Selos 100% misses the point of being a casual server

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by hoovadalewt, Feb 12, 2019.

1. hoovadalewt Elder

The remove keying would have been a great idea, but I still say 3 months is probably the sweet spot.

1 month is just ridiculous. I actually think the current devs just don't understand the 'specuial sauce' of what makes EQ work.
  2. chumpy New Member

Yep. TLPs always burn out, it will be interesting to see if this server avoids that.

I don't agree the ultra-casuals will or should care that much about the raid unlock schedule. If all you care about is completing every raid and getting BIS gear before the next release, you might not be a casual (let alone ultra-casual!)

P.S. polls show 100% of people want FV rules, it is known.
  3. TheRedBandit Elder

This is exactly why i'm excited. I played on Combine as my first TLP and when i first played hardcore hours (never was a raider). Theres so much i want to show my wife when it's in era but i always burn out and so does a lot of the community that made it so much fun the first time. It's weird to me how many "casuals" are obsessed with not being able to be fully raid geared, as if that was ever casual.
  4. Koshk Augur

So, if you roll on Selos. You have 6.5 weeks to prepare for raiding the Planes on May 1st. Ideally you'll need to level to 60. Obtain wealth. Acquire gear will cut it. Get all your spells, if appropriate. Complete epic, if possible. Level your trade skills. Get keyed for various places. Find a guild, make friends. And since you're "casual", you probably only raid once a week on Saturday. If you're lucky, you'll get in 4 raids before PoP.

This is either the most-hardcore server ever...
    ...or...
    It's a server whose entire point is to just mess around. Not raiding, not completing quests, not gearing up. Just putz around leveling. And watching expansions just zing by until you catch up with Live.

In which case, why bother? Why not login to Live server right now, and roll a Level 1 character?

I don't get the point of this server at all.
  5. TheRedBandit Elder

I do not want FV loot. I think raid gear should be earned and not bought, and group gear should be what sells.
  6. ManglerSelo New Member

Just look at which server the most hardcore of guilds are planning on playing on -- Selo.

Casual indeed...
  7. Ambee Elder

Change it to 2 month unlocks and everyone will be happy.
  8. Kruggan_Darkblood Lorekeeper

I respect that. I also believe you are in the vast minority.
  9. Quill Augur

And... now we have a Krono for loot rights market.
    Tyrs likes this.
  10. Dilf Augur

Raiding 4 hours a night x 3 days (or 3h x 4d, etc) is far from casual.
    andross77, snailish and Tyrs like this.
  11. TheRedBandit Elder

Yeah, i think i probably am too, haha. I'm not playing the "well i'll take my sub and go home" crap though, i'd still play an FV loot server.
    Kruggan_Darkblood likes this.
  12. TimeBreak Elder

Think Trilogy would have been better than Luclin launch, but that's forgivable. 1 month unlocks is rough though. I agree change to 2 months unlocks and everything else I think sorts itself out.
    Barton and Renshu like this.
  13. Polekn Augur

1 months unlock if fine till like SoF when raids start being challenging and require some gear. If they added a requirement to win content for 1 month unlock and make it up to 2 month or whenever content is defeated it would make a perfect hardcore server.
  14. Koshk Augur

I agree, Quill. But how to solve?
    • With no-trade, people camp. And then ask for krono/platinum for loot rights.
    • With FV rules, people camp. And then sell loot for krono/platinum.
    Only way I can think? Allowing pick zones to be opened by just 1 group. Then it wouldn't matter what the campers are doing. Grab your friends, and go after whatever you want.

But of course, it's all theoretical now.
  15. Mashef Augur

If selo was 2 or 3 month unlocks it's close to perfect to quickly cruise through early content.

Mangle is somehow worse than Coirnav.
    Barton and Renshu like this.
  16. Quill Augur

Solve it? By having FT loot. I've been a strong proponent of that.
  17. snailish Augur

Daybreak doesn't share the data with us, but it is flawed --mixing of variables.

Ragefire and Lockjaw had box army drama and voting. Two huge deterrents to the casual playtime + casual goals crowd, and a complete turn off to the classicists.

Determining that long unlocks = bad based on that is kind of silly. Long unlocks obviously don't appeal to the semi-serious to serious raiding population. Plus both servers have had productive lives and are still going.

I don't know if there are enough classicists (people that only play in classic, only play till Velious, etc.) to justify a ruleset aimed just for them, and maybe there is some sort of deal with P99... but a Phinny with better XP and at least the 6 month unlocks would have been a solid way to test the hypothesis. One that made a lot of sense as a 20th anniversary look back kind of thing.
  18. Kruggan_Darkblood Lorekeeper

Well spoken - this is where I am. I just don't see the point as a casual player.
  19. Gana Augur

I would say that even casually, in Luclin starting with even faster xp, leveling to 60 should take (in a group) maybe 2 weeks? Gives you a month to do the rest of it. The hardcores are going to plow to 60 in a day or so...maybe 8 hours (xp pots available?). Hell, your first xp session should net 22+ just in Paludal! Then Guk/SolA-B/Neth Lair...CoM/AC...GE/HS/Hole/etc. That is 60 right there...and there is probably a faster route. This is just easy to do because there will be people there to group with...and you don't have to dodge/train Gorenaire on people!

Need to stop confusing the terms "casual" with "lazy".
  20. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Perhaps you need to get some real numbers in there.
    LOL 8 hours to 60

Agnaar had the best experience and was 100 - 120 hours to 50, roughly the same for 51 to 60
    Double the experience and it's still 100 - 120 hours to 60
    Take into account some better leveling zones and you are down to 100 hours to 60

Most casual people playing 20 hours or less a week are mucked on a 1 month expansion cycle.

Not even talking about gear, keys or anything else that encompasses EQ.
    And this assumes min / max mode, something most casual people never do.