I found a mouse in my house (read)

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Duddles, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Duddles Lorekeeper

As I waited for EQ to come back online 19 hours from now (maybe) I heard squeaking...
    I checked my glue traps and there he was. A tiny baby mouse, I mean, a BABY. He is squeaking and putting up a good effort, his lil paw is stuck and the tip of his tail.

It's been about 3 hours now and I have him sitting on the desk next to me, he still squeaks but he's not scared of me anymore and even ate a little piece of cracker I gave him.

I think he has earned the right to live so I can't find anything on kine about freeing a mouse from a glue trap...

Any ideas guys?
  2. Duddles Lorekeeper

OH AND>>>

[IMG]
  3. Duddles Lorekeeper

4. Thunderkiks Augur

Our cat got stuck in 3 of them once. Vegetable oil worked wonders. She was pretty torqued about the several baths that came afterwards though.
  5. Draxel New Member

Oils are among the best and safest solvents for freeing trapped pets. Any vegetable-based cooking oil will work, such as canola oil, corn oil or peanut oil. Whenever possible, heat the oil a bit by holding the bottle under running hot water. Test the oil on your wrist before applying it to your pet -- it should feel warm but not hot. Alternatively, butter, lard or peanut butter may help free your pet if you do not have access to a cooking oil.
    Rest and Recovery

After you remove the glue board from your pet, she is likely to be anxious, so you want to let her rest in a quiet place for a while. Before doing so, though, you need to remove as much of the residual glue and oil as possible. Gently bathe your pet in lukewarm water and work through her fur with a gentle liquid soap. Rinse her well and dry her with a towel before leaving her alone.
    Duddles and 3rdblindMouse like this.
  6. Khat_Nip Meow

Glue traps are absolutely horrible no matter the age of the animal.
    Would you like to suffer that way?
  7. Duddles Lorekeeper

HE IS FREEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh my god thank you guys, THANK YOU!!!!
    Roxxlyy, Mintalie, moogs and 3 others like this.
  8. haaaalp Augur

Also, I've been in the game for over two hours. Get good casual.
  9. Flatchy Court Jester

Why in hell would you put glue traps up if you do not intend to kill the mouse? Trying to catch a new pet? Get a cat if its worth its salt you wont have mice.
    code-zero likes this.
  10. IblisTheMage Augur

If he wants a new mouse-pet, a cat is not the solution...

:)
  11. moogs Augur

This reminds me of how we used to infuse olive oil with garlic and fresh herbs. One day my mother began heating up a pan and found that the oil was not flowing from the bottle per usual. A mouse had somehow managed to squeeze into the 2cm wide bottle top and drowned. We ordered pizza.
    Shanarias and IblisTheMage like this.
  12. svann Augur

Slightly OT, how would you go about killing a mouse if it really had to die?
    Cat brings a mouse home half dead.
    Do you bag it and trash it alive?
    Throw it out in the street to slowly die of its wounds?
    Hit it in the head with a hammer?
    Cut off its head with a carving knife?

Letting the cat keep it is not an option as it may escape and die in the wall somewhere.
    Ive done it many ways but never happy about it. Fortunately we moved and dont have mice anymore.
  13. Finfan Augur

I have occasionally had to finish one off. I use the "blow to the head" method. My preferred method of defense against rodents is the standard mousetrap. At $0.79 each I just throw the trap out with the mouse after I catch one. I would like to point out to Duddles that if you caught a young one like that you most likely have a nest in your house/apartment. There are more of them somewhere!
  14. IblisTheMage Augur

Also hated finishing them off, they are so gorram cute and small. If they could just stay outside...
  15. Flatchy Court Jester

Heh difference between city folk and country folk I assume. Then again I will eat when the poo hits the fan lol. Spent yesterday in a treestand but didnt have to clean a deer yet, then again didnt have to drag one either.
  16. moogs Augur

When my friend caught one on a sticky trap and the thing was squeaking and squealing she didn't know what to do. We didn't know about the vegetable oil trick. She lives next to a river, so that was one (horrible) option. Another option was to take it to the parking lot of her apartment and reverse over it with her vehicle. Whacking it with a college textbook was another. I don't remember how she chose to get it over with, but I assure you it was none of those things. Not in any way okay with animal cruelty so it's probably best not to carry on with the topic. Instead, here is a video of cats not hurting living things: