New player to EverQuest

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Premier2k, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Premier2k New Member

Hi everyone!

I've recently discovered EverQuest and been having a play with a few classes to see what I like. I've been a FF14 player for the past few years and figured I'd give this a go. I've been enjoying it so far, it seems like a big grind and I'm a huge fan of grind :D

I've just subbed to all access and I have a few questions before I commit to a class to level.
    First things first though, I'm going to be soloing for a while (with a merc) because I can't guarantee my time on here, I might pop on for a couple of hours but then might have to log off after just 5 minutes which isn't fair to party members.

1. I've been enjoying Necromancer but I understand there are areas I can't go to or I'll be kill on sight. Is this a problem?

2. Is there a better class to solo/molo with? (Does molo mean with a merc??)

3. I quite like the Druid but I'm unsure how that solos. Some websites say it's a great class to solo and some say it's not.

4. I've always been a tank on FF14 (Warrior) but it seems the tanks on EQ don't solo very well. Is that still the same with mercs? Is it just slow? I ask because eventually I might join a guild and would like to tank. If it was feasible I'd pick Warrior as my class.

5. Are they called Guilds? and how do I join one?

6. What is the Plane of Knowledge?

7. Any tips for the absolute noob? Remember, I like grind so I'm not interested in hitting top level as soon as I possibly can. I think the journey to max level is as fun as being max level.

Thanks everybody!

Premier2k
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Not sure what FF14 is but I know EQ!;) There are a lot of guides out there for playing but I will cover some base stuff here.

7. Do the tutorial - good things can be had there and it will teach you a lot. You can leave anytime you want by going behind the water fall or saying to Arias "I am ready to leave" When your level 10 you will leave - at that point go see Secalna Galnor up in POK - she can be found using the "find" key. She will cover getting rezzed, guilds, bazaar etc.

6. The Plane of Knowledge (POK) is the main "country" that we all go to. Has guild halls, merchants, tradeskill stuff etc. You can rest safely here and nothing attacks you.

5. That would be covered in the extended tutorial - but in a nutshell you can make your own, join one if someone invites you or join the in game one that you can get by doing the tutorial from Secalna. That one is basically just for ports so you can get around faster.

4. Sk are good tanks. Can't say much about warriors

3. You will need to play a druid to find out if it suits you.

2. Yes molo is with a merc

1. Nope you can slink around.

PS google is your friend! Look up whatever zone your in and see what quests and rewards there are or follow "The Heros Journey" Also if you like grinding look up tradeskills.

Welcome to the game!
    Premier2k likes this.
  3. bigpapa Augur

welcome the the GREAT game .
    some usefull links =
    can google --->>> everquest fanra / almarsguides / eqresource /eqinterface / allakhazam and raidloot.com = good for all items and spells ect/ eqtraders / everquest info , magelo , ect .

you can type /claim and a window will open and you can have some free stuff there .
    get gift of legacies lost , there is 10x double xp potions ( last 30min each ), 5x port to POK ( plane of knowledge ) and there are many portal you can use from POK , when you feel ok to leave tutorial you could use one of the gate to pok potion, and bind in pok as well ( many spell vendors are in POK as well .and mercs ect ).

once in pok you can buy some cheap ( one silver ) mixing bowl who can carry giant items x10. npc who sell that , chef denrun in pok ( can be other npc's as well )

in any zones you can use the find window ( CTRL+F ).

btw , you like grinding and it is ok, specially for a new players , there are so many zones and things to do, to keep you busy for a long time.

** I would play a * solo* class 1st ( class who is not very gear dependent ) there are some choices,
    necro, magician , beastlord, shaman , druid, ect,

any class will do fine up to level 60 or so , then merc s ( who are very overpowered at low levels ) loose their strength , because of the mobs difficulty.

solo class , shaman , druid can still do ok if they don't take too much hits and not always need to use a merc ( via root or snare )

pet class (necro , mage , bst ) can rely on a strong pet.
    necro pet is pretty good as well ( less than mage and bst pets tho ), necro have the choice to use.

if you decide to play a tank class , they are very gear dependent , but if you can play with some friends it can work, or being in a guild ( easier to find a group via guild ) they usually check in game for grouping before going into /general chat.

BTW what server are you playing? if in firiona vie I could give you a mount free. ect.
    Premier2k likes this.
  4. Premier2k New Member

Thanks guys for your replies. I've just kicked off a necromancer on Firona Vie and I'm also going to start a warrior and just switch between the two.
    I always play the tutorial, I quite like going around doing that find it a good start to evaluate a class.

Thanks for the offer of a free mount BigPapa, I won't accept it though. I like to get all these things myself the first time round. I find it fun getting that first achievement of getting mounts etc. But I really appreciate the offer.

If I hit 60 then I'll probably start looking at joining as guild so I can do dungeons and raids and stuff.

Is there a main storyline? I haven't found one yet?

Oh and CatsPaws, FF14 is Final Fantasy 14 another MMO.
  5. bigpapa Augur

np and if you ever need something in firiona vie you can always ask, ) I like to help there as much as I can,
    can be advices, plats , mounts , armors ect, and all free,

I got a little guild , pretty much me and my alts plus some who didn't want to be in a big guild 1st , and they can leave anytime my guild when they will find one to be a good fit for them.

in guild hall , we can have some pore portals from the npc as well.

guild halls can be accessed via Lobby ( from POK ) , bazaar is also via pok,
    Premier2k likes this.
  6. Premier2k New Member

BigPapa, I may look you up when I'm ready to join a guild! :) Probably more for advice than items.
  7. Captain Video Augur

To anyone who is coming over to EQ from FFXIV:

If you see an NPC with a ? mark or an ! point over its head, you're in the wrong game.
    Premier2k likes this.
  8. Riou EQResource

The story lines are basically contained in the expansions themselves and some pairs of expansions have a story line that follows each one (like how House of Thule to The Darkened Sea are all linked in a single story line)
    Premier2k likes this.
  9. Premier2k New Member

:D

Thanks Riou! I shall keep a look out for that
  10. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Warrior is the meatshield of EQ. Highly gear and AA dependent. They require some work but offer, I consider, the biggest payoff. A solid warrior is the anchor of any group. Pair a warrior with a competent healer in EQ, and you can pretty much go anywhere.

Druids are fantastic soloers. DoT kiting, root/rot, animal charm are a few of the many ways Druids can solo. Necros are probably the best soloers in the game.

Welcome to EQ, the show that never ends.