How to evaluate Type 7/8 augs

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by Cacky, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Cacky Elder

I have not done any testing, parsing or otherwise, to figure out what the best formula is. But this is something to start with -- I welcome any well reasoned tweaks or criticisms from anyone, but particularly with a view toward high end raiding.

Spell Dmg x 1
    ATK x 1
    AC x 2
    HP x 1
    HSta x 4
    HAgi x 4
    HDex x 35
    HStr x 4
    Add it all together to get a single "score" for each aug, and then order them accordingly.

Here are some outcomes:
    Artisan's Prize - 11,050
    Extruded Black Pearl - 1,746
    Silver-Etched Coin - 1,535
    Hero's Calling - 730
    Frosted Gem of Ferocity - 25
    etc.

Personally, I am sort of comfortable with the way I've got AC through HStr, but not sure if spell damage and/or attack should be weighted more (or less??). Weights do not need to be integers, so spell damage could be set at 1.3 or what have you.

Any thoughts?
  2. Brohg Augur

hSta is like 15hp per? +a bit depending on class? like, plain math. each point is that many hp. Given the additional if marginal contribution toward endurance regen & melee shielding, it's pretty sketch to value it at 1/4th the hp it makes...

value of Atk is hella binary, it's not a "1", it's "yes" or "no" depending on whether or not you're capped on worn Atk.

the hStr, hAgi & hDex valuations are, obviously, super arbitrary. To most that swing weapons, including you we presume since you're posting in the Hybrid forum, 4 / 4 / 35 feels approximately right? But a whole lot of folks just remove from consideration any non-hDex aug
  3. Regazozo Journeyman

I can see this being useful in cases where you are having a hard time picking one aug over another. I personally just follow my gut when it comes to which augs I use. I am a Beastlord so I lean towards dex but I have several augs with no dex on them because they are overall better in my personal opinion. Currently Beastlords main source of damage is magical/proc based, so in my case I weight spell damage a bit higher. Also keep in mind that there are breakpoints for accuracy you have to take into consideration, in those cases you may use a slightly weaker aug but end up with higher damage because you hit the break point.
  4. roth Augur

Personally, as long as HDex is going up, and the aug has AC and HP on it, I really don’t care what else it has. There is no time where one additional Spell Dmg or HSta point will make or break your character; there is no time where 100 more Spell Dmg or HStr will make or break your character.

A beastlord friend of mine once told me, a few years back (some months before he quit EQ) that he was going a full Spell Dmg focus, and saw his DPS go up as a result. I’ve no idea whether that would be true in today’s greater-than-8 HDex aug environment though. Maybe it would, given the sheer HDex available through slot 5’s. Maybe it wouldn’t. All I can suggest is get the augs and parse to compare.
  5. Cacky Elder

I think you're right that hSta is underrepresented.

I'm looking at the following changes:
    hSta x 16 (was x 4)
    hStr x 2 (was x 4)
    hWis x 0.5 (was 0 / omitted)
    and just to keep up the relative importance of hDex ...
    hDex x 40 (was x 35)
    I am also thinking about upping hDex even more, assuming all the other attributes stay the same. Or taking down hAdj a bit, and maybe even hStr more.
    This is specifically from the point of view of a ranger, not supposed to be 1-size-fits-all. Feel free to suggest changes for different classes.
  6. Saer-tse-tao Journeyman

Cacky I really like this! I main an enchanter and am now getting into a ranger and can say that this is pretty helpful. I would make a couple slight adjustments:
    1. List the class this is meant for - even tho it applies to multiple classes it "feels" like ranger material.
    2. Realize the impact is always small by any standard (which I do think you have done.
    3. Spell damage should have a higher value - Hstats can be "junk" ie Hint for priests Hcha for everyone and the same can be said for Hsta if you arent getting hit. I would value it either second or third behind Hdex then AC.
    4. I would place values based on the ability to affect game play. What I mean by that is spell damage adds a tiny amt, but endurance for a caster adds next to nothing.
    Anyways good work! Nice to see more user friendly approaches to a complex game.
  7. Ronove Lorekeeper

where are you getting this formula that im not even sure I understand how you are getting the scores... I know what works, but I dont have a formula that I go by, I pick augs by AC, then Hagi, then HP then Hdex but the ratios change depending on your play style, class, group habits, raiding, etc I dont think you could even come up with a formula, but its good that you are aware of the dynamic mechanics
  8. p2aa Augur

I'm a raid tank and I'm using also a formula to evaluate if I replace type 7/8 and type 5 augs or not. I apply this same formula for non visible stuff that is not "tank" labelled, aka rings and earrings.
    This formula is 1 AC = 1 HSta = 2 HAgi = 6 Hdex = 10 HP. The difference is that I divide instead of multiply. For example, an aug with 40 AC, 3 HSta, 6 HAgi and 200 HP, will score 66 for me (40 + 3 + (6/2) + (200 /10)). I disregard all other stats.
  9. Cacky Elder

On #1 you got me, I definitely made it for rangers.

And of course 3 and 4 are reasonable - figure out what stats actually matter for you in practice, and adjust accordingly.
  10. Cacky Elder

I'm making up the formula, trying to fine tune it with community input.

If you can use a spreadsheet, one way to use a formula like this is to have row headings like AC, HP, HSTR, HSTA, etc.. And then on row 2, you would put in the number, like the ones I have assigned above, or your own custom numbers. Then each row below that you would enter the stats for an aug. Finally, in a column to the right, after you have recorded all of your stats, you would make a formula like this: suppose in column A you have the name of the aug, and then column B is AC, column C is HP, etc., etc., all the way to for example column J is your last stat, say spell damage. Then in column K, I would put =productsum($B$2:$J$2,B3:J3). And just drag that forumula down with each new aug you enter in, and you'll have a "score" for each aug.

You might very well be able to estimate them all in your head without any formulas. Nothing wrong with that. But if you want to try to be analytical about it, or double check your gut reactions, etc., or if you're newer to the game and/or class and just aren't as familiar with all the stats and/or augs, this might be useful.
  11. Lilranja New Member