Server Stability at Launch

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Kunfo, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Kunfo Augur

I want to preface this question by saying I have very limited if any technical knowledge of my own about running servers, so apologies in advance if this question/request makes no sense.

Is there anything Daybreak is planning on doing (or can do) to strengthen the servers or make them more stable, increase capacity etc. for launch day on Mangler/Selo? I remember Agnarr launch being a nightmare taking 3 hours for my 2 brothers and I to get our 6 accounts in game and playing without zones crashing.

I know having extra server capacity (if that's a thing) would help Daybreak make lots more money on launch day as there will be people buying more xp and mana pots on more accounts sooner, and less people getting frustrated and logging off. So, just wondering if anything is being done this go-around?

Also, I don't think the Lockjaw/overflow server solution is ideal, as if I remember correctly there was a lag between the launches and Lockjaw ended up being very sparsely populated...more just wondering if Daybreak could increase capacity of one server.
  2. Thewiz Augur

It will be difficult to log in and/or zone for several hours if past TLP launch experience serves correctly. I do remember coirnav launch being a bit better than the previous TLP launches. Perhaps some more improvements have been made since then.
  3. Stagentti Augur

During the Agnarr mess they implemented login/queue improvements on the fly that once initiated started clearing things up.

Also adjusted the maximum population and slowly increased it.

Both of those lead to less crashing. Still took a while to get in but was more stable.

Imagine they've tweaked those further so I've got my fingers crossed.
  4. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

I dunno how well the latter part of this answer actually works, but their TLP FAQ has this:

Q: How will you be handling so many players? What is /Pickzone?

Zones now have a form of load-balancing that can spawn another version of a zone when the current zone gets too full.

Once those zones reach a certain threshold of players (it varies based on the size of the zone), it will spawn another version of itself. You will be able to choose which version of the zone you want to enter upon zoning in, or you will be able to use the /pickzone command to choose another version of the zone you are in. This should let people group up with friends but still be able to find things to kill and see plenty of other players.

We have also enabled technology to dynamically increase the maximum number of characters allowable on a server at any given time. Between these two new systems, we expect to be able to handle most of the players who want to play on the new server on the first day.
  5. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

We have some login server/queue improvements this time around, but still expect the login server itself to be where most of the problems will come from.
    Yinla and Thewiz like this.
  6. orionfox Lorekeeper

If I understand you correctly, the best option would be to log in early, play on another server and change when the server opens? :D
    Accipiter likes this.
  7. yerm Augur

To add to the above, is there anything we as players can do to be more efficient? Eg, if we log in hours beforehand should we sit on another server or does that actually tax it versus it being helpful to sit in chat and that removes one process? Does logging from game to char select tax the server the way we assume going server menu to specific server does?
    orionfox likes this.
  8. Protagonist Tank

Going to the server select screen always hits the login server. You won't be any better off than someone trying to log in fresh.
  9. Garrison Journeyman

I expect the login server will die several times.
  10. orionfox Lorekeeper

So sit at server select screen in one window for a few hours and play in another. Got it.
  11. Accipiter Old Timer

It'll time out... but I like where you're going with this.
    orionfox likes this.
  12. Accipiter Old Timer

It should, yeah. Actually, you could just keep going to the same server every X minutes. I don't know what the timeout interval is but you could test that. It's probably 15 minutes or more.

OTOH if it actually hits the login server every time you go to the server select (and I don't know that it does) then it won't really matter what you do.
  13. Gana Augur

I understood this to mean that he would just toggle between servers on the Server Select screen without actually logging in to either of them...just as a "keep alive" for the session.
  14. Ilshade Augur

all

it is not just the log in part
    plan you game time with less zoning - from what i remember you sometime got kicked while zoning, also you could get locked for the few minutes until the server drops you character who is still zoning server side
    if this helps at all research your starting area with as few zone as possible ot you will be more frusted after finally loging in :)

I feel sorry for Dark Elfs so many zones just to get out, best to attack an npc die and get tped to newbie land
  15. Protagonist Tank

You don't lose XP until level 6 and you never lose items. Suicide to the newbie yard after turning in your guild note. Suicide when you get low on mana or health. There's literally no reason to not do that for any race or class.
  16. Accipiter Old Timer

Ah. Maybe that would work.
  17. Neldarion Lorekeeper

Is the "Server Select Timeout" something that can be disabled temporarily for like 24 hours? That would avoid a huge amount of login issue's.
  18. Garrison Journeyman

Obviously, not enough "improvement" in the improvements.
  19. Evade Augur

20. Ranza Mortia New Member

I dont know how many Progression servers i have played on during the years, or login after patch days.
    This is always a challange, in this game and in other games.
    But with exprience and age comes wisdom. So I watch some streaming series on one screen, while i try to login on the other screen. Only question is if I will be finished with all the first 7 seasons of GoT before I get to play or not.
    Fallfyres likes this.