Best class to start now Kunark is about to launch? (Coirnav)

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Motrax, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Accipiter Old Timer

Also, later SKs get their insta-cast hate spells and an AE taunt spell. Not to mention lifetap, Harm Touch, Leech Touch (AA), a bazillion innate lifetap AAs, FD, snare, etc. I would never consider Pally over SK but I respect others may not see it that way.
  2. Machentoo Augur

Rogue makes a great passive box now that there is autobackstab. One of the absolute best classes for it.

Have the rogue autofollow the tank, have the tank position the mobs correctly so that back is to the rogue, and you never even have to touch the rogue outside of one assist key per fight.
    Gana and snailish like this.
  3. Raltar Augur

Paladins are way better on raids than Shadowknights. You only need 1 or maybe 2 SKs in a raid because they don't really offer a ton of raid utility. Paladins, on the other hand, offer group heals and cures in addition to off tanking, which is pretty huge.
  4. Barc Lorekeeper

While I wholeheartedly agree with that statement, then I think it'd be hard if OP decides to duo or the like. Seems like you need at least a trio for a paladin to shine.

I also agree with the rogue statement above. Positioning and backstabbing isn't much of an issue anymore.
  5. Machentoo Augur

Paladins don't have a single group heal or cure in Kunark, which is what the OP asked about.
  6. HoodenShuklak Augur

At least on agnarr sks are still great at burn fights. I would say your statement is almost the opposite. 1 or 2 pallies is fine but really they are so rare thats all youll probably get.
  7. snailish Augur

That is a really interesting point. Are we seeing a lot of rogue boxes on progression as rogue itemization picks up?

If we had reliable census data, there would surely be spikes from significant changes like that (along with the flavor of the expac ones).
  8. slayerofbats Augur

I know Kunark well, I played through it when it first released in 2000, and then again twice on servers that started later on. The best choices for Kunark are clear, but depends what you want to do. Best DPS? Best tank? Best healer? Best to slack off and get all the DKP with no effort? Best looking? etc?

Best for tanking? Warrior is the only option. SK or Pally can't tank the tougher raid content. Best for healing? Cleric is the only option, the others kinda suck at healing. If you pick a Cleric, be prepared to do CH chains.

Best for slacking off? I would pick a Paladin, they are basically worthless. They don't get asked to do anything at all, you can semi afk an entire raid and people wouldn't even notice, and you will still get your DKP. They can't tank, heal, dps, or buff worth a crap, and even their rez sucks. Actually they have 1 ok buff, so show up at the start and cast your pink heart, then auto follow someone for the next 3 hours and come back at the end for your DKP. Beastlord is pretty similar. Their mana buff is nice, but besides that, nobody cares if you are there or not. You can't tank, dps, heal, buff, cc, and you don't even look good. (DPS can get ok actually, but still, nobody will ever notice.) Necro can sometimes be a good choice too because you can slack off during the 3 hours of trash pulls on every raid (your dps sucks anyway), yet on the big raid bosses your dps can be quite ok, enough to feel like you are contributing something at least. Yet you only have 1 buff that is rarely needed, so you can be afk most of the time. The only problem is if your guild is low on good SK's or Monks, in that case you might have to pull sometimes which is bad. See below.

For best DPS, it is either Rogue or Ranger. I would pick a Ranger. Their dps is huge, regularly get the highest class on parses, and they never get asked to do anything! Rogue is probably the highest most often, and they get to slack off so much! They are so lazy, they are afk 90% of most raids, then they just get behind the final raid boss, do huge DPS and get all the glory if anyone is parsing. Although the downside of a rogue is that sometimes you need to save the day if a raid goes wrong and you have to drag 100 corpses all over the place. Wizard is a possibility too, but their aggro can be a bit spiky, they need to evac sometimes and get asked a lot for ports. But the main hesitation I have over Wiz is that a lot of content in Kunark is helping fellow guildies do Epic 1.0s, and most of those have magic immune mobs. So you are basically a taxi on all those mini raids. I have seen them get top dps on some raid mobs though, but mostly that is only if you can use rains which is very rare because usually there are nearby mobs that are mezzed, and it can cause trouble with aggro too. You would have to do the concussion quest or it would suck.

