Why do random tells get blocked for no reason?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Golgoret, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Golgoret Lorekeeper

It can get really annoying trying to hold basic conversations when random phrases seem to cause a tell to just not go through. For example:

"Do you remember how much an AAAA cost on phinny?" would not go through no matter who I sent it to, no matter how many times I tried, but the following worked every time:
    "Do you remember how much an AAAA went for on phinny?"

It happens really frequently to me, even when having completely innocuous conversations about things like fight mechanics. Certain phrasing just isn't allowed to go through until I rephrase it

Is this some kind of extremely inept attempt at blocking automated platinum or krono selling scams? That's all I can think of, since it seems to happen 100% of the time when I say certain things, often things involving numbers or words like plat or krono, but it happens enough with totally benign words and phrases that I sometimes literally can't communicate without breaking paragraphs down into individual sentences or words when sending tells, just to try and get it to actually go through.
  2. Golgoret Lorekeeper

Here's another example, I can't engage in basic commerce with another player in game:
    "ok, I will try to make a magic dd focus, extended range, detrimental mana pres, detrimental spell haste mechanoinstruction"

There is nothing in any way questionable about this tell. Why can't I send it?
  3. Smokezz The Bane Crew

If you're skipping the patcher, your account gets set to 0 days old. It's a known issue for at least 6 months now. Probably not going to get fixed since it hasn't been by now.
  4. Golgoret Lorekeeper

Why would the account being 0 days old cause only certain tells to get blocked?
  5. Silinius Augur

This has happened to me since the last patch (on both Lockjaw and Ragefire) and yes.. I've patched and no, I'm not skipping the patcher. Seems to be happening when the /tells are longer. If I go back and edit the tell to make it shorter, it goes through just fine.
  6. Smokezz The Bane Crew

There is a spam filter in place due to plat sellers, account sellers, etc. It's overly aggressive, and catches some seriously silly things though.
  7. Golgoret Lorekeeper

Aha. Well that would explain this. What an atrocious feature, it breaks basic human interaction, which is an interesting design choice for an MMO
  8. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Much like email spam filters... the spammers are to blame. Without the spam filter, channels and tells used to be overwhelmed with spam. Without a spam filter on email, you get , scam, nigerian prince emails like crazy.
  9. Laynie Journeyman

This happens to me as well when chatting with friends. Tells will randomly show up marked as "spam" for apparently no rhyme or reason.