Considering cleric for mangler need feedback.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by FL!P, Mar 13, 2019.

1. FL!P Augur

Hey guys! Title pretty much sums it up. My situation is as follows.

I know the leveling paths, traveling and the game overall very well, however, I know nothing about all the possible quests in classic and kunark.

I am currently full time in school, so my playtime usually comes in random sporadic timeframes, so I don't have large windows of playtime to LFG for an hour, or piece together several failing groups because ppl either don't know how to get somewhere or just suck in general. That said I can still get a good amount of playtime in each day.

SO, I am considering rolling a cleric on mangler, I have never played the class so it would be something new. And I should get groups pretty easy right? I have tanked for most of my EQ career, (played on and off since kunark) so I should have an idea of what the tanks needs and when they need it i suppose.

Basically, I want to easily get groups, and make some money along the way. I don't really care to make a mage or necro and try to camp things, don't have the time and honestly just don't know the mobs or where to go for what basically.

So all in all, I want to get in some groups, enjoy some content with decent players. Which I guess is really what we all want lol. Anyway, any feedback from some of you clerics out there would be much appreciated. Any feedback on the pros or cons you might have experienced would be great!
    Thanks!
    Flip
  2. Lumiens Augur

The ultimate class for achieving what you are saying is enchanter. People will literally beg you to join their groups, even if you are already in one.
  3. FL!P Augur

I thought the TLP were flooded with chanters though? Or maybe it just felt like it to me the passed few times.
  4. Montag Augur

Cleric and enchanter are both great choices, but be prepared for groups to be annoyed when you leave and can't find your own replacement. Shaman is also really good, similar desirability but, like enchanter, more able to solo when time is really limited.
  5. Stagentti Augur

I love playing a cleric. It is the only class I've mained on TLPs.

Pro: getting groups is easy. Folks say you never have to wait but that isn't true. There's always random times where groups are full, that's life. But it's definitely easier than the other classes.

Con: not always enough clerics logged in lol. So if you gotta leave finding a rep can be rough especially non peak times.

To combat that I try to give at least 15 minute heads up and tell group I'm looking but also appreciate others looking too. That way if I have to leave with no rep I'm not a jerk: I don't think it's fair to hate someone who spent over 15 minutes looking for a rep.

Also when you look for a rep, if there is multiple, try to pick the same people every time. I've done that for people who in turn message me when they need a rep. Kindness repays kindness and lowers LFG time.

If you're going to heal you need to be OK letting people have an earful when needed. People breaking mez? Not assisting? Just letting you get beat on for an hour before they help? Gotta not be afraid to be the bad guy. There's a difference between that and being an a$$hole. But if you don't say things your life is going to be miserable trying to keep the group alive.

Pro? Once you hit 50 and log on and maybe don't have enough time to group you can make 1,000,000 friends by just going into each LGuk pick and offering 90% rezzes. Sometimes can make good money (I've had people send tells for a rez offering 100pp).

Good luck!
  6. FL!P Augur

Awesome I really appreciate the feedback!
    It's sadly a real difficult decision lol. I come back to EQ for the hype and love the game and it's progression system. but find i never really found a class i absolutely enjoyed that held me.

Was hoping to use something like cleric to just get into the game heal some people until i find a guild i enjoy. Then progress through some expansions and acquire some plat i guess. That way if I decide to play a class in particular i can gear it during luclin/pop when alot of items open up.
  7. Stagentti Augur

Cleric works for what you want. Good gear helps but you can heal just fine with random stuff you pick up grouping.

I always use my cleric as a cash cow for alts.

Gets you into the highly valuable loot groups cause people always need a cleric, razzing donations, not having to spend much on your own gear, etc.
  8. FL!P Augur

oh yea and another question I just thought of is... How are clerics vs enchanters raiding? i ultimately would like to eventually. I have always heard of lack of clerics but never really enchanters. though enc playstyle looks pretty fun.
  9. Heloisa New Member

This x 100 lol

Playing a Cleric you usually won't have issues finding a group (even better make your own!). Finding a rep can be tough sometimes so make sure you join the /cleric channel. I'll usually give the group a 1 hour heads up to when I need to log and usually start asking for a rep a good 30 minutes before logging.

Far as raiding. You (Cleric) are the lifeblood of any raid guild.
  10. Bewts Augur

Raiding on a cleric early in TLP comes down to:
    1. Can you count to 3 and press a button?
    2. Can you do that consistently for a few hours a night?
    3. How many months can you do that before burning out?

If you can do that, you can raid on a cleric through at least Luclin and most of PoP. Obviously there’s a few encounters where you don’t do that but probably 98% of the time the raid relies on you to do #1 and #2.

And if you can’t do that, play a Druid.
  11. HoodenShuklak Augur

You left off arguably the most challenging part for some people... can you effectively create a CH hotkey. Invariably, this will slow down 10/10 raids with new clerics.
  12. Grailer Augur

Now for the reality .

For xp groups you can duo with just a shaman and a shadow knight . Notice no enchanters or clerics in that duo .

Now in that xp group I could then add 4 mages or monks for dps . Notice I never said add a cleric or enchanter .

The only time I need cleric is when I need a res but I don't ever intended to die because I have SOW and SK has feign death.

Raids on the other hands , clerics are needed for complete heal on warrior .
  13. Stagentti Augur

You're saying you won't die cause you got SOW and FD.

I'm not sure how SOW keeps your group from dying at all, let alone in a dungeon like LGuk.

Unless you're saying YOU won't need a rez on your SK or Shaman because of SOW and FD. Though again not sure how SOW is saving you and then do you just not care if rest of group dies lol?

SK, shaman, 4 mages/monks?

Ya...that group is definitely going to die sometimes.
  14. FL!P Augur

what do druids do in raid? port then drop memes in chat till loot is passed out?
  15. Nuther Augur

A cleric is much more useful in raids.
  16. Nuther Augur

Druids have 3 dots and the third best nuke. Tons of damage.
  17. FL!P Augur

Really good responses on this thread, I really appreciate the feedback you guys are sending me.
  18. Maxe Augur

Great feedback. I will say, I've played cleric and enchanter swapping mains on most of the TLPs. I am having a hard time doing cleric any more though, I hate complete healing rotations and a ridiculously large number of players think they're the only way to go, so I will likely go enchanter. Here's the thing - enchanters buff before bossfights and during the only real useful things you can do is keep rune on the heals and spam it on the tank if heals are lacking or especially during rampage. Either way you're going to be bored. The two most essential raid classes are incredibly boring. Enchanters can't charm anything for most boss fights. Those fights you can, the raid probably won't let you. As soon as kunark hits, get your enchanter a pre Nerf fungi staff. This and a bandage skill will allow you to solo quite efficiently.
  19. Maxe Augur

See you guys soon. I bought a crap laptop and am dusting off my old amd beast with a 9590 for Saturday
  20. HoodenShuklak Augur

Save most of their mana for healing, po9 buff, and occasionally drop a nuke "because they can."

In my experience, they never even use their debuffs.