Worst classes to pick? Shaman. You get asked for buffs 100 times a minute, people will raise their eyebrow if someone dies even though your heals suck and Clerics should be doing the healing, your dps is always middle of the pack no matter how hard you try, and you have to be there for every single mob including every trash because you have to slow everything (or try, it resists so much). You are basically a workhorse with no glory and it isn't even fun. SK's suck too, you often have to pull because Bard's play that entire expansion without the only worthwhile and class defining ability (GG Verant). If your guild has a good Monk you might get off lightly though, although Monks sometimes defer to SK's because Monks are squishy. So if you want to do all the hard work while the rest of the raid watches TV, pick a puller.

Mediocre picks: All the rest.
  9. Machentoo Augur

This has to win some kind of award for the most incorrect details in a single post. Almost nothing in the entire post was accurate. Maybe in 2000 it would have gotten some things right, but not even close today.

Tanking - knights are fine tanks, can tank almost anything in the expansion, and have much better aggro capabilities than warrior. If you take the approach that only warriors can tank anything in Kunark, you are not doing your guild any favors.

DPS - rogues and rangers, what fantasy land have you been living in? Try monk, with a side of monk. Wizard or necro on some fights. SK. Not rogue, and sure as heck not ranger.

Three hours of trash clear? In Kunark? What zone are you spending three hours clearing trash? Not even back in 2000, when no one knew how to get to Trakanon.

My favorite part was when you accused Verant of failing to include the bard's class defining ability in Kunark. You know, the class defining ability that didn't even exist during Kunark, because it wasn't invented until two years later.

Good job on getting the part about Shamans and buffing correct though.
  10. slayerofbats Augur

Then that server is nothing like classic, because pallys and SK's would die in 2 seconds to anything in VP, even trash.

None of them came close on parses to rogue and ranger.

You talk about fantasy lands yet people spent entire weeks trying to break Fear and Hate in real EQ. People lost corpses forever. Kunark gave more levels and better gear but a small guild could still take ages to clear Fear during Kunark. Royals took forever unless you had someone to summon you down there. I think most of you people have no idea what real EQ even was. When you steamroll down there with 90 people and all kinds of out of era changes DB never bothered to change, you aren't playing real Kunark.

But how am I wrong? It is a class defining ability and they don't have it yet at that point... So Bards can't pull.
  11. Machentoo Augur

Fade was not a class defining ability in Kunark. It didn't exist. Bards weren't primary pullers in Kunark, monks were. You might as well complain that they don't give wizards their instant cast nukes or twincast.

As for the rest, the guy asked for info on Kunark on Coirnav, not Kunark in your memory from 18 years ago. The game has changed, a lot, and you are correct--these servers are very little like the game was 18 years ago.
  12. Machentoo Augur

Also don't assume just because we understand how EQ works now that we don't remember how it worked then. I spent 14 hours pulling corpses in fear once on my monk, after everyone else had gone to bed, so that the entire guild wouldn't lose their corpses. I remember those times well. But, it doesn't take 3 hours to clear fear trash now.
  13. microscope New Member

Twincast doesn't affect a Wizzy's job though it just makes them better at it, Fade does change the class's role. It turned Bards into pullers, and the best ones in the game. Without that ability, the job fell to one of the 3 FD classes and nobody else. That was the point of my post that seems to have gone way over your head for some reason? Coirnov or not, without that ability, if you pick an FD class, you have a chance of being needed to pull on raids.

It's not Kunark in my memory, it is real Kunark. You can still play it today on various servers that care about accuracy. And I doubt the ez version on Coirnav changes much if anything in my post.
  14. Machentoo Augur

Completely irrelevant in a thread where the OP asked about classes on Coirnav.
  15. slayerofbats Augur

Real Kunark is completely irrelevant to progression Kunark?
  16. Machentoo Augur

Yes. If you haven't played on progression you have no clue.
  17. taliefer Augur

im not sure i have ever seen so much wrong information contained in just one post before. well done sir
  18. HoodenShuklak Augur

He got a lot right.

Clerics ch.
    Shamans are constantly busy.
    Pallies... many raids probably don't even have 1. Are they taking a lot?
    The only glaring thing i saw wrong was monk auto dps seems to dwarf most melee until luclin. But either way, its a solid do nothing gig like he said. Pick a lock and disarm a couple traps in luclin.
  19. slayerofbats Augur

Then why would I play on a progression if it is nothing like real Kunark.... I think you are just hurt because you are a pally.
  20. Arclyte Augur

why are you trying to give someone advice when you know you have no idea what tlp is like?