Players don't know what they want. Don't change Selos DBG.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Phinius, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Mr Nobody Elder

I am gonna keep pounding the FV loot drum until it is clear it is not gonna happen. As long as there is a chance I will advocate for it. But no more after this year. You won't see me back next year asking for it again....I won't be back. I know I know...no one cares...I get it.
  2. yerm Augur

You want to level up to the maximum including aas, and then key for and raid all the content, all within the era and not after level or gear increases that follow? What in the world is casual about this? Your ambitions are almost as hardcore as it gets, the only way to be MORE hardcore than you is to also want to do it faster than others.

You are not a casual. No matter how long it's been or little your playtime you are not. You are a hardcore player with limited playtime. Whats worse, since you have been away so long, you probably also don't realize how much the playerbase wanes and returns at the start and end of expansions, or how much burnout hits in later kunark and pop. You are very literally the exact type the OP named this thread about. Give selos a chsnce with monthly lockouts (like combine had) and be open to the possibility you will love it.
    ch0rny, Thalliius and code-zero like this.
  3. taliefer Augur

i dont understand the whole "you guys dont really want long unlocks" argument

the only TLP servers with long unlocks was ragefire and lockjaw, and those "failed" for a variety of reasons, of which long unlocks i would put last. lack of instanced raids and mass boxing are the main reasons people fled to phinigel when it launched. i rarely hear anyone say they left rage/lock solely due to the longer times in expansions.

also, LoY doesnt have its own unlock timer anymore, so you have 2 months in PoP, not 3. maybe thats better, maybe thats worse.

i do think 12 weeks has worked pretty well, although i personally would prefer 16. id rather have some parts of eq "lull" than move too fast.

i think Selos is a fine ruleset on its own, but it most definitely is NOT a casual server.
  4. Bolten_DA Augur

I tell myself this every year! @#@@$@ you Everquest and your power to keep me playing after all these years!
    Yonson likes this.
  5. Ceffener Augur

I have no desire to ultra-casually do in 4 weeks what we used to do in a year. Selos may be fine for the racers, probably should leave it.

But give us the promised ultra-casual server.
  6. Ltldogg Augur

Selo is not casual IMO. Give me something with long unlocks, old zones, etc. I don't even mind you starting with Classic + RoK + SoV to spread out the population, with higher xp rates, higher rates of spawns for rares and named, but the unlocks have to be long. You are catering towards casuals, so cater towards casuals, not people who play 12 hours a day, want to race, etc.
    Evade likes this.
  7. Dmitry Elder

I agree but having been in eat the content guilds the last three TLPs the three month unlock was too slow. I personally also like the idea of getting to content i have never played.
  8. code-zero Augur

A server where the unlocks are so long that players can do EVERYTHING in era with multiple alts isn't casual at all, more like OCD.
    Thalliius and TheRedBandit like this.
  9. Mashef Augur

The vitriol for selo is still real. The two hardcore guilds just got their people to login and start posting. At least 90% of people still hate this server. You ha e what is known as a vocal minority. The majority already unsubbed and logged out it's so bad.
  10. code-zero Augur

That's truly amazing, where did you get those statistics?
    Renshu likes this.
  11. Phinius Elder

So many people are way too focused on the casual vs hardcore tags. They should really just drop them altogether. Play on the server that most appeals to you based on the ruleset, not some arbitrary playstyle tag.

Selo offers a great chance for casual players and hardcore players alike to have a very enjoyable EQ TLP experience. LET'S GO!
    Thalliius, Renshu and Grogak like this.
  12. FIsh Lips Augur

You make getting out of bed each morning sound pretty hardcore. You casuals want to get out of bed each morning and brush your teeth, and go to work, and come home, and cook dinner, and play video games too. That's hardcore!

We are gamers, we play the game to achieve synthetic objectives. Having objectives does not make us hardcore. Hardcore is about how much time and effort you put in to obtain them. Casuals might give up on objectives, but each time we do we are also giving up on the game to one degree or another. At some point, we stop playing.

Many hardcore players do not max all (or any) of their TSes, max out all their gear slots, max out their AAs, etc. They are often very judicious about what they spend time on, to ensure they are #1 on whatever metric they care about. Many of them min-max their characters to ensure they achieve the meta-victory. Others will absolutely put in huge amounts of time to doing all of the above, grinding away for hours upon hours.

Casuals might do any of those behaviors above, but aren't willing to suffer for it as much and are willing to put the game aside after their game time budget expires, or when they get bored of doing that thing too many times. What casuals cannot ever get, is the bragging rights that hardcores will get, for accomplishing the same objectives. Our objectives are met, but our achievements are lesser.
  13. Phinius Elder

Check out Mangler, it's gonna be POPPIN!

Lawl, nope. No one wants to play on slow lockout casual servers. BYE!
  14. FIsh Lips Augur

I do not hate the server. But it is not the ultra casual server we were promised. I do not see that server anywhere. I see two different hardcore servers.

Of the two, Selo's is by far, the strongest, it's just not for me.
  15. Sethiroth Augur

The only people who don’t want selos unlock changing are the hardcore raid crowd. It’s supposed to be an “ultra casual” server.

The whole thing is a pi$$ take tbh.
  16. Sethiroth Augur

Here’s how it will play out: the hardcore raiders will smash it and have a great time and the rest will unsubscribe because if they wanted to be constantly behind the curve they can go f2p on the live servers /shrug
  17. Trevalon Augur

Something new? OH You must be new here? This unlock schedule isnt new buddy we have done it before and it was terrible back then and would be terrible now.

lol, the ignorance of this post is phenomenal!
  18. Ceffener Augur

No one wants to play on a slow lockout with horrible XP. Seems you missed that part.

DBG is the one who promised an “ultra-casual” server, they should actually deliver.
    Sethiroth likes this.
  19. Sethiroth Augur

Neither. That’s the answer. Neither appeal. From a casual players perspective, both are utter garbage. Both are fatally flawed.
  20. QuasiGnome Journeyman

I don't think someone with a casual play schedule can keep up with 4 week unlocks. It's more of a hardcore playground. All good if that's what you want, but it's not casual.
    Sethiroth likes this.