Brand New Player (Mostly)

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Bravefighter, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Bravefighter New Member

Hello everyone, Everquest is the legendary MMo I've heard many stories about throughout the years and it intrigues me so much. I did try the game out awhile back, but kinda chickened out before really getting to the good stuff.

Does anybody here have any advice for someone mostly brand new to the game? The idea of navigating 25 expansions seems daunting but really awesome at the same time.
  2. Buri Augur

One of the best things I can recommend is joining a guild. Every server has guilds that will take all levels. You'll have a lot of people more than willing to help you in every way, plus greater opportunities to make friends, which is the one main reason I'm still playing after 19 years. Joining a guild also gives you access to the guild portal, which is how most people travel in the game these days.
    As for what to do, there's unfortunately not a whole lot of guidance from the game. In plane of knowledge, look for Franklin Teek just outside of the guild lobby entrance: he gives daily quests for all levels, with good experience. Another piece of advice is don't try to do it all yourself... EQ was designed around HAVING to group to accomplish your goals, which makes for a much better social environment than most games.
  3. Xhartor Augur

EQ Also has several progression servers, which don't have all 25 expansions unlocked with a new one likely coming in a couple of month's. These have restricted features based the current era is the server is in. It might be a little less daunting to try the game at a stage where less content/features is available.
  4. Silver-Crow Augur

Agreed, starting on a progression server makes life a lot easier If you're coming in cold turkey as not all of the expansions are unlocked.

I would recommend starting on Phinny (see https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/if-youre-thinking-of-restarting.253704/) but if you want to start in an earlier era, then coirnav may be for you.

One caveat for coirnav however. Although the population looks good for now, expect it to drop sharply if a new TLP is announced as there's a high proportion of krono farmers and 'grass is always greener on the new server' types on coirnav at the moment.
  5. Trey Elder

Welcome to EQ!!
    I agree with some of the comments above about joining a TLP server, and I suggest joining the phinigel server. There's a great guild on that server, Phoenix Emerging, that has a great deal of players who are quite helpful to those new to this game. They've been quick to answer questions when asked--and what's cool is that they are very active and raid quite frequently too, so you'll have lots to do once you catch up in levels. On the Phinigel server you can also hire mercenaries to help you gain experience and there are a bunch of expansions that still haven't came out yet too--so there's lots more to come.
  6. Ultrazen Augur

The best things about Everquest, are the people and the grouping. My advice to you, would be to jump on a progression server, Phinigel is a good one, and get busy learning all the various systems in EQ. When the next TLP comes out, you can start a new character there, and really get the full experience of what EQ is like with a full server, and tons of active groups your level. To me, this is what really defines EQ. It's a game that really rewards, and in some cases demands, good group coordination.

It's possible to hop on a server, and use mercenaries to get your feet wet, and get a feel for the game and how everything works, but it's not nearly as engaging as being with real people, which is why I suggest jumping on the next TLP once it opens.

Because EQ is such a big game, with so many expansions, it's entirely possible to be the only person in a zone, especially one of the lower level zones on a server that's been around awhile. Try not to get discouraged by this, and hang in there long enough to catch the opening of a TLP, when to me, the game is at its best.

In general, people in EQ are extremely helpful. Sure, you'll run into the random jerk once in a while, as it is still the internet, but mostly, you'll find people very willing to answer questions and generally help you get settled in.

Welcome to Everquest, which to me, is still the best game ever made. You have a lot to look forward to, just stick with it, the reward is well worth it.
  7. Quill Augur

Sure. Wait for the TLP likely in March and you'll be able to start it from the beginning.
  8. Turinbar Augur

tbh....IT IS very hard to do anything w/o boxing after about level 70. Mobs just hit too hard. you and merc will have a tough time handling even cons , and forget yellow or red con.