An actual Ultra-Casual Player Server

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Quill, Feb 5, 2019.

1. LittleBrumski Augur

I'll wager that whatever server offers the most gear with the least effort/time and maximizes krono sales will be where all the 'hardcore' people go, even if it is the ultra-casual server.
    Crayon123 likes this.
  2. Thalliius Augur

That is exactly what will happen

I’m predicting that the hardcore server will be a total failure with a really small population that won’t be profitable.

The more threads you read, the more obvious all the posturing gets from “hardcores” that really want a casual server they can “dominate” on with little competition.

My favorite posts are the ones where people are literally hoping they don’t actually specific which server is casual vs hardcore. They just want them to list out the rulesets and let people decide for themselves lololol... or in other words, they want to join the ultra casual but then pull a Trump and just tell everyone it’s actually the hardcore server

Anyone who talked a big game about being hardcore on these forums that then choose the ultra casual server are a total joke
    Crayon123 likes this.
  3. Machentoo Augur

With rare exceptions, what you just described has been DBG's strategy to a T.

With that said, I've yet to read a single one of your ideas that anyone other than yourself and one other poster would get behind. That should tell you something. If DBG were to want to innovate a bit, they should look elsewhere.
    snailish likes this.
  4. Montag Augur

They could enable beastlords and berserkers in classic for teh races that exist in classic. I'm sure it'd be a coding chore but far from impossible.
  5. snailish Augur

If give-it-to-me-easy was the magic solution Mayong 51/50 would still be rolling and there would be no characters under level 85 on servers with heroics enabled. [Note I think both mechanics can have a place... not the thread to discuss that.]

Any idea for the "ultra casual server" that doesn't recognize playing casual means less playtime but not wanting to get through everything faster is not going to catch the people it should be aimed at --those not playing on existing servers. Those that quit in early eras every progression because it goes to fast.

These ultra casuals don't want defiant early. These are the types that didn't like the PoP era newb armor early (could have been set for Luclin really, but again not the thread and they don't need to revisit that work).

As much as I personally don't enjoy playing classic in classic... this is where the ultra casual server should start and stay for a long unlock, before doing Kunark and Velious in a long unlock.

I love the idea of a trilogy start... for a hardcore server that is racing unlocks by beating targets, for next year's prog server that will likely be another Phinny...
  6. Quill Augur

Of course, we casually ignore that Mayong wasn't a 'give it to you easy' server. You still had to LFG @ 51, you still needed a full group for everything of note.

The magic sauce here is not the server itself, but the ability to destroy it in two-box. Give people that, with regular boxing and mercs starting at GoD, and watch out.

If people have freedom of movement and progression on a TLP, the server will destroy any other for population. People love the game, they don't love the down-time.
  7. Iyvy Augur

Quill, no one wants to start in GoD.

Both servers will start in Classic.

Quit bumping your own terrible threads. I'm trying to make good terrible threads
    Barton, Renshu and Crayon123 like this.
  8. Crayon123 Augur

Thank you.
  9. LittleBrumski Augur

I think an FT server that allows mercs, boxing, has AoC's for everything, has low pickzone thresholds/personal pickzones via krono, no motm, fast(er) xp, and fast unlocks (start with trilogy then go 2 months per unlock) would be immensely popular.

Lets people get stuff done with smaller guilds and groups, the pace would keep the game moving along each expansion.
    Quill likes this.
  10. yerm Augur

Smaller groups? Since you can buy anything and box anything, what reason is there to invite other people and/or grind outside your premade's ability? Without FV loot you may need actual human beings to help you with specific camps. With box restrictions you might need other people to fill your group.

The above sounds like a great hardcore server.
  11. Elite_raider Augur

If the Ultra Casual server has half AoC lockout timers, but the Hardcore server has normal lockout times but double loot.

This would accomplish 2 things.

Ultra Casual: More people available for spur of the moment raids since there is a lower chance of anyone being on a lockout (the prereq for this would be raids being made available to smaller spur of the moment Ultra Casual raid groups (6 to 24))

Hardcore: They will get the most loot with the minimal amount raiding per week compared to the Ultra Casual server.
  12. yerm Augur

So the hardcore server requires less playtime for the same loot as the casual?

Brilliant...
  13. Elite_raider Augur

Yupp, the point is if you are focused on getting the max loot per time spent, you are most likely a hardcore player and you would gravitate to the HC server.
  14. Tachyon Augur

If this is what you think the game needs just open a fresh live server like Vox was back in 2012. It was actually one of the most popular for many years. You could even not have it require a subscription like other live servers.
  15. Quill Augur

But I don't want a fresh Live server. I want a TLP with the sensibilities of Live in 2019. Which, if you're making an ultra-casual TLP, would be a necessity.

If what you think what this game needs is another Phinny-clone, play one of the three that already exist or the fourth that will probably be labelled the hardcore server.

All this angst and fear at my ideas, and people(whose money DBG already has) are telling me they're so obsessed with regular TLP that all they want is *that* OVER and OVER. Their dream setup is Server 1 a Phinny-Clone, with Agnarr XP(ultra-casual yee haw!)... and Server 2 a Phinny-Clone with Coirnav XP(soooo hardcore).

One guy was even like... don't you know how TLP works!?!@ I do. But calling that stuff ultra-casual, is like saying prison is a great place to call home.

Here is an apt quote that really encapsulates the attitude:

'These walls are kind of funny. First you hate ’em, then you get used to ’em. Enough time passes, gets so you depend on them. That’s institutionalized. They send you here for life, that’s exactly what they take. The part that counts, anyways.'
  16. Stagentti Augur

1. No one is afraid of your ideas. That's just funny.

2. DBG does not currently have my money. There's at least a dozen other people commenting the last couple weeks in the same boat, who quit during Coirnav or Agnarr.

3. Literally no one has suggested a Phinny clone. Absolutely no one.

4. People have shared dozen of new ideas. You obviously haven't read a single one if you think everyone wants a Phinny clone.

5. Since you obviously haven't gotten the clue yet: your idea is terrible. No one but you and 1 guy likes it. There are DOZENS of other ideas people like more.

Give. It. A. Rest.
    Genoane, Sethiroth and TheRedBandit like this.
  17. Bolten_DA Augur

Man they need to announce this soon. Its like the law of driving out here and we apply it to server ideas.. Anyone that drives faster than you is a maniac. Anyone that drives slower then you is a moron.
  18. Ceffener Augur

Even if they made a heavy solo friendly server and all raid content being single groupable. No one would want to start in GoD.
    Sethiroth likes this.
  19. Sethiroth Augur

Literally everyone wants max loot per time spent. This is not a hardcore trait. It’s a general MMO player trait. Everyone wants to see character progression for their time spent.
    Giving the hardcore players double the loot for time spent, over casual players seems a bit backward to me.
  20. Tachyon Augur

Mercs seemed to be a main point of yours so open the new server at SoD. Or better yet, roll a new toon on today's Phinny!