. you know why?.. because its a GAME!!
    a really old game... take your elitist epeen to a NEW GAME...
    silly rabbits.
  15. Aegir Augur

Shamans only get more fun. I'd pick a Shaman if I were to start again in Velious. They are a buffing nightmare in classic. (Should really just make a unity line that goes backwards into classic at this point imo).

Clerics in Velious are pretty simple. Click Group Heal legs or CH. Heck I even grouped with a Cleric in upper Velks that openly said he was going to watch netflix while having an auto-clicker on his legs. Kept the group going for hours, lol. Clerics starts to get fun again around GoD and onwards....
    Starr likes this.